BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Litchfield Bilstein EDC coilover kit on order

04-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
fstclyz
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2 CS

Litchfield Bilstein EDC coilover kit on order

I'm about to order the Litchfield kit for my CS. See Chris Harris' vid on it if interested.

The kit is about $4300 shipped. If anyone else is interested, we might be able to get a discount....

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...ling-upgrades/

Litchfield and others say the ride quality is softer then stock in "comfort" mode and maybe a tad stiffer in "sport +". Most owners of Litchfield suspension seem to be very happy with the setups (shock compression/rebound settings and spring rates). Litchfield also sends a recommended alignment setup based on your driving goals.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Did you contact them directly? If this kit could be set very near stock ride height, or perhaps only 1/8" lower max, I could be interested. Slightly softer ride in comfort might be worth it, especially if it can be stiffened up with the other two settings.
      04-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #3
GM2CS
Present:
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Watched the video numerous times and have thought about it. Looking forward to your feedback after install and drive

Last edited by GM2CS; 04-19-2022 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
fstclyz
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Did you contact them directly? If this kit could be set very near stock ride height, or perhaps only 1/8" lower max, I could be interested. Slightly softer ride in comfort might be worth it, especially if it can be stiffened up with the other two settings.
I have talked with them directly. I didn't ask that question but just emailed them. Good question. I don't really care as my 1st priority was lowering the car but this will be good to know. Their next shipment of kits is about 2-3 weeks away and they ship Fedex or UPS to the states. Shipping is roughly $375.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstclyz View Post
I have talked with them directly. I didn't ask that question but just emailed them. Good question. I don't really care as my 1st priority was lowering the car but this will be good to know. Their next shipment of kits is about 2-3 weeks away and they ship Fedex or UPS to the states. Shipping is roughly $375.
If they confirm, I might consider this. Full disclosure, I was considering reaching out to them after I watched the Chris Harris video as well.
      04-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

The engineer in me has a lot of questions about this. Experience has demonstrated that small changes to valving can make huge benefits so I suspect they have created something that is really neat, but my money, at least for now is going into camber plates and control arms.

Please do keep us updated on the outcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #7
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Man I want to sit in that CS to feel how each setting feels before plunking down $4k+

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #8
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Man I want to sit in that CS to feel how each setting feels before plunking down $4k+
While I agree with this 100%, I am fairly certain the opportunity will not present itself. It would be nice for another CS owner to review these and say with absolute certainty that the ride quality is improved (in comfort). I am not looking to make this car handle better, in stock for it is way more than I need on the street.
      04-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #9
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
While I agree with this 100%, I am fairly certain the opportunity will not present itself. It would be nice for another CS owner to review these and say with absolute certainty that the ride quality is improved (in comfort). I am not looking to make this car handle better, in stock for it is way more than I need on the street.
Yes, definitely the same sentiment. I know the MP HAS is not necessarily the best on the track, but I'm not willing to give up every-day sensibility for more track setup. For me, the compromise has to be made to live 80% street and that last 20% having fun on the track.

Appreciate 1
M3R12185.00
      04-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Yes, definitely the same sentiment. I know the MP HAS is not necessarily the best on the track, but I'm not willing to give up every-day sensibility for more track setup. For me, the compromise has to be made to live 80% street and that last 20% having fun on the track.
This is how I feel and has guided my approach to the CS, so far at least and you never know where the rabbit hole ends but I have decided to start with simple changes to the underlying suspension adjustability and and beefing up those parts to accommodate track days while retaining stock characteristics, perhaps with a bit of additional noise.

I ended up going down the SPL rabbit hole and purchased their front tension rods, front end links and lower control arms, rear tow links, rear upper and lower arms and traction links. Also ground control front camber plates.

The above *should* based on past experience result in a more or less stock car with the ability to vastly improve the alignment front and rear and most importantly have it stay at said adjustment on the track.

Time will tell I suppose and maybe I am wrong. Such is the process.
Appreciate 1
sdhotwn2128.50
      04-22-2022, 12:55 AM   #11
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F87 CS, G21 B58

I have these on order since January. Originally, they said it would be ready to ship by late / Feb / early March, however as of last update two weeks ago they said Bilstein had a delay in machining some of the parts and still waiting for an ETA unfortunately.

I decided to go with this set as I have had positive experience with the Litchfield Bilstein set for the R35 GTR before. The CS stock suspension setup feels a bit skittish / too harsh on my local roads. I wanted a suspension that would retain the EDC capability (daily driver) while offering a more supple ride, which I have found with the GTR setup before.

