BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW Adventures: ///M Advanced School, Mid-Ohio, and NCM

09-19-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

BMW Adventures: ///M Advanced School, Mid-Ohio, and NCM

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It's been a pretty awesome week of BMW-ness and a number of things worth sharing.

Part 1: 2 Day M Advanced School - Thermal

Over the years I've found that schools and instructor time is really worth it no matter how comfortable you are getting on track and how fast you are or aren't in your run groups. The biggest thing is that the second set of perspectives tend to uncover things in your driving and give you elements to focus on that continue to grow you as a driver. I've been doing HDPE's, karting, autocross, etc for 18+ years at this point. I'm not talented, so I need all the help I can get as well. I've done 3 skip barber schools, Solo schools, Pirelli experiences, and a few others tossed in over the years as well. This was my first BMW school, and I was cleared to go to the Advanced school based on my previous experience.

Few thoughts. Overall - highly recommend it. Really well done and you come away with a crazy amount of track time and skills refinement. The blend of skidpad and "supercross" time combined with the copious high speed track time was great. The classroom time at the start was too basic for my tastes, but was less than 2 hours total, and that was the only classroom time of the whole 2 days.

I've seen comments about "I don't want to do lead follow". I have to say anybody that is in that camp, you need to go through it. Having done Skip schools where there is no lead follow - you are set completely free in the advanced schools to lap and then get feedback after the sessions etc. I'd take this hands down over the Skip method. The instructors are insanely fast for starters, so you'll be pushing to where you are driving at or very near your limit if you can even get to keeping up with them. It's only two students to one instructor (so two follow cars to one lead) and they try to keep you grouped based on capability. The instructors drive in their mirrors unbelievably. You get real time feedback "Steve you just missed that apex by 18", you need more brakes" "Piero, you were relying on the DSC there, you can't do that in most situations" etc. It helps you correct and adjust in real time lap after lap. Was unbelievably helpful and much more instructive than previous schools I've been through.

The cars are pretty amazing. It was great bouncing between the M2, M5, and the G80 M4 across the day. Made you adjust your driving style and efforts for laps and exercises. I could not believe how the cars could handle the non-stop lapping sessions all day long in 114 degree heat and hardly miss a beat. Only the M5's had quibbles here and there and a little cool down lap and they'd be back on it. Really made me even more impressed with the brand than before.

And wow... that G80. I'm a believer. It drives insanely good. Lively, crazy fast, great feel. Nothing like I expected in any way. Even coming off the M2's it felt nimble and fast. The M5's felt heavy and nowhere near as fast even though they were straight line bombers when you needed them to be. The ZF trans is also fantastic, I'd frankly take it over the DCT in the M2 after experiencing them back to back repeatedly over the 2 days.

So yeah, great experience! They offer 1:1 coaching as well for a shockingly reasonable rate considering they provide the cars and everything else. I plan to do some of that next year after how great this overall experience was compared to previous schools.
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 4
Hedoniste3847.00
Tornado1M1218.50
      09-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Mid-Ohio

Part 2

Immediately after flying back from Thermal, I hopped in the CS and drove 9+ hours down to Mid-Ohio for a track day with MVP. It was my first time at the track and second track day with the CS. Only modifications I had done to the car was swap to Motul 660 fluid, Supercar 3 tires, and Pagid Yellow pads.

The other new addition was the Garmin Catalyst, and man was that worth the money. Huge help in learning the track and dialing in my lines and efforts. I also found it helped keep me more focused in sessions as well which is something I have struggled with at times.

Mid-Ohio is a great track. The elevation changes, the blind corners, and the overall level of speed etc really push you to be thoughtful and methodical on your approaches to get good lap times. I never felt like I got Turn 1 down, and frankly could have continued to improve. I was pretty happy with my overall lap times (Best of 1:46.23) in the end (video will come when I can get it off the Garmin to share it here).

The CS got a lot of attention and questions as well. People love the color and the look of the car and were impressed with the speed. I loved the ease of the overall effort of continuing to build confidence and the stability it has. I ran in MDM mode the entire time, and it never intruded at any point.

I got plenty of comments as well about how much stuff I managed to fit in the car too with my packing!

Attached Images

2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 09-19-2021 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 5
      09-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

After leaving Mid-Ohio I drove 6 hours that night and grabbed a hotel for another track day the next morning with Chin Track Days at NCM. Another first track visit for me. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great, but at the same time, great chance to learn the limits with the car and how it handles the wet. Thankfully I was also carrying the Pilot Super Sport tires as well, so I switched over to those for the rain from the Supercar 3's.

