F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 328i Xdrive coilover help
proTUNING Freaks

05-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Garage List
So I recently came into a set of Solo werks S1 coilovers for the F30 RWD without EDC. I drive an 328i with Xdrive. After looking online the only option for these is for models that are RWD.

My question is can I use this on an AWD model anyways/with possible modifications. What I really want I know is what makes them not able to be used on an Xdrive model? I would love to use them but came into them for free so it's not a loss. I always want to know more about my vehicle and having the knowledge as to why they are only for rwd models would be good to know. Any help & feedback would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

You can use RWD coils on your car but you'll need adjustable endlinks as the passenger side sway bar endlink is located in a different spot for xdrive. In addition, the front struts are longer so you won't be able to lower the front as much. This may or may not matter depending on your end goal/application.
      05-16-2019, 01:13 AM   #3
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
You can use RWD coils on your car but you'll need adjustable endlinks as the passenger side sway bar endlink is located in a different spot for xdrive. In addition, the front struts are longer so you won't be able to lower the front as much. This may or may not matter depending on your end goal/application.

the struts are the same length between rwd and x-drive. But some manufacture struts have a longer overhang on the bottom that might get in the way of the driveshaft. from experience, kw is no an issue.

he doesn't need adjustable end links. all he needs is buy another left side end link part number 31306792211 and use it on the right side.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
the struts are the same length between rwd and x-drive. But some manufacture struts have a longer overhang on the bottom that might get in the way of the driveshaft. from experience, kw is no an issue.

he doesn't need adjustable end links. all he needs is buy another left side end link part number 31306792211 and use it on the right side.
Ah interesting, my Bilsteins appeared to be longer in front than the KWs they replaced.

I didn't use an OEM swap link as I used adjustable ones so that that sways didn't have any preload. So that's good to know for myself in the future should the question get asked again. Thanks!
      07-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the advice!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: 7/29/19

I had the chance to get my f30 up on a lift and attempt to install the S1 coilovers on my car. What I found out pretty quickly as to why the solowerk coilovers would not fit my xdrive equip model is because of the length of the actual coil over, the "strut" part of it.

The top is obviously mounted to the car by either a 3 or 5 bolt upright mount. In my case, 3 bolt. Which had no issues. The bottom is attached to the rest of the suspension components via a clamping system that you insert the coilover into and tighten a bolt to clamp it in place with a small amount of the coilover extended out of the bottom.

Where the solowerk coilovers must different from a coilover designed for an AWD f30 is the length. The length of the coilover is about an 1" to an 1" 1/2 longer than the stock set up and presumably, others design for xdrive. When you install the coilover about an 1" or more of the "strut" sticks out so far that it rubs and makes contact with the front axel of the vehicle.

Where the coilover sits in the clamp, extends downwards past where the stock one sits (hopefully this makes sense). Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture but in the end the set up in the front is too long to be support with an xdrive equip model.

However, from what I could see, the rear shocks and springs, since the are separate components, did not seem like they would have any issues being installed. Xdrive or not.

My next attempt will to be purchasing struts that will fit the xdrive for the front, repurpose the springs that came on the solowerk coilovers and pair them with new struts. Most likely bilstein b8's. Then use the rear solowerk set up in addition to that.
Appreciate 0