F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Illuminated air vents
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 series 435 Xdrive

Illuminated air vents

So I done a lighting Mod the other day with some EL wire under the trim and led's in the air vent dials. Simple to do just hook up to the power and ground on the hazard/lock switch on the dash and ta daaarrr
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Looks very good, isn't it too bright and distracting when driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Looks very good, isn't it too bright and distracting when driving?
You can turn them down via the dash dial. I just had them high to show them off a bit
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

you got a pic on how these look during the day with the lights off
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
omie
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2015 /// 328i

Looks cool! You have any pictures of this mod? Where did you place the leds, and how exactly did you connect them?

And the EL Wire, how did you stick that under the trim? There is no space between the trim and the radio trim as they touch each other right?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
you got a pic on how these look during the day with the lights off
Sure there's still a bit of tweaking
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omie View Post
Looks cool! You have any pictures of this mod? Where did you place the leds, and how exactly did you connect them?

And the EL Wire, how did you stick that under the trim? There is no space between the trim and the radio trim as they touch each other right?
The El wire I had was very slim and off eBay it was the type with the extra plastic bit so I could attach 3m tape and stick it to the trim. It will go in it's a son of a bitch to do but doable. The trim will click into place.
The wiring is simple I hooked up to the hazard switch power and ground. The LED's well I was lucky I bought some new optical led's for the door trim from a company in Germany that enhances the light output. The old led circuit boards inside the casing were used for the air vent dials. Again hooked up to the hazard power. I lust done a live and ground to the led for the orange light not the white and inserted the, into the hole facing forward to project the light out of them, with a. Bit of foam to hold them in place. I got the idea from my old Audi A5 there was a lighting pack that I retrofitted and purchased the parts for, with the Audi there are parts that click into the dials; basically just LEDs in series. I then copied that idea over to the BM. The dimming dial for the dashboard controls the light output
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
omie
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2015 /// 328i

Interesting. I think you mean "benzinfabrik" right? I also replaced my led's with theirs indeed, it's way better then what we have as standard.

I was going to take apart my trims soon anyway, so I'll check it out. Might be going the same way you did, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omie View Post
Interesting. I think you mean "benzinfabrik" right? I also replaced my led's with theirs indeed, it's way better then what we have as standard.

I was going to take apart my trims soon anyway, so I'll check it out. Might be going the same way you did, thanks for the info!
Your welcome. And yes that's the company I got my LED's from. you could run the leds off the ashtray/ radio trim and you will have the two colour option. I did think of going that route but the BMW orange is perfect. Have fun modding
Appreciate 0