BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Next Car Advice

12-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Next Car Advice

So I currently drive an F80 M3 6MT. 2.5 years into a 3 year lease. Very much like the car. It's starting to creak here and there but otherwise there's not many things I don't like about the car. I love that I can still get a manual transmission and the power/handling is great. The SO exterior has just enough wow factor as well. The M basically feels special to me, something I hadn't felt with my previous cars.

I typically lease my cars because I drive 15-17k miles a year and don't want to take the hit when I try to sell a high mile car after a few years. I also don't get excited about having a low mileage car sitting in the garage. I use my car day in and out and enjoy driving it as many miles as I can. I also like mostly staying under warranty so not having exposure to additional costs. By keeping the MSRP down on the M3 by getting just the bare minimum - Executive, 19" wheels, adaptive, and stacking incentives along with getting the car at pretty much invoice to start, I was able to get into an M3 at a pretty low price. Otherwise, I'd probably be in another 335/340 or B8 S4 type car (begrudgingly but good DDs overall).

So fast forward and my lease is up in 6 months. M3 is gone and in reality with the lease residuals dropping the way they have, I wouldn't have been able to replicate the deal I got anyway. I can afford a more expensive car but with a growing family (3 kids) I refuse to spend significant money on a car, regardless of how much I like them.

So I have started to think what I could do to stay with something "special" while also keeping costs down to a place that I feel comfortable. That works out to about $25k+\-$2-3k over a 3 year period, about what my M3 costs me. Keeping in mind I drive a lot of miles and I know from experience that selling a car with 50k miles is a lot easier than one with 95k miles.

So, long story short, here's what I've come up with that I'd like your opinion on:

1. Use leasetrader or swapalease to get another M3. Typically save the upfront costs (tax, acquisition, etc), so this would be a home run for me. Of course finding another SO M3 with a 6MT at the rate I paid will be tough. This option will stay open and if it works out, then I'll look no further.

2. Buy a used OG M2 - I like the idea of an M2. The front end and profile look great (although the rear doesn't hold a candle to the F80 in my opinion). Prices for 2017's have already dropped into the $44k range. I'm guessing in 6 months there may be some $40k models to choose from. The idea here is find a low mileage model (15k or less), drive it for 3 years, and at 60-65k miles sell it for $22-$25k. After taxes that should end up costing me $20k or so which is a comfortable place. Upside is car sounds better, will probably handle similarly if not better, and I stay in the M family (even though folks don't think the OG M2 is a real M, it hits on all the things I care about). Downside is the engine not having the same gusto as the F80, interior is clearly cheaper, and it's a 2 door that's a bit tighter even in the front. I have kids but I don't think they'd care about jumping in the back. That being said nothing beats the convenience of the M3. I don't need to take client in my car, but I like that the M3 can play special family sedan to many people. I have heard the OG M2 is a more jittery car as well but I haven't driven one so I can't tell if it is worse than the M3 in that respect. My biggest concern is that I will be disappointed in a year. Either realize that a small 2 door was a mistake or that the lower rent interior wears on me. Maybe I'll feel the opposite of course.

3. Buy a used M3 - The idea here is that I buy a low mileage car rather than mine that will have a lot of miles on it when I return it. Looking at the pricing right now, I'm guessing it will still be $45-$55k for a 2016 in 6 months. The M3's typically have more miles than the M2s as they probably make better DD's. If i wait until I can get a 20k Mile version, then after 3 years, maybe I can conservatively get $22k with 70k miles. With tax included, this puts me closer to $30k for 3 years, slightly above where I wanted to be. Maybe I can get a little more for the car later on? What's the chance of getting a low mileage M3 for $45k in 6 months? That would make the math work.

4. Lease a new M340 - This many not be out by then and if it is incentives will be lacking. Biggest downside is no manual transmission and feeling like a downgrade from the M3. I know manuals will be gone soon so sooner or later I will need to get on board. Upside is it's a newer model with newer interior/exterior, supposed improvements over the F30, and 385 HP will make it a quick car, probably as fast as the OG M2.

5. Lease a C43 AMG - from looking at leasetrader, these seem to lease well. New one looks a little better with the C63 Grille and it also now has 385 or so HP. You can get a performance exhaust that I have heard online and it sounds good. Downsides are the same as the M340.

So sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate your opinions on all of this.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Moderator - This is probably in the wrong place. Might make more sense in the F80 forum since that is what I drive now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
So I currently drive an F80 M3 6MT. 2.5 years into a 3 year lease. Very much like the car. It's starting to creak here and there but otherwise there's not many things I don't like about the car. I love that I can still get a manual transmission and the power/handling is great. The SO exterior has just enough wow factor as well. The M basically feels special to me, something I hadn't felt with my previous cars.

I typically lease my cars because I drive 15-17k miles a year and don't want to take the hit when I try to sell a high mile car after a few years. I also don't get excited about having a low mileage car sitting in the garage. I use my car day in and out and enjoy driving it as many miles as I can. I also like mostly staying under warranty so not having exposure to additional costs. By keeping the MSRP down on the M3 by getting just the bare minimum - Executive, 19" wheels, adaptive, and stacking incentives along with getting the car at pretty much invoice to start, I was able to get into an M3 at a pretty low price. Otherwise, I'd probably be in another 335/340 or B8 S4 type car (begrudgingly but good DDs overall).

