BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Nickhub
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

BMW Music no longer available in the UK

My initial six months free connected drive music is due to expire in the next couple of days so I tried to extend it online without any success. I called connected drive today to try to do it over the phone only to be told this service is no longer available and there are no other options at the moment.

It seems very strange that it is no longer available and not have a replacement option anyone know why that is ?

I am going to try Spotify but I cannot see it anymore on the menu it seems to have disappeared.

Are there any better options ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep

Same situation. Mine shows 3 days remaining, but it does not allow me to extend. This is disappointing if it is correct that it will no longer be available. I thought this BMW music service was fairly new, so wondering what’s happened as I found the service pretty good. The Spotify app seems to come and go on my Media screen. From memory it disappeared when I selected Connected music.
Appreciate 1
Nickhub35.50
      07-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #3
JRH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 G01

It seems that you can only have Spotify OR BMW music. I have a new car and still have 6 months of BMW music.

I signed into Spotify and noticed that BMW music disappeared, I contacted connected drive and they confirmed that you can only have one service active at a time, they also confirmed that BMW music was being discontinued and that Spotify comes with the connected drive package (well, the data allowance does, I guess you still need to pay for a Spotify account separately though).
Appreciate 1
Nickhub35.50
      07-15-2021, 01:41 AM   #4
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Pretty low value in my eyes. Why would you buy (renew) a music service that doesn't come with when you leave the car??
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:17 AM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Apple Music works for me, although not sure how much you pay ATM for the current one?

Although she is a bit stupid - "Play Go by the Chemical Brothers" nada, "Play Chemical Brothers, Go" sweet toons. :-/
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone know what the streaming options are that don't need to be connected via a mobile phone to the car?
Is Deezer HiFi an option or is Spoitfy Premium good enough quality?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
JRH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Spotify works fine for me, in the UK Spotify is the only alternative option (as far as one aware).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

I assume you don't have SiriusXM in the UK......perhaps you have another type of satellite radio.......here in the US the "Free Trial Sirius XM Subscription" lasts 12 months. After 12 months, owners can choose to subscribe or drop it.

Here in the US the "BMW Hotspot Free Trial" lasts 3 months and after that we can choose to subscribe or drop it.......I dropped it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
JRH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
I assume you don't have SiriusXM in the UK......perhaps you have another type of satellite radio.......here in the US the "Free Trial Sirius XM Subscription" lasts 12 months. After 12 months, owners can choose to subscribe or drop it.

Here in the US the "BMW Hotspot Free Trial" lasts 3 months and after that we can choose to subscribe or drop it.......I dropped it.
There's no Sirius or equivalent (unfortunately) in the UK, so Spotify is the only integrated option in the car (although everything else works well from your mobile anyway).

There's no need for the hotspot when using the built in Spotify, this goes over the cars 4G connection and the data is included as part of the connected drive package whether you have hotspot or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH View Post
Spotify works fine for me, in the UK Spotify is the only alternative option (as far as one aware).
Quick question. I have been playing spotify through my phone and playing downloads.

Is there a way of using it through the car without using the phone? I find it's a bit hot or miss when I use my phone and you have to turn the volume up really high....which is ok until you go back to radio!!! 🙉

Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
JRH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH View Post
Quick question. I have been playing spotify through my phone and playing downloads.

Is there a way of using it through the car without using the phone? I find it's a bit hot or miss when I use my phone and you have to turn the volume up really high....which is ok until you go back to radio!!! 🙉

Apologies if this is a stupid question.
It's built into my car (2021 iDrive 7) here in the UK, but from what I understand you can have either BMW Music (whilst it is still available) OR Spotify but both won't work at the same time, as soon as I logged into Spotify, BMW music disappeared.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2783.00
      07-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, question. If you don't have a Spotify account and you login via Connected Music, are you on Premium or Ad Supported version of Spotify?

Reason being is I signed up to Premium today, but if I should have it free through BMW music then I don't want to pay twice for it?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #13
G21 330D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335D Touring X Drive

Has BMW music been discontinued now? Mine runs out in 3 days but not highlighted in connected drive for me to renew. I thought it was really good to be honest
      09-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
JRH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, they pulled it I'm afraid. Spotify is the only option, data is included with the connected drive pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21 330D View Post
Has BMW music been discontinued now? Mine runs out in 3 days but not highlighted in connected drive for me to renew. I thought it was really good to be honest
Appreciate 0