After a few sighting laps, something that Chin does that is unique, and I thought was great (a 20 minute yellow flag no passing session to get everyone acclimated to the track and conditions), I realized that the complexity of this track and the number of corners plus the rain was going to make for a long day. They had a Nascar pro (Jade Buford - Xfinity series) on site that you could hire for in car instruction. I figured it was well worth the money and it was. He did a great job helping me find the right lines and clean up a few techniques items for the track and it paid off through the day. My wet times later in the day were within 7 seconds of my damp times when he was in the car and I was feeling out the track. Best wet lap - 2:47.32

A lot of people that only had slicks bailed out as it rained pretty heavy the entire day. Worked out great as I had the track nearly to myself plenty of times - including a 60+ minute non-stop session at the end of the day that I put in 21 laps during. Pretty awesome!

Again, a ton of attention for the car with a lot of BMW and other drivers coming over to comment on it and ask questions. More comments on the packing capacity too

Chin was a great organization, and one of the best and most organized I've run with. Also the overall quality of drivers was pretty incredible. I ran in the Novice group since it was my first time at the track (their sorting policy) and that group was faster than almost every Intermediate group I've ever ran with. Highly recommend them if you are looking for a track day!
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 09-19-2021 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

By the time I finish out this trip on Tuesday, I'll be close to 2000 miles covered, and 20+ hours of windshield time carrying 4 tires and plenty of track gear crossing the midwest.

Thing I wish were different on the car: Better lumbar support, and a bigger fuel tank (mostly for track days!) Otherwise, man what an awesome do-it-all machine!
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 6
Hedoniste3847.00
JPMD171.00
Tornado1M1218.50
      09-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

Epic! That was a fun read, thanks for sharing all the detail.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Having also done road trips in the m2 CS I can concur the gas tank is annoyingly small

With that said if you are traveling on the highway the gas stops are also pretty quick. Grab a drink. Quick stretch and go.

On track I would imagine you need to fill up after about 40 min of track time?

Thanks for sharing
      09-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Having also done road trips in the m2 CS I can concur the gas tank is annoyingly small

With that said if you are traveling on the highway the gas stops are also pretty quick. Grab a drink. Quick stretch and go.

On track I would imagine you need to fill up after about 40 min of track time?

Thanks for sharing
I was getting just about 60 minutes of dry track. It was warning me to about 20 miles of range and was under 1/4 tank, but then would rise a bit after coming off track at the end of 60 minutes in the dry. Wet it did more than 60 no problem. I found that doing a 30 minute session throwing in 1-2 gallons, then doing the next 30 minute session before leaving to fill up entirely seemed to work well.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I went to thermal for m performance driving class on September 11th. We were still using the old M4s. I wish they switched over for my trip there!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Got home last night. Was getting about 30mpg at 78mph on the highway, but the track days took their toll on total mpg!
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
What an awesome trip!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
What an awesome trip!
Thanks! This was one of the reasons I bought the CS. Wanted something that could drive half way across the country comfortably, knock out a solid and fun track day reliably and drive home with confidence. Absolutely did not disappoint. The fact that I can daily drive my kids to daycare OR put a full set of tires in the back for track options is pretty awesome!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2618.50
ptgltw3779.50
      09-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #12
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Thanks! This was one of the reasons I bought the CS. Wanted something that could drive half way across the country comfortably, knock out a solid and fun track day reliably and drive home with confidence. Absolutely did not disappoint. The fact that I can daily drive my kids to daycare OR put a full set of tires in the back for track options is pretty awesome!
You summed up what makes these cars different than the one it's always compared to, that P car with the 4 at the end

BMW Forever and Always
      09-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #13
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Awesome! Thanks for sharing 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #14
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
I went to thermal for m performance driving class on September 11th. We were still using the old M4s. I wish they switched over for my trip there!
I was there end of August. My M4C on the Thermal track went into limp mode twice. Lost power steering both times too. Class was a blast and I learned a ton. I agree though. I saw the sea of G80s by the skidpad and was itching to get in one.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #15
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
I was there end of August. My M4C on the Thermal track went into limp mode twice. Lost power steering both times too. Class was a blast and I learned a ton. I agree though. I saw the sea of G80s by the skidpad and was itching to get in one.
They did comment that the F80s weren't cutting it in the full heat and was part of why we were getting the G80s even though they didn't have them fully prepped yet.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #16
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Great read. Jealous of all that track time. I've run with chin at barber and they really are a good group.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #17
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Finally got the videos off the Catalyst. Couldn't get my good wet run off the device for some reason. So the NCM run below is with the Jade Buford the NASCAR driver teaching me the lines. Had a few things wrong still in this video, but I was progressing at the time. Track was damp and a bit slick in areas, so still not very fast.
Mid-Ohio Fastest Lap

NCM Motorsports Park
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0