BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

M4 Pure, CT4V BW or Giulia Quad?

Welp after saying goodbye to my M3cs in the Fall and slogging through the winter in our Honda Fit, it's time for a new adventure I've narrowed things down to the following and would love input from the crowd here.

M4 Pure (would go M3, but I'm not waiting a year. Keeps me in familiar territory)

Alfa Giulia Quad (been around for awhile, but so rare and not many opportunities to drive a Ferrari sourced engine)

CT4V Blackwing MT (Engine seems to be the only weak-ish point. Probably the most similar vehicle to the M3/4)

*I also have a reservation on a Model Y Performance with hopes that I could get an Austin build, but it's looking like we might still be a ways out from that.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Can't go wrong with any of those honestly. The only one I might dismiss is the CT4V. It's a great car and all, but if I'm going Caddy, it's CT5V or nothing.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #3
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
While my M4 was in indefinite Quality Check hold I had an opportunity to buy a new Giulia Quad at invoice pricing, and while it was a super deal (I was also promised that they would buy it back in three oaths for what i paid), I just couldn’t get into it. I felt the interior was ok, but the tech was super dated, and while the infotainment display was updated, it was still small, and in a poor location. Also, no HUD was really hard to deal with. I also disliked that the paddles were on the wheel and not the column. My $.02
Appreciate 1
mjbernatz209.00
      04-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Already existing threads on these...

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1847273

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1847614
      04-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 with a Stick

if 6mt = M3
if auto = QV
Appreciate 1
The Ching265.50
      04-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #6
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

M4 is probably your safest bet, but if you want to get into something pseudo-exotic and different, then go for the QV. I've been going through a similar process myself, not easy.
      04-09-2022, 10:56 PM   #7
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

I was all in on a Alfa, spend countless hours reading their web-sites and educating myself on what to expect and made an appointment to test drive a fully loaded 110k one. Triple red, carbon etc etc etc.

I loved the way the car looked, best OEM wheels ever, after seeing the 5 hole on the 8C I had to have them! I was prepared to buy the worlds greatest warranty and make the Finance Manager a rich man that very day.

Started the test drive down Harbor Blvd towards the beach and the salesmen can sense my excitement. The car is fast, it handles and feels exotic and the sound!, just wow. I am asking him excitedly about real world problems and how could their service center is as I am buying this car.

I am making a right turn in a block and he is telling me that most of the stories are over-blown and build quality is excellent and most of the issues have been software related.

I approach PCH...turn signal on and suddenly it breaks off in my hand and we both hear it, now I maybe powerful but I just flipped the stalk like we all do gazzilion times before...it just broke and dangled there.

He turns redder then the former Soviet Union and doesn't say a word.

I am feeling like the guy in the Gieco commercial who buys a new house and the attic was formerly lived in by Jason from the Halloween. Nope, can't do this. Most disappointing car buying experience ever.

So much promise.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
kassad
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

If you want an MT, get the BW.

Ive now test driven the M3 and 4BW with a manual, but cant comment on the Alfa. I will be putting an order in for the Caddy.

The 4BW has a better chassis, suspension, and steering. The tremec in the 4 is amazing, and easily the biggest advantage over the M3. Its wayyyyyy better. The Ct4 also does the best Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Ive ever experienced. The tour mode feels like an old school Caddy, and the V mode feels like, well, an old school M3.

The M3 has a better interior, it definitely feels more special on the inside, especially with the carbon seats (though i wouldnt choose them for a daily driver). The back seat is far more accommodating if you need that. But the Caddy isn't bad. All the materials are fine, the infotainment system is much improved, it has physical and redundant buttons, but its missing the emotional pizzaz that the M3 gives you.

The engines themselves are pretty similar in feel, both build boost linearly. The caddy has a slightly lower red line, but the gearing feels a little longer. The M3s sounds better, but i think its mostly artificial. The M3 might feel a little faster, but id have to drive them back to back to tell. Ive also read the 4BW is already being tuned to 650 WHP if that's your thing. I felt like the stock engine and chassis was pretty well paired for the street. The engine was enjoyable, but also approachable. I think I would be a little scared of the 5BW on public roads.

I would definitely rule out the Caddy with the auto and go with the M3 or Alfa
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #9
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassad View Post
If you want an MT, get the BW.

Ive now test driven the M3 and 4BW with a manual, but cant comment on the Alfa. I will be putting an order in for the Caddy.

The 4BW has a better chassis, suspension, and steering. The tremec in the 4 is amazing, and easily the biggest advantage over the M3. Its wayyyyyy better. The Ct4 also does the best Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Ive ever experienced. The tour mode feels like an old school Caddy, and the V mode feels like, well, an old school M3.

The M3 has a better interior, it definitely feels more special on the inside, especially with the carbon seats (though i wouldnt choose them for a daily driver). The back seat is far more accommodating if you need that. But the Caddy isn't bad. All the materials are fine, the infotainment system is much improved, it has physical and redundant buttons, but its missing the emotional pizzaz that the M3 gives you.

