BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > OG M2 blue brake calipers

09-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
palja04
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 - 19 M2 Comp(US Version)

It seems to be very confusing between brakes used in various models of BMW.

1. OG M2 blue calipers are the exact same caliper used in F82/83 M4/3? If it is the same, it will fit in both platform in theory? It seems like the rotor sizes are the same in both platform as well(380mm x 30mm(f), 370mm x 24mm(r)).
2. OG M2 blue calipers are the exact same caliper used in F22, F30, etc as M sports brakes? It seems like the size of rotors are smaller in F2x,F3x, but caliper seems the same, but hard to confirm correctly.
3. OG M2 blue calipers are exactly same caliper as M Performance calipers(comes with yellow/orange/red)? It seems like the package available has different front rotor size of 370mm x 30mm, but caliper seems the same, but hard to confirm correctly.

Can anyone who have done accurate research to have giving advice on these questions above?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Correct, BMW only do two front blue caliper (4pot) sizes, one labelled 340 for the 340mm rotors as fitted to 1 and 2 series M sport cars.
The other is labelled 370/380 and is fitted to M Sport 3 and 4 series (2NH option) with 370mm rotors. Same units are used for all M performance upgrades on 1 through 4 series cars with 370mm rotors and a choice of colours (orange, red, etc).
And finally, the 370/380 version is used on M2, M3, M4, coupled with 380mm rotors.
There are differences in the hub to fit specific applications. I.e 370mm vs 380mm, or series cars vs M cars.
Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910935.50
Bee Pee1783.50
      09-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
palja04
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Correct, BMW only do two front blue caliper (4pot) sizes, one labelled 340 for the 340mm rotors as fitted to 1 and 2 series M sport cars.
The other is labelled 370/380 and is fitted to M Sport 3 and 4 series (2NH option) with 370mm rotors. Same units are used for all M performance upgrades on 1 through 4 series cars with 370mm rotors and a choice of colours (orange, red, etc).
And finally, the 370/380 version is used on M2, M3, M4, coupled with 380mm rotors.
There are differences in the hub to fit specific applications. I.e 370mm vs 380mm, or series cars vs M cars.
"There are differences in the hub to fit specific applications. I.e 370mm vs 380mm, or series cars vs M cars."

Based on what you mentioned above, am I understanding correctly? that, M performance version of caliper has a different fitment from OG M2 calipers in terms of how it bolts onto the hub? What I am hearing is the caliper is the same, but it is not compatible in mounting on OG M2 hub. Could you please confirm my understanding? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by palja04 View Post
"There are differences in the hub to fit specific applications. I.e 370mm vs 380mm, or series cars vs M cars."

Based on what you mentioned above, am I understanding correctly? that, M performance version of caliper has a different fitment from OG M2 calipers in terms of how it bolts onto the hub? What I am hearing is the caliper is the same, but it is not compatible in mounting on OG M2 hub. Could you please confirm my understanding? Thank you!
To answer your question, the calipers are exactly the same between OG M2 and the regular F30 M Sports with 2NH big brake option (370mm kit).
The hubs are not the same, and it is the hubs that position the caliper relative to the rotor.
Hope that answer your question.

Here's the proof from Realoem. Selected M2 caliper, and list of other cars sharing same part number.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
palja04
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
To answer your question, the calipers are exactly the same between OG M2 and the regular F30 M Sports with 2NH big brake option (370mm kit).
The hubs are not the same, and it is the hubs that position the caliper relative to the rotor.
Hope that answer your question.

Here's the proof from Realoem. Selected M2 caliper, and list of other cars sharing same part number.
Thank you for further insights and proving on capliper used in both platforms are the identical ones.
I guess the hub is something I wouldn't try fitting M3/M4 ones to my M2C, but since the calipers are identical, those calipers will be interchangeable between M2/M3/M4 platforms(which means, M performance calipers will also interchanceable) and also will fit on my M2C platform.(i confirmed OG M2 brakes bolts right onto M2C hub) I may have to purchase right size OG M2 rotors(380mm x 30mm), but that was already in plan anyways.

this helped much. Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0