2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pre-LCI Adaptive Xenon to LCI Adaptive LED - Conversion/Retrofit

01-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
lox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Pre-LCI Adaptive Xenon to LCI Adaptive LED - Conversion/Retrofit

Hi all,

I've recently come to purchase a butchered pre-LCI F10 that's had its stock adaptive xenon headlights swapped out for the LCI style adaptive LED headlights.

All seems to be working fine with the units as well as all of the adaptive goodies (DRL, dipped beam, high beam, indicators, cornering lights, high-beam assistant, and all the other automatic/adaptive features). However, whenever you use the indicators you get a front left/right (respectively) turn signal malfunction come up on the dash.

I've checked on E-Sys and all warm/cold checks for the FRA_VL and FRA_VR (turn signal front and left) are not active. What am I missing here?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Additional information: The original vehicle shipped with options 0522 (xenon lights), 0524 (adaptive headlights), and 05AC (high-beam assistant). It is an early 2013 M5 from Europe. It looks as if the people who fit them have run 2 additional wires from the footwell to the front of the car, I haven't traced these out yet to see where they go to/from, or checked any of the wiring to the FRM and headlights themselves to see if I can see what changes have been made.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #2
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i & 2015 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lox View Post
Hi all,

I've recently come to purchase a butchered pre-LCI F10 that's had its stock adaptive xenon headlights swapped out for the LCI style adaptive LED headlights.

All seems to be working fine with the units as well as all of the adaptive goodies (DRL, dipped beam, high beam, indicators, cornering lights, high-beam assistant, and all the other automatic/adaptive features). However, whenever you use the indicators you get a front left/right (respectively) turn signal malfunction come up on the dash.

I've checked on E-Sys and all warm/cold checks for the FRA_VL and FRA_VR (turn signal front and left) are not active. What am I missing here?

Additional information: The original vehicle shipped with options 0522 (xenon lights), 0524 (adaptive headlights), and 05AC (high-beam assistant). It is an early 2013 M5 from Europe. It looks as if the people who fit them have run 2 additional wires from the footwell to the front of the car, I haven't traced these out yet to see where they go to/from, or checked any of the wiring to the FRM and headlights themselves to see if I can see what changes have been made.
I don’t Have the info in front of me but you can search it, there is one more option aside from the warm cold check, is Bulb type make sure “LED” is selected also in ISTA there is a option for “teach in LED turn signal module “ try that too.

Delvi.
2014 X5 50i Carbon Black/ M Sport
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 1
lox8.00
      01-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Ideally, you should use E-Sys and check the FA of the car. If the coding was done correctly, it should show 552 in FA rather than 522 and. That would be step one. The second would be to simply use the FA with 552 to code All 4 light modules (LHMs and STMs) and the FRM. If the wiring is correct, this should fix any coding issues and then you can use ISTA to run the LED headlight Teach in procedure and that should fix it all.

For turn signals you might also want to check if its the actual headlight LED that's not working or it is one of the others like the side marker. Maybe the side marker was switched to LED but not coded?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
lox
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lox View Post
Hi all,

I don’t Have the info in front of me but you can search it, there is one more option aside from the warm cold check, is Bulb type make sure “LED” is selected also in ISTA there is a option for “teach in LED turn signal module “ try that too.

Delvi.
Hey man. Thanks for the reply. I tried both of those (the coding for bulb type already seemed to be set correctly) and still no luck :-( I'll keep digging.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
lox
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Ideally, you should use E-Sys and check the FA of the car. If the coding was done correctly, it should show 552 in FA rather than 522 and. That would be step one. The second would be to simply use the FA with 552 to code All 4 light modules (LHMs and STMs) and the FRM. If the wiring is correct, this should fix any coding issues and then you can use ISTA to run the LED headlight Teach in procedure and that should fix it all.

For turn signals you might also want to check if its the actual headlight LED that's not working or it is one of the others like the side marker. Maybe the side marker was switched to LED but not coded?
Hey Addy, it's funny you replied to my post because I've been tempted to message you, I see you're quite knowledgable on this stuff from other posts/threads!

So I can see from the vehicle equipment list on ISTA that 0522 has been removed and replaced with 0552, so that looks good. I've rerun the LED teach in procedure, no luck. I've also double checked that all the cold/warm checks are disabled on FRM for the FRA (turn signals) and the bulb type is set to LED - still no luck.

Almost positive it's not a side indicator as I replaced one just the other week with a part from BMW due to it being broken and it still faults out - also it looks like the origin of the errors are coming from STML and STMR from what I've seen in ISTA.

My gut is that it has to be something coding related. Not got around to checking the wiring at all yet but I can see that two wires make their way from the right foot well to the front of the car that are clearly after market. No evidence of them coming from the rear fuse carrier that I've seen yet.

What did you mean by FA coding the headlight modules themselves? Doesn't sound like something I've done, so could be worth a try! I'm not hugely experienced with E-Sys but I can find my way around.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0