BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

looking for inputs on driving the new 2021 iX3

If anyone has bought one, looking for comments on range and things that are different from metro X3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 G01

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawelvis View Post
If anyone has bought one, looking for comments on range and things that are different from metro X3
I dont think there are any forum members that have got there cars delivered yet. But for range capacity I recommend watching this video:

I get my car in 5 weeks
      01-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #3
tmsn89
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

I don't think so but I've done some research.
The biggest difference in looks might be
- The small blue details you can observe outside(watch video) and some few places inside the car. (Start/Stopp button, gear stick etc.)
- The steering wheel is also abit different, still looks okey to me.
- Trunk space: 510 liters, X3 Gasoline has 550 liters, X3 Hybrid has 450 liters.

Equipment vice:
- No Four Wheel drive
- No heated steering wheel

Can also add that X3 and iX3 does not have laser light.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

I have it on order, but delivery expected in May, so still a few months of waiting.
This said, the dealership should get a demo model by end of the month / early Feb, so at least I will be able to test drive it.
So was ordering pretty much on a few videos that are out there and all show very decent consumption, also if you look at i3 consumption and they say they optimized the electric motor / battery efficiency by 20% it definitely adds up. Car is expected to be much more efficient than EQC / E-Tron, probably on par with VW ID.4, but much faster and more luxurious of course.

By the way also test drove so far the hybrid version and loved pretty much everything about it. My previous cars are Tesla M3 LR, BMW330E and currently 2021 Merc E class, so definitely have something to compare it with
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

I have on order as well, dealer said delivery somewhere between end of March and end of May ... hardest part is always they wait, which is why I normally never go for a new car.

I ordered the Impressive model with all the options I was able to tick, color Phytonic blue with mocha brown interieur leather and ash grey wood inlay.

Very nice in terms of kit, but am missing the option to get rid of all exterior black plastic ;-(
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
tmsn89
Norway
Rep

I agree with you. Why not have an option to skip the small minor details?
It's not major changes, but still annoying if you don't like it.
Option: Similar as regular X3, or electric style.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanis34 View Post
I have on order as well, dealer said delivery somewhere between end of March and end of May ... hardest part is always they wait, which is why I normally never go for a new car.

I ordered the Impressive model with all the options I was able to tick, color Phytonic blue with mocha brown interieur leather and ash grey wood inlay.

Very nice in terms of kit, but am missing the option to get rid of all exterior black plastic ;-(
Well, there is option to do blue accents or frost gray / black, or frost gray / matte silver, so still plenty (compared to say Model Y exterior options).

I went with High Exec (same as Impressive), black grille, tinted rear windows, black roof rails, black interior (full, also the upper side), but silver trims around windows since it also comes with silver stripes underneath the doors, which you aren't able to change (or blue but blue isn't that good). Color of the car is Carbon Black.

If you pre-ordered, delivery in March could be possible, I ordered mine just a few weeks ago though, so will have to wait in line until 2nd or 3rd week of May for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 G01

Garage List
This is my spec. Arriving in the first half of march. Sophisto grey with all black interior and all possible shadowline. Really looking forward to see it IRL.
Attached Images

01-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
Thanis34
Private
Rep

I ordered the impressive model with all black trim around the edges except the tinted windows as the wife does not like that. I ticked all the option boxes to have the M adaptive suspension, drive recorder, tow thingy, etc ...

One of the first things to change will be the rims. I hope they look better IRL, but the pictures are not that flattering imho

I aim to have this build when I finally get it ... delivery in July :-(
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:24 AM   #10
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is the one I odered, Carbon Black. But the front shadow line blacked out and rails also shadow line.
BTW IMHO the rims look really sleek, also don't forget these are super aerodynamic, so normally these reduce consumption by 3-5% easily. (See similar tests for Tesla aero caps vs regular rims etc)

Last edited by DES_MX; 01-31-2021 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:26 AM   #11
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

And here some close ups and rear

Rear
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
Thanis34
Private
Rep

An iX3 with a Premium Selection badge ... I wish it was already possible in BE, I would settle for the black to have it sooner.

What is your expected delivery date ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
An iX3 with a Premium Selection badge ... I wish it was already possible in BE, I would settle for the black to have it sooner.

What is your expected delivery date ?
17th of May. Regarding the Premium Selection badge, that's what I was wondering as well - client pre-ordered, but cancelled, they got stuck with new stock? Why not just have it as show model? Not sure I understand how that's possible, since they confirmed to even start test drives just this week (i.e. 01 of Feb). I might ask them to just get this one off their hands and have mine incoming as show model, swap them out basically. Not like there are many configurations anyway, so custom or no custom order almost doesn't matter for marketability.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #14
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

So here are results of today's test drive. I had the car for about two hours and did some extensive testing, including consumption. Below is the consumption over some ~35KM, 70% highway driving (100-110kmh), 30% city driving (<50kmh city limit). Outside temperature was fluctuating between 8.5 and 9.5c, almost no wind though. The results are quite good (see photo below) - 18kwh/100km. This was Eco-Pro mode.

