F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > drive train error message
proTUNING Freaks

02-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
My first bmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: All kinds of fords.

drive train error message

Hi,

I have a 2020 m340 estate and intermittently, I receive the drive train error message which confirms I can still drive but need to visit a dealer.

However, I only get this message when Ii drive hard in sport mode.

During this bad weather I've only driven the car in Eco-pro or comfort mode and have done for a few weeks and the message has not appeared.

is this a simple fix or do I really need to take it to a dealer.

many thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by My first bmw View Post
Hi,

I have a 2020 m340 estate and intermittently, I receive the drive train error message which confirms I can still drive but need to visit a dealer.

However, I only get this message when Ii drive hard in sport mode.

During this bad weather I've only driven the car in Eco-pro or comfort mode and have done for a few weeks and the message has not appeared.

is this a simple fix or do I really need to take it to a dealer.

many thanks for your help.
Hi mate and welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying your first bmw?

In regards to your issue, it's likely nothing to worry about. Possibly just a faulty sensor or loose connection somewhere. I had similar in the summer when it was very hot and the car had just been jet washed within an inch of its life. After switching off the engine and starting it again the error had gone and didn't return.

As you're well within warranty I'd ask the deal to take a look at it when you're next close by
      02-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
If the error inly comes up in sport/ sports plus (ie when there is extraoad on the drivetrain)would recommend driving it hard is sports mode for a good wee while to see if anything breaks.
In my case when intermittent drivetrain errors cropped up a few years ago on my X5 in sports mode I drove it exclusively hard in dpirt/,plus and egr cooler broke in few days fixed foc under warranty goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
My first bmw
Registered
Rep

many thanks for your responses.

it just seems strange that the error message is only in sport mode so how serious is the actual issue. Could a non bmw dealer fix it easily at minimal costs rather than taking it to a bmw dealer. None of my dealers are local and there's the journeys I would need to make by public transport both ways so maybe a trusted local garage may be able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:04 AM   #5
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
I would definitely only take it back to any BMW main dealer to sort out in case it is something more severe...do you not have BMW Assist as I believe they would collect and return your car plus give you a loan car

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by My first bmw View Post

However, I only get this message when I drive hard in sport mode.
Simple check, ensure tyre pressures are all correct, suited to harder driving.

There is the possibility it is picking up a bit of wheel speed variation. A bit of unusual wheel spin/slip has been known to trigger temporary drive train errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #7
My first bmw
Registered
Rep

that's interesting about tyre pressures. I got a warning a while ago and have since checked and pumped them up a bit. perhaps I will drive in sport mode and see if the drive train error reappears. fully appreciate taking it to bmw is the best solution I was just being lazy to see if a more local fix may suffice.

thanks
Appreciate 0