Time will tell if it works as prescribed. Will post some notes when it arrives (eventually).
Appreciate 2
M3R12185.00
MR M2C0.00
      04-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #12
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Are the folks here who have ordered this kit planning on using them with factory top mounts or in conjunction with camber plates?

This kit is on my list of very likely future mods.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 11:51 PM   #13
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm View Post
The CS stock suspension setup feels a bit skittish / too harsh on my local roads.
Are you using comfort mode? Have you gone to "lowering springs"? I've got a bumpy fast bit of road where I am and I'm amazed how good it is. No sign of being skittish at all. That was the biggest difference for me between M2C and CS. The C definitely became skittish. The CS is firm but compliant in comfort. Comfort is of course a complete misnomer. It should be called bumpy, normal, smooth performance mode. Luxury comfort ride is not in the vocabulary of this car and nor would I ever want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 04:04 AM   #14
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

M2 Cs Suspension : Comfort Mode is Very Poised

Interesting that someone states that they find the Cs suspension is very “skittish” in Comfort Mode .

I find that very surprising and not what I have experienced.

My Cs is just as it was manufactured and with nil modifications to the suspension .

Where I live (Perth Wa) the roads can be far from perfect and in Comfort Mode it is very Compliant and Poised .

I was genuinely surprised just how good the Bmw M EDC Suspension Engineering is . My Cs is fitted with the Michelin Sport Cup 2 tyres which complement the suspension for grip and stability.

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 2
Davil6573.50
JoeMatt160.00
      04-23-2022, 04:09 AM   #15
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Hi Davil, the car is surely left in comfort mode and on stock setup. In fact, it has become 2nd nature to switch to comfort damping / steering / and econo engine setting as soon as I roll out from my garage spot before switching to engine in sport later after oil temp is at normal operating level. I would not even bother with switching the damping away from comfort and is left there for 99% of time I use the car.

The roads in my area are hilly, twisty, and not the smoothest tarmac by any means so from years of experience of driving various cars there I have sort of developed a gauge of road feel, although from a very personal enthusiastic driver view and not a scientific one whatsoever. I only wish I have studied such a subject to offer more objective input in that regard!

With the CS, driving through this road and amongst many in HKG with similar road surfaces, the interior would be rattling (i.e. passenger sun visor and some console bits creating creaks and other rattling nuisance. I have to admit I have a bit of OCD with excess rattling / creaking so it was a bit hard to accept.) Understand it's not a luxury limousine with magic carpet ride quality, but I have driven various sports cars of German / British / Italian make and it would not creak or rattle to this extent yet offered a supple, appropriately dampered ride quality). In comfort damping mode, those nuisances persist albeit to a lesser extent. I relate this to my experience with the Nismo R35 which was known to have high NVH. I daily driven that car and did not track it so swapped the OEM Bilstein to a custom valved kit that was still EDC compatible. It worked wonders on the the ride quality without compromise so I am simply looking that it will replicate the same experience with the CS. If it does not work as prescribe I can always switch back.

I can see how you may allude that I have lowering springs as that sort of ride harshness reminds me of a time almost a decade ago when I just swapped out the OEM springs to H&R lowering springs in the Megane RS (MKII). Initially, it felt more 'sporty' with less weight transfer on spirited drives and seemingly improved traction. However, as soon as I travelled through certain local road sections where the pavement was less than glass smooth (not much of that nice stuff here really except on the highways) the sense of harshness and vibration would transfer through the chassis into my seats / steering, etc and the traction became somewhat skittish as the car 'bounced' around a bit more. It got worse as I daily drove the car so I imagine the struts were taking a lot more stress with the shortened travel and lowered working life. So I vowed never to put just lowering springs again. Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Are you using comfort mode? Have you gone to "lowering springs"? I've got a bumpy fast bit of road where I am and I'm amazed how good it is. No sign of being skittish at all. That was the biggest difference for me between M2C and CS. The C definitely became skittish. The CS is firm but compliant in comfort. Comfort is of course a complete misnomer. It should be called bumpy, normal, smooth performance mode. Luxury comfort ride is not in the vocabulary of this car and nor would I ever want it to be.

Last edited by krm; 04-23-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #16
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi Davil, the car is surely left in comfort mode and on stock setup. In fact, it has become 2nd nature to switch to comfort damping / steering / and econo engine setting as soon as I roll out from my garage spot before switching to engine in sport later after oil temp is at normal operating level. I would not even bother with switching the damping away from comfort and is left there for 99% of time I use the car.

