F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Recommendation on what to do please
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
the_experiment
Rep
Drives: 435i xdrive

Recommendation on what to do please

So this weekend I hit a rock and punched a hole into my rear bumper cover and also ruined my diffuser. It's still on the car fine, but looks like shit! It doesn't look like there was any damage to the clips or screws or anything underneath.

My car is a 2013 435i X-Drive with PDC, and I think the diffuser is part 51192339218 (from BMW's site: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...-REAR-DIFFUSER), and the bumper is part 51128060889 (from real OEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_9261)

I'm thinking of buying the parts myself so I can save some money. I found the diffuser on ebay for cheap, and I would like to keep it matte black (think it would make nice contrast with my Mineral Grey paint).

But... the bumper comes unpainted... so I have to find a paint shop to paint it. (Open to any recommendations around Seattle - I heard that Maaco in Woodinville is good)

My questions are:
1. Are these the right parts for my car? Just want to double check.
2. Do you recommend I can install these parts myself? By this I mean: Is this advisable for someone with zero experience? Or should I have the paint shop do it?
Attaching the diffuser to the bumper is a no brainer, but the dumper to the car I'm not so sure about.
3. Opinion - normal reflectors or painted reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

I don't have any experience in your area, but my knowledge of Maaco is pretty bad for quality work.

Rob Feretti (SuperSoeedersRob) did a video on an older M3 he had a Maaco paint and it came out pretty shitty.

Maybe get a quote from them and go to a few reputable body shops that you see BMWs out front and ask for quotes and see. If you could afford a body shop and it's only a little more than Maaco I would spring for that.

If not, then go with what you can do and that's really it. Hope it's helpful.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
the_experiment
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
I don't have any experience in your area, but my knowledge of Maaco is pretty bad for quality work.

Rob Feretti (SuperSoeedersRob) did a video on an older M3 he had a Maaco paint and it came out pretty shitty.

Maybe get a quote from them and go to a few reputable body shops that you see BMWs out front and ask for quotes and see. If you could afford a body shop and it's only a little more than Maaco I would spring for that.

If not, then go with what you can do and that's really it. Hope it's helpful.
Yes sir, extremely helpful. I will definitely take this into consideration.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Go to a real body shop to get it painted. When it comes to car painting you get what you paid for
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experiment View Post
So this weekend I hit a rock and punched a hole into my rear bumper cover and also ruined my diffuser. It's still on the car fine, but looks like shit! It doesn't look like there was any damage to the clips or screws or anything underneath.

My car is a 2013 435i X-Drive with PDC, and I think the diffuser is part 51192339218 (from BMW's site: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...-REAR-DIFFUSER), and the bumper is part 51128060889 (from real OEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_9261)

I'm thinking of buying the parts myself so I can save some money. I found the diffuser on ebay for cheap, and I would like to keep it matte black (think it would make nice contrast with my Mineral Grey paint).

But... the bumper comes unpainted... so I have to find a paint shop to paint it. (Open to any recommendations around Seattle - I heard that Maaco in Woodinville is good)

My questions are:
1. Are these the right parts for my car? Just want to double check.
2. Do you recommend I can install these parts myself? By this I mean: Is this advisable for someone with zero experience? Or should I have the paint shop do it?
Attaching the diffuser to the bumper is a no brainer, but the dumper to the car I'm not so sure about.
3. Opinion - normal reflectors or painted reflectors?
This is why you have a Insurance.

Even a legit Insurance Company would not recommend Maaco.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
the_experiment
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
This is why you have a Insurance.

Even a legit Insurance Company would not recommend Maaco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Go to a real body shop to get it painted. When it comes to car painting you get what you paid for
Thanks guys. Will look elsewhere
Appreciate 0