bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-01-2022, 02:15 AM   #1
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Not so obvious menus and features- what have you found

Who’s got time to read an owner manual cover to cover, then even if you do some of the firmware updates change things anyway.
I found 2 really useful menus which are not in your face and easily missed.
Please share yours too

1: Why is it whenever you set to even the coldest temperature the AC never seems to get that cold, and being in a subtropical climate AC is needed every day. Seems you could set the temperature on driver or passenger side but it never really gets that cold until I found this hiding in plain sight:
In the AC menu there’s a vent temperature setting which does the trick, so why not just use the set temperature instead of having 2 settings

2: Another one in plain sight thanks to Doug DeMuro’s review on our car
Activation points for the cameras. Very useful for automatically activating the front/rear camera at various settable location points:
Just press the camera button in iDrive

Whist these may be obvious to some or most hopefully these and more contributions would be useful
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
Shieze
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i

Is this temperature adjustment just making it so that if you set 22c that it treats it much colder?

IE if this is ok in summer won't this negatively impact me in winter for the climate control or am I misunderstanding how this works?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
ZacMatic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i xDrive

Here's page 237 of the US manual. It's really not clear what this "temperature of the ventilation" does. Is this a way to make the climate system reach your chosen temperature faster/slower?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieze View Post
Is this temperature adjustment just making it so that if you set 22c that it treats it much colder?

IE if this is ok in summer won't this negatively impact me in winter for the climate control or am I misunderstanding how this works?
It looks like only the mid vents are controlled only from cold to warm with neutral as the default and can be adjusted at any time from the AC menu in the centre strip.
Because this is not an obvious or logical function it does take away significantly from cooling in a warm climate or summer if you are not aware of it.
The neutral setting is just not cold enough for a warm climate
I can't remember ever using heating in any car except when travelling interstate
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacMatic View Post
Here's page 237 of the US manual. It's really not clear what this "temperature of the ventilation" does. Is this a way to make the climate system reach your chosen temperature faster/slower?
Good find
And you are right, it's not really clear and if used in the default position might give you an overall balanced temperature but does not give cooling or heating relief from the vents
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Good find
And you are right, it's not really clear and if used in the default position might give you an overall balanced temperature but does not give cooling or heating relief from the vents
F generation has this too. It’s so you can have cooler or warmer air blowing on your face while the lower vents toss out the heat.

Lots want heat but not blowing on their face.
Appreciate 4
      05-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
ZacMatic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
F generation has this too. It’s so you can have cooler or warmer air blowing on your face while the lower vents toss out the heat.

Lots want heat but not blowing on their face.
This is my first BMW. I've only owned one Mercedes (or two if you count the third gen Smart) before, and I thought MB held the crown for most over-engineered features. Turns out BMW has even more obscure, customizable features, many of which you would never know about without digging though the menus or reading the manual.

Fun things this car does that my A-Class (first gen MBUX) did not:
  • Hold down the camera button to start a dash cam recording
  • Set location to automatically turn on front camera
  • Set location to automatically roll down window
  • Lock doors when driver walks away from car
  • Unlock doors when driver approaches car
  • Enable or disable each of the above door locking features independently
  • Set heated seat and heated steering wheel climate rules
  • Parking assistance system starts measuring possible parking spaces when driving below a certain speed, not just once you press the parking button
  • Option to automatically switch in-progress phone call from infotainment to handset when engine is turned off
  • Recommended tire pressures displayed in infotainment, not just current tire pressure

There are a couple things MB does that I am missing in BMW, but I won't list those here.
Appreciate 3
      05-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #8
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacMatic View Post
This is my first BMW. I've only owned one Mercedes (or two if you count the third gen Smart) before, and I thought MB held the crown for most over-engineered features. Turns out BMW has even more obscure, customizable features, many of which you would never know about without digging though the menus or reading the manual.

Fun things this car does that my A-Class (first gen MBUX) did not:
  • Hold down the camera button to start a dash cam recording
  • Set location to automatically turn on front camera
  • Set location to automatically roll down window
  • Lock doors when driver walks away from car
  • Unlock doors when driver approaches car
  • Enable or disable each of the above door locking features independently
  • Set heated seat and heated steering wheel climate rules
  • Parking assistance system starts measuring possible parking spaces when driving below a certain speed, not just once you press the parking button
  • Option to automatically switch in-progress phone call from infotainment to handset when engine is turned off
  • Recommended tire pressures displayed in infotainment, not just current tire pressure

There are a couple things MB does that I am missing in BMW, but I won't list those here.
I think you are right about the brands, so far I’ve found BMW way better over MB and Audi (which has major issues here with reliability of software). A great list and thank you for the contribution
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:57 AM   #9
g42bmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i, 2020 M340i

Set shortcut button for CarPlay. Took me the 3rd BMW to figure this one out.
You go to Apps -> select CarPlay, then press and hold 1-8. You can't do this while on Home Screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #10
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g42bmw View Post
Set shortcut button for CarPlay. Took me the 3rd BMW to figure this one out.
You go to Apps -> select CarPlay, then press and hold 1-8. You can't do this while on Home Screen.
Yes those shortcut buttons are really handy, but you can be even more specific, for example you can go right to maps (music or phone) by selecting navigation in iDrive then as follows in the photo below
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
g42bmw47.50
      05-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
woodstock25
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Thats really useful - thanks!
Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00
      05-07-2022, 05:33 AM   #12
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Yes those shortcut buttons are really handy, but you can be even more specific, for example you can go right to maps (music or phone) by selecting navigation in iDrive then as follows in the photo below
You can also do the same for going straight into "Contacts" in AndroidAuto/Car Play.
Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00