F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE axleback or Dinan Midpipe?
GetBMWParts

06-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

MPE axleback or Dinan Midpipe?

Need help deciding between buying a used MPE axleback or keeping the stock muffler and just installing a Dinan Midpipe on my 2016 340i.

I need something a little louder than stock, but still want it to be quiet and comfortable when driving on long road trips. The MPE for the B58 does not have the valves for going quiet in comfort mode, and would probably run around $800-900 used, and the Dinan mid pipe would retain the stock muffler and valves and runs $500 brand new shipped to my front door.

I've watched countless videos of both on youtube, but never heard either in person. Is one option significantly louder than the other? If I just do a mid pipe will I even notice a difference with the stock muffler? Curious to hear different people's opinions/perspectives.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Stuck in the same boat as you - I want a bit more exhaust noise but I can't seem to convince myself to go with a downpipe just yet, even though I know that would accomplish the more noise without excessive noise situation. (I have 1.5 years left on CPO, and even though I'm running BM3, I just feel like installing a DP is going to put me further out of warranty than I'm comfortable with)

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the mid-pipe instead of MPE given that it I'll still have a valve and can get just a bit more noise, I'll be following here to see what other people say to help drive one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know what you mean about the warranty. I know different people have different schools of thought, I've always felt comfortable with cat backs and axle backs as long as the cats and nothing north of the cats were touched. For the tune, do these cars have key stroke logs or would they have no way of knowing that you tuned it if you reverted it back to stock?

I'm leaning towards the mid pipe with stock muffler mainly because of the cost and being able to retain the valves. My only hesitation is not knowing if it makes a noticeable difference in volume/sound. If it's just as loud as the MPE, than it's a no brainier for me to do mid pipes if there's no drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Stuck in the same boat as you - I want a bit more exhaust noise but I can't seem to convince myself to go with a downpipe just yet, even though I know that would accomplish the more noise without excessive noise situation. (I have 1.5 years left on CPO, and even though I'm running BM3, I just feel like installing a DP is going to put me further out of warranty than I'm comfortable with)

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the mid-pipe instead of MPE given that it I'll still have a valve and can get just a bit more noise, I'll be following here to see what other people say to help drive one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would get the mid pipe. MPE alone with stock down pipe and mid pipe only gives you like a 15% increase in noise. I have one, but I installed it at the same time when I did my DP so its loud and poppy now.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean about the warranty. I know different people have different schools of thought, I've always felt comfortable with cat backs and axle backs as long as the cats and nothing north of the cats were touched. For the tune, do these cars have key stroke logs or would they have no way of knowing that you tuned it if you reverted it back to stock?

I'm leaning towards the mid pipe with stock muffler mainly because of the cost and being able to retain the valves. My only hesitation is not knowing if it makes a noticeable difference in volume/sound. If it's just as loud as the MPE, than it's a no brainier for me to do mid pipes if there's no drone.
If they look deep enough it’s easy to see that your car is over boosting compared to stock and if they can pin the failure to the tune you’re kind of hosed either way. I would just rather not have to ever swap the downpipe out for potential warranty work while I can to avoid one other potential hassle
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that insight. Would you say that the mid pipe would give me more sound than the MPE or about the same so you're saying go with the cheaper option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I would get the mid pipe. MPE alone with stock down pipe and mid pipe only gives you like a 15% increase in noise. I have one, but I installed it at the same time when I did my DP so its loud and poppy now.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

I have the DINAN mid-pipe with stock (for now) downpipe and muffler. I like the sound with only the mid-pipe. A few extra burbles, a little louder when I get on the gas, but otherwise it is as quite as stock. For me it is just enough. I'm adding a high flow cat to support my MHD Stage 2 flash tune.
2018 440i Gran Coupe (F36), Glacier Silver/Black Dakota, M Performance and Track Handling Package, MHD Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 flash tunes, Dinan Shockware and mid-pipe, HJS high-flow cat, AP Intake, RW Carbon duck bill spoiler and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks for that insight. Would you say that the mid pipe would give me more sound than the MPE or about the same so you're saying go with the cheaper option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Hard to say, but the dinan mid pipe should give you a good increase in sound based on some
YouTube videos I've watch. If you plan on going with the MPE you can always delete 1 resonator or both to make it sound more aggressive if you plan on keeping the stock down-pipe.
Appreciate 1
PURE340i104.00
      06-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Need help deciding between buying a used MPE axleback or keeping the stock muffler and just installing a Dinan Midpipe on my 2016 340i.

I need something a little louder than stock, but still want it to be quiet and comfortable when driving on long road trips. The MPE for the B58 does not have the valves for going quiet in comfort mode, and would probably run around $800-900 used, and the Dinan mid pipe would retain the stock muffler and valves and runs $500 brand new shipped to my front door.

