F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > When Disconnecting Your Rear Sway Bar is the Right and Wrong Thing to Do
Studio RSR

01-28-2020, 12:21 AM   #1
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
When Disconnecting Your Rear Sway Bar is the Right and Wrong Thing to Do

So this weekend I was at the track testing out a new suspension config. Saturday was dry, and even with r-comps I found I could easily get the rear end loose while trail braking and had to be ULTRA smooth in its release to maintain composure. I attributed this to having too stiff of a rear sway bar (currently running 17mm KC Design).

Saturday night it rained heavily and Sunday for the first half of the day there was a lot of standing water on the track (and a bunch of people spun). Knowing these conditions and how much I had to pay attention to the rear end the day before in the dry, I decided to disconnect my rear sway bar on one side. During my sessions the car felt good and rear end grip was much better and easier to manage. Sure, I had more rear body roll, but I could be quicker off the brake without upsetting the rear. Even after things dried up in the afternoon it was an improvement. It was absolutely the right thing to do for the wet track conditions.

Unfortunately at the end of the day I discovered why you shouldn't disconnect the rear sway bar on the F2x/F3x/F8x cars... When the rear sway bar is disconnected, the rear axle half shaft boot can travel high enough to contact the sway bar. While I was changing my track pads and wheels out back for street I noticed a bunch of black grease all over my damper on the side I disconnected the bar from and saw that the bar had ripped the boot open.

To make matters worse, there isn't a way to replace those boots as they don't have their own PN and there aren't aftermarket replacement kits, so I'm going to have to replace the whole half shaft. I'm a big DIYer, but I don't have the specialized tools and presses to remove the rear half shafts from the hub, so it looks like I'm going to be paying for this one... At least used half shafts aren't terribly pricey (~$100). Oops.

I should probably add a disclaimer that just because the 17mm KC Design sway bar is too stiff for my setup, doesn't mean it's too stiff for others. I'm running pretty high rear spring rates (900lbs/in, same as Ohlins R&T), and I haven't seen any other aftermarket kit go that high. Furthermore, if I had an LSD, then it probably would've been fine.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3511.50
gds4.50
      01-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I found this:
https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/.../695068_0_3550
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Unfortunately that's for the front axle half shafts, where the boot does have a PN and there's a BMW procedure for replacing it. Thanks though.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I think the front outer on my xdrive are the same as the rear outer, this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kn-31607549468
If you measure the diameter at the CV Joint and the axle diameter as well as the boot length I will measure the same on my outer boot on the axle sitting on my bedroom floor.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
So this weekend I was at the track testing out a new suspension config. Saturday was dry, and even with r-comps I found I could easily get the rear end loose while trail braking and had to be ULTRA smooth in its release to maintain composure. I attributed this to having too stiff of a rear sway bar (currently running 17mm KC Design).

Saturday night it rained heavily and Sunday for the first half of the day there was a lot of standing water on the track (and a bunch of people spun). Knowing these conditions and how much I had to pay attention to the rear end the day before in the dry, I decided to disconnect my rear sway bar on one side. During my sessions the car felt good and rear end grip was much better and easier to manage. Sure, I had more rear body roll, but I could be quicker off the brake without upsetting the rear. Even after things dried up in the afternoon it was an improvement. It was absolutely the right thing to do for the wet track conditions.

Unfortunately at the end of the day I discovered why you shouldn't disconnect the rear sway bar on the F2x/F3x/F8x cars... When the rear sway bar is disconnected, the rear axle half shaft boot can travel high enough to contact the sway bar. While I was changing my track pads and wheels out back for street I noticed a bunch of black grease all over my damper on the side I disconnected the bar from and saw that the bar had ripped the boot open.

To make matters worse, there isn't a way to replace those boots as they don't have their own PN and there aren't aftermarket replacement kits, so I'm going to have to replace the whole half shaft. I'm a big DIYer, but I don't have the specialized tools and presses to remove the rear half shafts from the hub, so it looks like I'm going to be paying for this one... At least used half shafts aren't terribly pricey (~$100). Oops.

I should probably add a disclaimer that just because the 17mm KC Design sway bar is too stiff for my setup, doesn't mean it's too stiff for others. I'm running pretty high rear spring rates (900lbs/in, same as Ohlins R&T), and I haven't seen any other aftermarket kit go that high. Furthermore, if I had an LSD, then it probably would've been fine.
Are you looking to remove the half shafts from the hub AND differential?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A split CV boot doesn't require pulling the drive shaft.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't say if anyone makes one that will fit the OP's car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A split CV boot doesn't require pulling the drive shaft.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't say if anyone makes one that will fit the OP's car.
The split boots are just a temporary solution. I ran one when I tore my front CV boot and needed to pack the bearings until I could get them fixed.
      01-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Yup, because the BMW procedure says you need to take the shaft out of the diff in order to have enough room to push it out of the hub.

With the amount of work it is to replace a half shaft, I'm seriously thinking of just spending the $ and seeing what kind of LSD options I have since I'll be paying for most of that labor anyways... lol

Appreciate 1
andino479.50
      01-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, because the BMW procedure says you need to take the shaft out of the diff in order to have enough room to push it out of the hub.

With the amount of work it is to replace a half shaft, I'm seriously thinking of just spending the $ and seeing what kind of LSD options I have since I'll be paying for most of that labor anyways... lol
That's a bummer but thanks for putting the story here for the benefit of others.
If you're looking at aftermarket lsd options, perhaps you'd be interested in my oe 'pumpkin' /open diff housing? I think quaife and some other shops can build you a diff if you provide a donor housing. It's been sitting in my garage since I had the m performance differential installed last spring. It's rwd auto, but I believe it is also compatible on xDrive auto cars. You've done a lot for this forum community so I'll give you a good deal on it.
      01-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

That really sucks! Sometimes a solution can be found in the basic mechanic's toolkit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
That really sucks! Sometimes a solution can be found in the basic mechanic's toolkit.
The drinks on the right might get you sick.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
That's a bummer but thanks for putting the story here for the benefit of others.
If you're looking at aftermarket lsd options, perhaps you'd be interested in my oe 'pumpkin' /open diff housing? I think quaife and some other shops can build you a diff if you provide a donor housing. It's been sitting in my garage since I had the m performance differential installed last spring. It's rwd auto, but I believe it is also compatible on xDrive auto cars. You've done a lot for this forum community so I'll give you a good deal on it.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my diff is different from the one that came on the 335i. 2.81 gearing vs 3.23, and the half-shaft seals are 66mm instead of 72mm.

Other vehicles that share the same diff as the 328dx are the 2/3/430i AT, and and 2/3/440ix AT.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my diff is different from the one that came on the 335i. 2.81 gearing vs 3.23, and the half-shaft seals are 66mm instead of 72mm.

Other vehicles that share the same diff as the 328dx are the 2/3/430i AT, and and 2/3/440ix AT.
Shucks!