The engines themselves are pretty similar in feel, both build boost linearly. The caddy has a slightly lower red line, but the gearing feels a little longer. The M3s sounds better, but i think its mostly artificial. The M3 might feel a little faster, but id have to drive them back to back to tell. Ive also read the 4BW is already being tuned to 650 WHP if that's your thing. I felt like the stock engine and chassis was pretty well paired for the street. The engine was enjoyable, but also approachable. I think I would be a little scared of the 5BW on public roads.

I would definitely rule out the Caddy with the auto and go with the M3 or Alfa
This is great insight, thanks. If I go M4 or Blackwing, they will definitely be manual

I actually have a Blackwing build available to me at MSRP, but the dealer has zero clue as to when it will arrive. It's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #10
BA///MA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
This is great insight, thanks. If I go M4 or Blackwing, they will definitely be manual

I actually have a Blackwing build available to me at MSRP, but the dealer has zero clue as to when it will arrive. It's crazy.
You can't really go wrong with either, and if price is a factor, you can save some money by going with the Caddy. But I owned an ATS-V before and I'm ordering an M now. The reason is that while the Caddy was nice to drive and own, every time I saw an M car, I felt like I was missing out on what I could have had.

Get the car you know you want, whichever one that is. Statistics and other reviews be damned.
kassad20.50
      04-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #11
kassad
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

My last choice of cars was between the BMW 328i RWD with a stick and a Caddy ATS 2.0L with a stick, (and a GTI but my wife hates how those look). The BMW won that, and it wasnt even a close competition. The BMW engine was better, the interior was way better, back seat was roomier, and CUE was downright awful. The ATS felt and drove like the smaller and more nimble car, but its deficits were too great. I feel like the new 4BW's interior and infotainment isnt a reason to rule it out automatically anymore. Its good enough.

On a different but related note, I cant believe car companies are using the touch/haptic interfaces after everyone raked Cadillac over the coals for them. Why dont other companies copy the 10 memory buttons from BMW? Seriously one of my favorite design choices they made.
Appreciate 1
BA///MA97.50
      04-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep

Welp, I just talked to one of my local Caddy dealers and they are willing to give me on of their CT4V BW builds for MSRP. However, they want a $5000 non-refundable deposit and no ETA for when the car will arrive. They literally said it could be here tomorrow or could be months.

Meanwhile, I have an Alfa dealer willing to give me a QV for 5k off and free delivery to my door :/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #13
BA///MA
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Welp, I just talked to one of my local Caddy dealers and they are willing to give me on of their CT4V BW builds for MSRP. However, they want a $5000 non-refundable deposit and no ETA for when the car will arrive. They literally said it could be here tomorrow or could be months.

Meanwhile, I have an Alfa dealer willing to give me a QV for 5k off and free delivery to my door :/
Are you able to option anything on the Caddy, or is it one they've spec'd out? That $5k non-refundable deposit would be enough to turn me off if it wasn't my spec, and they couldn't give me even an estimated time of arrival.

If you're still considering the M3, the wait for a 6MT may not be as bad as you think. I just put my order in at the beginning of February and my car is currently in production. The delays for most of the M3's I've seen here seem to be on the X-drive models.
      04-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA///MA View Post
Are you able to option anything on the Caddy, or is it one they've spec'd out? That $5k non-refundable deposit would be enough to turn me off if it wasn't my spec, and they couldn't give me even an estimated time of arrival.

If you're still considering the M3, the wait for a 6MT may not be as bad as you think. I just put my order in at the beginning of February and my car is currently in production. The delays for most of the M3's I've seen here seem to be on the X-drive models.
It's already spec'd out. Truthfully, it is a good spec with MT and a few nice options, but I don't like the ambiguous delivery timeframe. One week to a year is tough, lol.

On the BMW front, the dealer I normally go through just had someone turn down their M4 MT delivery. They are willing to sell to me at 1k under MSRP, but it's a strange build. MT (which is good), base wheels (no good), blue calipers on Tanzanite (idk?).
Appreciate 1
BA///MA97.50
      04-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #15
BA///MA
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
It's already spec'd out. Truthfully, it is a good spec with MT and a few nice options, but I don't like the ambiguous delivery timeframe. One week to a year is tough, lol.

On the BMW front, the dealer I normally go through just had someone turn down their M4 MT delivery. They are willing to sell to me at 1k under MSRP, but it's a strange build. MT (which is good), base wheels (no good), blue calipers on Tanzanite (idk?).
That is a weird combo, but the base wheels aren't the worst thing in the world. If you live where you need winter tires, you could always just put your winter tires on those wheels, and get a different set for your summer tires.

The blue calipers on the Tanzanite does look odd on the configurator, not sure how it is in person. But I'm pretty sure those can be repainted pretty easily if you hate them.

Or you could always just take it now, drive it for a while and put the car you really want on order. Then trade this one in or sell it off when yours comes in. And with the way the market has been, you won't lose much of anything in depreciation while you wait.