BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Hocus Focus (M4 Mutes My iPhone)

I have an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.3.1. Recently the sounds for incoming calls, texts, alerts and app notifications is muted and remains muted whenever I operate my M4. I have to manually reactivate the iPhone ringer every time I leave the car.

I've lost count of the number of missed calls and texts (after leaving the car and forgetting to turning the ringer back on). I never had this issue with our G05 X5 (also iDrive7), my previous iPhone X, nor with numerous other BMWs with which I've paired my phone. I've made sure no 'Do Not Disturb' settings are active under the Focus settings section on my iPhone.

Anyone else encounter this 'feature' and determined a workaround? The Genius agent I called was unable to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I have an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.3.1. Recently the sounds for incoming calls, texts, alerts and app notifications is muted and remains muted whenever I operate my M4. I have to manually reactivate the iPhone ringer every time I leave the car.

I've lost count of the number of missed calls and texts (after leaving the car and forgetting to turning the ringer back on). I never had this issue with our G05 X5 (also iDrive7), my previous iPhone X, nor with numerous other BMWs with which I've paired my phone. I've made sure no 'Do Not Disturb' settings are active under the Focus settings section on my iPhone.

Anyone else encounter this 'feature' and determined a workaround? The Genius agent I called was unable to help.
I do not have the same issue. One thing about your post that stuck out to me. Not sure if this will fix it, but…

You said “I have to manually reactivate the iPhone ringer every time I leave the car.”

Have you tried reactivating the ringer while you are still in the car? The logic here (not sure if it’s good logic!) is that your phone is remembering the settings you had the last time it was connected to your car. You keep reactivating it, but only after it’s disconnected from the car.

Oh, and REBOOT your phone if you haven’t tried that already. Rebooting fixes most things.

Good luck!
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The mystery deepens: after rebooting my iPhone, I watched what happened when I entered my husband's X3 (also a 2022 with iDrive 7). The ringer muted as soon as it paired with the vehicle .. so it's a setting on my iPhone. (My husband also has an iPhone on the same level of iOS.). Time to visit Verizon ...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
The mystery deepens: after rebooting my iPhone, I watched what happened when I entered my husband's X3 (also a 2022 with iDrive 7). The ringer muted as soon as it paired with the vehicle .. so it's a setting on my iPhone. (My husband also has an iPhone on the same level of iOS.). Time to visit Verizon ...
And did you unmute it while still in the car?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've tried unmuting it while in the vehicles, and it reverts to muted. I chatted then spoke with Apple Support this evening and resolved it by resetting all my iPhone settings. (No one knows which setting triggered the issue, but it's gone now. And I'm re-personalizing the phone settings I'd previously customized.)
Appreciate 1