The roads in my area are hilly, twisty, and not the smoothest tarmac by any means so from years of experience of driving various cars there I have sort of developed a gauge of road feel, although from a very personal enthusiastic driver view and not a scientific one whatsoever. I only wish I have studied such a subject to offer more objective input in that regard!

With the CS, driving through this road and amongst many in HKG with similar road surfaces, the interior would be rattling (i.e. passenger sun visor and some console bits creating creaks and other rattling nuisance. I have to admit I have a bit on OCD on excess rattling / creaking so it was a bit hard to accept.) Understand it's not a luxury limousine with magic carpet ride quality, but I have driven various sports cars of German / British / Italian make and it would not creak or rattle to this extent yet offered a supple, appropriately dampered ride quality). In comfort damping mode, those nuisances persist albeit to a lesser extent. I relate this to my experience with the Nismo R35 which was known to have high NVH. I daily driven that car and did not track it so swapped the OEM Bilstein to a custom valved kit that was still EDC compatible. It worked wonders on the the ride quality without compromise so I am simply looking that it will replicate the same experience with the CS. If it does not work as prescribe I can always switch back.

I can see how you may allude that I have lowering springs as that sort of ride harshness reminds me of a time almost a decade ago when I just swapped out the OEM springs to H&R lowering springs in the Megane RS (MKII). Initially, it felt more 'sporty' with less weight transfer on spirited drives and seemingly improved traction. However, as soon as I travelled through certain local road sections where the pavement was less than glass smooth (not much of that nice stuff here really except on the highways) the sense of harshness and vibration would transfer through the chassis into my seats / steering, etc and the traction became somewhat skittish as the car 'bounced' around a bit more. It got worse as I daily drove the car so I imagine the struts were taking a lot more stress with the shortened travel and lowered working life. So I vowed never to put just lowering springs again. Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.
I agree with krm in the sense that a perfectly "dialed for the car" suspension can be achieved without compromise. I suspect the M2cs has the same EDC system as it's big brothers. Since the M2cs weighs a little less and has a shorter wheelbase I think it is not 100% optimized for the car. It is improved over the M2c (which I also owned), but not perfect as krm is describing. I have since gone to 255/275 PSS's and the ride quality is slightly better even. I bet Mr Harris and Litchfield might be correct in that a tad softer spring with matched EDC dampers are "optimized".

I love the car like crazy as it is, but imagine if it was even better!!!
JoeMatt160.00
      04-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #17
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:

I love the car like crazy as it is, but imagine if it was even better!!!
Indeed! t I want to be able to drive it more and more and for it to bring on even greater driving enjoyment. So I hope this is one upgrade that really works for me.
Appreciate 1
JoeMatt160.00
      04-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Indeed! t I want to be able to drive it more and more and for it to bring on even greater driving enjoyment. So I hope this is one upgrade that really works for me.
Please share your thoughts when they are installed, I am very curious.. I think we might be calibrated the same...

Also please let me know if the ride height can be kept close to stock.

Thanks!
      04-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #19
krm
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Please share your thoughts when they are installed, I am very curious.. I think we might be calibrated the same...

Also please let me know if the ride height can be kept close to stock.

Thanks!
Sure thing!

Unfortunately there are some material parts delay according to Litchfield on Bilstein's side. It simply can't get here soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #20
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing!

Unfortunately there are some material parts delay according to Litchfield on Bilstein's side. It simply can't get here soon enough.
No worries, I'm in no rush. I'm sure you are however, you likely paid for it...

Thanks again..
      04-27-2022, 01:11 AM   #21
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstclyz View Post
I would be interested in ordering a set. Is there someone you’re talking to directly there?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 07:04 AM   #22
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
With the CS, driving through this road and amongst many in HKG with similar road surfaces, the interior would be rattling (i.e. p
Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand? I don't have any rattles in mine. If new, I'd mention it next service. I've been very impressed how well put together it is.

Other things. If 2nd hand, has it had any damage? It should never feel skittish. If no damage, how is the alignment? If those are ok, have you checked the tyre pressures? Over inflated tyres can make a mess of things, especially with Cup 2 tyres. I run mine around 35.

Hope some of this helps.

P.S., totally agree on lowering springs. You only enjoy them twice. Once when you get them, then when you get rid of them. A bit like owning a boat.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4599.50