BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Predictive battery conditioning

https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/22...he-ix3-and-i3/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

I wonder if any of the pre-November built models will receive this upgrade? Will be pretty disappointed if they don't especially when BMW announced a facelift already as well - us Premier Edition owners seem to be dipping out on lots of new stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Looks like its going to be for the face lift model. To be honest BMW is unfair especially for those who bought the first versions for cash. I suppose they could do it over the air.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I get the feeling it may be OTA update, as the hardware is in the car already. But hey, who's to say.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Looks like its going to be for the face lift model. To be honest BMW is unfair especially for those who bought the first versions for cash. I suppose they could do it over the air.
Its looks like a software-based feature if anything as the batteries are already temperature controlled. Surely they could just push out OTA.

If not, seems like really poor foresight on BMW's part as they are pushing out new features but only at the point of the build. Tesla has been doing OTA for over 7 years now...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
RoosDK
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3, 2021

I seem to remember that Tesla Bjorn, when he tested the iX3 back in the early spring, already then talked about that thermal management would be coming to the car at some point. Where he got the information from, and if it is correct, I don't know.

I do hope it's coming as an OTA update, especially since, AFAIK, the hardware is the same in both iX3 and iX3 LCI, with SP18, full iD7 and OTA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I would hope all the software running in the LCI would come to the Premier Edition cars, no reason why not, they run the same Media system besides the slightly larger screen AFAIK, and the drive train is the same. I was thinking of waiting till next year for the LCI, but I honestly don't like the new rear end (lights and bumper) and not a fan of the 'M Sport' inspired front end either to be fair. But hey, like always probably get hit for being early adopters!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:06 AM   #8
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Having taken a look at the possible battery preconditioning upgrade it mentions that as soon as the active route guidance of the navigation system foresees a stopover at an HPC charger, the new thermal management already ensures automatic preconditioning of the battery during the approach.
Do you think this will work with all maps/route planners or just the BMW App?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:45 AM   #9
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
Having taken a look at the possible battery preconditioning upgrade it mentions that as soon as the active route guidance of the navigation system foresees a stopover at an HPC charger, the new thermal management already ensures automatic preconditioning of the battery during the approach.
I would say it's only via the BMW built-in navigation. Third-Party synchronisation is fairly lacking with the likes of Google Maps/Apple Maps etc. as these don't even synchronise with the Cockpit Pro Instrument Panel let alone battery conditioning
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #10
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by t41l589 View Post
Quote:
I would say it's only via the BMW built-in navigation. Third-Party synchronisation is fairly lacking with the likes of Google Maps/Apple Maps etc. as these don't even synchronise with the Cockpit Pro Instrument Panel let alone battery conditioning
Quote:
Quote:
Incorrect - at least CarPlay works with Apple Maps both in HUD & instrument cluster
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Android auto has integration in the dash and HUD as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:31 AM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I was chatting to a Polestar 2 driver at the weekend. The Polestar also lacked the battery preconditioning, but they received a software update a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:28 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I was chatting to a Polestar 2 driver at the weekend. The Polestar also lacked the battery preconditioning, but they received a software update a couple of weeks ago.
We need to be careful about what we are talking about. Most EVs come with battery preconditioning pre departure (that is, heating and cooling). For some reason, the iX3 doesn't have this option. I would be interested to see how iX3 range is impacted without this in the coming months.

What is being talked about in the LCI update appears to be battery pre-conditioning for UltraFast charging based on a selected charging point in the navigation system.

Last edited by DaveCV; 11-27-2021 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
We need to be careful about what we are talking about. Most EVs come with battery preconditioning pre departure (that is, heating and cooling). For some reason, the iX3 doesn't have this option. I would be interested to see how iX3 range is impacted without this in the coming months.

What is being talked about in the LCI relate appears to be battery pre-conditioning for UltraFast charging based on a selected charging point in the navigation system.
The latter is exactly what I was referring to. Battery preconditioning for fast charging, as opposed to cabin preconditioning. The Polestar has just received it via a software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Like I mentioned there is no physical difference in the hardware in the lci and the pre lci cars.

It's been shown though lots of times, about the only company that gets it right so far is tesla, and that's because if they can't heat or cool the cells enough they tell the occupants 'tough luck guys, I'm taking your heat or air con for the battery, just put up with it' (but nicer wording)

Kia, hyundai, volvo, polestar, Merc, Audi all don't do that, if it's cold or hot, then the battery doesn't get much if any conditioning before arrival.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #16
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The latter is exactly what I was referring to. Battery preconditioning for fast charging, as opposed to cabin preconditioning. The Polestar has just received it via a software update.
All BMWs have cabin preconditioning. The i3 also has battery preconditioning prior to the set departure time. Depending on the outside air temperature, the i3’s battery warming/cooling protocol can kick in 3 hours before departure and the car has to be plugged in to an EVSE. Battery preconditioning makes a big difference to the i3’s maximum range in Winter as the battery is at the correct temperature for driving. I confess that I have absolutely no idea why the iX3 is different from most EVs on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #17
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Quote:
All BMWs have cabin preconditioning. The i3 also has battery preconditioning prior to the set departure time. Depending on the outside air temperature, the i3's battery warming/cooling protocol can kick in 3 hours before departure and the car has to be plugged in to an EVSE. Battery preconditioning makes a big difference to the i3's maximum range in Winter as the battery is at the correct temperature for driving. I confess that I have absolutely no idea why the iX3 is different from most EVs on the market.
Completely agree. Should have been part of the iX3 from day one. But maybe bmw wanted to collect information about how it is before an upgrade. But now, not upgrading early adopters would be a real slap in the face.
      12-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #18
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

How is that update coming along for all of you? My car (July build) is on 03/2021.63 and I do expect the 07/2021 to appear anytime now. Am I right to expect that?

(It's my first BMW, so no experience with past updates and rollout times...)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:12 AM   #19
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
How is that update coming along for all of you? My car (July build) is on 03/2021.63 and I do expect the 07/2021 to appear anytime now. Am I right to expect that?

(It's my first BMW, so no experience with past updates and rollout times...)
We are also still waiting for the 21-07 update to arrive in the UK. It looks like it was released in Germany back in October but not sure on timescales outside of Germany at this moment in time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:29 AM   #20
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We are also still waiting for the 21-07 update to arrive in the UK. It looks like it was released in Germany back in October but not sure on timescales outside of Germany at this moment in time.
My iX3 updated to 21-07 a few weeks ago after I checked for available updates on the iDrive. If it has changed anything of significance I cannot say that I have noticed. Lane corrections are still potentially lethal in certain road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #21
silver82
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

I received my premier pro today and the version was 07/2021. No battery precondition there.
Appreciate 1
t41l58925.50
      12-30-2021, 07:14 AM   #22
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver82 View Post
I received my premier pro today and the version was 07/2021. No battery precondition there.
I’m still stuck on 03-21 in my PP with no sign of an upgrade in the app or the car. Ihave an open recall for the front radar so I’m wondering if I won’t get the upgrade until the recall is addressed?
Appreciate 0