After that I did another ~35KM, this time back to the original destination (with some detours) and tested the car with Sport Mode, DSC - Sport (and a few times set to OFF). Even though I didn't manage to take a picture, the final combined consumption was 20.6kwh/100km, no matter how hard I try to get it higher it just wouldn't go there. This was driving 130-140kmh highway (again 70%) and 30% city pulling stoplight sprints from every stoplight I had on the way back.

Overall - amazing result.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
Thanis34
Private
Rep

How was the driving itself ? Comparable to the X3 30e ? Or compared to your 330e ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #16
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
How was the driving itself ? Comparable to the X3 30e ? Or compared to your 330e ?
I can compare to E-Tron, EQC (test drove both some time ago) and Tesla Model 3 (owned for a year), but also to X3 30e (test drove several weeks ago):

iX3 vs E-Tron & EQC - feels much more nimble than either, significantly less roll. Firmer ride, but good on potholes, brick surfaces, over speed bumps - really good suspension and ride quality. Acceleration on par with E-Tron, but less aggressive launch than EQC. Putting the iX3 into Sport & DSC to Sport traction improves throttle response & acceleration significantly, close to Tesla like.

iX3 vs T M3 / M Y - Of course M3 is much more aerodynamic and a sedan, so the ride sportiveness is still somewhat better, but the iX3 on another hand swallows bad road surface much better. Accelerator response in Tesla always sharper, no matter what setting in iX3, but it can get close from a rolling start (from complete stop iX3 feels like it needs a few milliseconds to get full torque going).

iX3 vs X3 30e - iX3 wins hands down, no competition whatsoever. Smooth and powerful and no need to rely on any turbo (with it's lag). Also not reliant on any mode / switches, you can have iX3 in Eco Pro and get full throttle in split of a second, where as X3 30e will need to downshift, etc. Another advantage of iX3 vs 30e is you can choose on the fly max regen with B mode (I use that in the city) and adaptive regen on highway.

iX3 vs 330e - same comparison as to Tesla Model 3 above, only 330e is of course not as nimble & quick as the Model 3/Y, so here iX3 wins over 330e for me. Another reason to downvote 330e is that when its engine is cold, you don't really have the full 292HP(Turbo boost), and it will rev and make sound without actual torque or acceleration. Obviously this problem disappears when engine is warm, but iX3 doesn't have that problem to start with.

Overall in my book the iX3 beats E-Tron & EQC ride quality wise, especially cornering / maneuvering (not feeling like you're driving a boat); it is almost on par with 330e nimbleness wise (so great achievement), but still somewhat worse than Tesla Model 3/Y regarding overall composure, which are very hard cars to beat. On another hand, while it loses to Tesla a bit in sportiveness, it wins out a lot with interior quality.

In Summary - iX3 is a very balanced, solid BEV, with plenty of sportiveness, interior space and yet quite a high efficiency for an SUV or a BEV in general. I reckon in the summer we can get 16kwh/100km.

Another interesting find - the iX3 has FULL iDrive 7 (not the "light" version in regular X3) - meaning you do get the Reversing Assistant and OTA Updates! Also tested wireless Android Auto & Carplay - both work like a charm, super smooth (in X3 30e I had some frequent lag in Android Auto).

Last edited by DES_MX; 02-06-2021 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #17
Thanis34
Private
Rep

Thanks for the review ! You just made the wait that much harder for me ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #18
tmsn89
Norway
Rep

Can everyone just send an e-mail for BMW to add the option to include the M-Sport Steering Wheel?
I made it really painful for BMW-dealer when I asked him what it would take him to order it and make the change in the workshop.
He said it would cost probably 2000-3000 EUR. He thought I was nuts, when I said I was willing to make that cost. Unfortunatley they won't do it because there ain't not option orginally for it. If I crash and the airbag doesn't work. BMW would have a big problem. I will need to make the change at my local workshop, if they are able to do this. I don't know if it's easy for them to do upgrades like this? Must the steering wheel be programmed to the car or something? Or can whoever got the skills, do it??
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #19
Thanis34
Private
Rep

steering wheel requires coding and there are differences in the wiring as well. At this time, we can't be sure the M-wheel of the X3M will fit the iX3 CAN.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:44 AM   #20
tmsn89
Norway
Rep

Thanks for fast reply Thanis. Are you a BMW employee? Are the wiring that much of a difference? By the looks of it, the buttons/functions looks completely the same except from the heated steering wheel option. I have a close friend that runs a workshop. He says he can do the change for me. But he cant confirm it will work before he tests it. Its a big bummer for me if I order and it doesnt work. I want BMW to confirm that it should work😅 What would you do in my situation?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #21
tmsn89
Norway
Rep

Here you can see someone did the same upgrade in a different car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #22
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn89 View Post
Here you can see someone did the same upgrade in a different car.
Doubt that picture is legit, you can see also different dash (full digital one vs older gen / semi digital) and also the upper upholstery from white to black. Unless that person changed all of that, along with the M wheel swap.
Appreciate 0