I've watched countless videos of both on youtube, but never heard either in person. Is one option significantly louder than the other? If I just do a mid pipe will I even notice a difference with the stock muffler? Curious to hear different people's opinions/perspectives.
I had the same exact debate and I wound up doing the dinan midpipe. Def some more burble and throatiness. Still very subdued inside the cabin but enough to hear what's going on with the revs. Sounds much more significant from outside the car compared to stock but I would say it was worth it. If you want a big difference inside the cabin then go full exhaust.

IMO, all the exhaust setups we're like 1k+ and I couldn't justify spending that just for some sound improvement. If you plan to go FBO with downpipe, tune and everything it may be worth it to spend the extra $$ and get a full exhaust. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS axle back would be the best option in my opinion for a sound upgrade thats still mild and no drone.

But between the 2 options you listed, i would go with Dinan midpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #11
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all replies everyone, this is really helpful.

For this car I don't have any big plans to mod, not looking to get more power or tune it. I just want a little more sound but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud from inside the cabin (it needs to be quiet when I'm casually driving at highway speeds). Sounds like an axle back would get me something similar but would just be double the price so a mid-pipe would be the better route. My only hesitation was that I wasn't sure if it was a noticeable sound difference to make it worth the $500, but it sounds like it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For this car I don't have any big plans to mod, not looking to get more power or tune it. I just want a little more sound but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud from inside the cabin (it needs to be quiet when I'm casually driving at highway speeds). Sounds like an axle back would get me something similar but would just be double the price so a mid-pipe would be the better route. My only hesitation was that I wasn't sure if it was a noticeable sound difference to make it worth the $500, but it sounds like it is.
You can get an Active Autowerke axle back for a price very close to your budget, it will make a noticeably bigger difference than a midpipe

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

You can get an Active Autowerke axle back for a price very close to your budget, it will make a noticeably bigger difference than a midpipe
PM me a price on the AA axelback system if you don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Really, AA axle-backs are usually $750, the mid-pipe cost me $425 shipped?

Not familiar with the AA, and don't see too many posts here about them. What type of exhaust note are these similar to? Is it more similar to the MPE (crackle pop, higher pitched) or more like the Remus (deeper tone)? I assume no issues with drone and these are valved?

I already ordered the mid pipes, can are these two parts compatible to each other without custom work/welding?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really, AA axle-backs are usually $750, the mid-pipe cost me $425 shipped?

Not familiar with the AA, and don't see too many posts here about them. What type of exhaust note are these similar to? Is it more similar to the MPE (crackle pop, higher pitched) or more like the Remus (deeper tone)? I assume no issues with drone and these are valved?

I already ordered the mid pipes, can are these two parts compatible to each other without custom work/welding?
$750 is retail, im sure you can do better

And yes i said close not the same price. they should fit together using the clamp provided but im not too sure. You might need to wield

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Dinan midpipe, otherwise stock exhaust:

Zero drone whether the valves are open or closed and a good amount more volume/tone than the stock exhaust.

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
Dinan midpipe, otherwise stock exhaust:

Zero drone whether the valves are open or closed and a good amount more volume/tone than the stock exhaust.
Great video! Just installed mine a few weekends ago, and I'm happy with it also. No drone, and sounds way louder from the outside of the car. On the inside you can barely hear it under a normal acceleration or just cruising around town, but with WOT you can hear it (like in this video).
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #18
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
I dont know how to explain this question. But with the mid pipe. Can you feel the sound? Not literally feel it but figuratively. Wondering if you can "feel" you have power especially while normal cruising without it actually being obnoxious from the outside.

After reading what I wrote it sounds stupid to understand ahah
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
I dont know how to explain this question. But with the mid pipe. Can you feel the sound? Not literally feel it but figuratively. Wondering if you can "feel" you have power especially while normal cruising without it actually being obnoxious from the outside.

After reading what I wrote it sounds stupid to understand ahah
I think I know what your asking. It's most noticeable (both hear and feel the exhaust) when you are driving it hard. When just casually driving its better than stock but it's not as significant. Definitely not obnoxious when you drive it normal, it's pretty tame.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
kasturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW 340

To that point of feel, is there any power increase with just adding a mid pipe or do you need a full cat back system to see any power increases?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #21
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasturbo View Post
To that point of feel, is there any power increase with just adding a mid pipe or do you need a full cat back system to see any power increases?
No noticeable power gains with a mid pipe. I doubt you can feel any difference with a cat back either, at least I've never have on any other car I've ever had. You may if you pair it with a tune though, but most power gains for an exhaust come from upgrading a down-pipe on a turbo engine or headers on a naturally aspirated/supercharged engine, but if you are doing that, you should be getting a tune anyways because it's a much larger back pressure difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No noticeable power gains with a mid pipe. I doubt you can feel any difference with a cat back either, at least I've never have on any other car I've ever had. You may if you pair it with a tune though, but most power gains for an exhaust come from upgrading a down-pipe on a turbo engine or headers on a naturally aspirated/supercharged engine, but if you are doing that, you should be getting a tune anyways because it's a much larger back pressure difference.
No noticeable power gains with exhaust, tune is the way to go

Appreciate 0