So fast forward and my lease is up in 6 months. M3 is gone and in reality with the lease residuals dropping the way they have, I wouldn't have been able to replicate the deal I got anyway. I can afford a more expensive car but with a growing family (3 kids) I refuse to spend significant money on a car, regardless of how much I like them.

So I have started to think what I could do to stay with something "special" while also keeping costs down to a place that I feel comfortable. That works out to about $25k+\-$2-3k over a 3 year period, about what my M3 costs me. Keeping in mind I drive a lot of miles and I know from experience that selling a car with 50k miles is a lot easier than one with 95k miles.

So, long story short, here's what I've come up with that I'd like your opinion on:

1. Use leasetrader or swapalease to get another M3. Typically save the upfront costs (tax, acquisition, etc), so this would be a home run for me. Of course finding another SO M3 with a 6MT at the rate I paid will be tough. This option will stay open and if it works out, then I'll look no further.

2. Buy a used OG M2 - I like the idea of an M2. The front end and profile look great (although the rear doesn't hold a candle to the F80 in my opinion). Prices for 2017's have already dropped into the $44k range. I'm guessing in 6 months there may be some $40k models to choose from. The idea here is find a low mileage model (15k or less), drive it for 3 years, and at 60-65k miles sell it for $22-$25k. After taxes that should end up costing me $20k or so which is a comfortable place. Upside is car sounds better, will probably handle similarly if not better, and I stay in the M family (even though folks don't think the OG M2 is a real M, it hits on all the things I care about). Downside is the engine not having the same gusto as the F80, interior is clearly cheaper, and it's a 2 door that's a bit tighter even in the front. I have kids but I don't think they'd care about jumping in the back. That being said nothing beats the convenience of the M3. I don't need to take client in my car, but I like that the M3 can play special family sedan to many people. I have heard the OG M2 is a more jittery car as well but I haven't driven one so I can't tell if it is worse than the M3 in that respect. My biggest concern is that I will be disappointed in a year. Either realize that a small 2 door was a mistake or that the lower rent interior wears on me. Maybe I'll feel the opposite of course.

3. Buy a used M3 - The idea here is that I buy a low mileage car rather than mine that will have a lot of miles on it when I return it. Looking at the pricing right now, I'm guessing it will still be $45-$55k for a 2016 in 6 months. The M3's typically have more miles than the M2s as they probably make better DD's. If i wait until I can get a 20k Mile version, then after 3 years, maybe I can conservatively get $22k with 70k miles. With tax included, this puts me closer to $30k for 3 years, slightly above where I wanted to be. Maybe I can get a little more for the car later on? What's the chance of getting a low mileage M3 for $45k in 6 months? That would make the math work.

4. Lease a new M340 - This many not be out by then and if it is incentives will be lacking. Biggest downside is no manual transmission and feeling like a downgrade from the M3. I know manuals will be gone soon so sooner or later I will need to get on board. Upside is it's a newer model with newer interior/exterior, supposed improvements over the F30, and 385 HP will make it a quick car, probably as fast as the OG M2.

5. Lease a C43 AMG - from looking at leasetrader, these seem to lease well. New one looks a little better with the C63 Grille and it also now has 385 or so HP. You can get a performance exhaust that I have heard online and it sounds good. Downsides are the same as the M340.

So sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate your opinions on all of this.
If you like MT why don't you find one that you like, keep it, and spend on an extended warranty instead of a new car that you might not like as much? I know the next M4 will have a MT, but will the M3? Not sure if they have said yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Extended warranties will only take you a few extra miles. And of course that just makes the resale worse. The way I see it, for instance, if i have 50k miles after my lease is up and buy my car for $45k, and drive it for 3 more years, I am now selling a 100k mile, 6 year old car. I don't imagine I will get much - maybe $15k. After spending $4-$5k on a warranty, you're talking losing $40k (including tax) in 3 years.

Edit: If you mean options 2 or 3, yes, those are viable if I find a low mileage car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Extended warranties will only take you a few extra miles. And of course that just makes the resale worse. The way I see it, for instance, if i have 50k miles after my lease is up and buy my car for $45k, and drive it for 3 more years, I am now selling a 100k mile, 6 year old car. I don't imagine I will get much - maybe $15k. After spending $4-$5k on a warranty, you're talking losing $40k (including tax) in 3 years.

Edit: If you mean options 2 or 3, yes, those are viable if I find a low mileage car.
well meant either keep or buy now a new mt m3. couple years from now we may find there won't be a new mt m3, or any mt high performance sedan. So if that matters to you, think about finding a keeper. If you'll get over it then yeah just keep leasing whatever seems fun, fits your budget, and makes sense for your life style.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I'm only gonna answer couple of points:

#2 - The M2 is awesome but nowhere near as practical as M3. Rent a small 2 door car for a week when you know you'll have deal with passengers to get that experience.
#3 - I'd hope you can get more than $22k for 5 year old M3.
#4 - based on what you said about the M3 I don't think automatic is for you
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      12-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post

I'm going to go further on his point.

The M340i is NOT a true M car in the handling feel arena and will not drive like one at all. When I went to look at 2 series. I drove each one. 230i MSport, M240i and M2. The former did not even feel anything like the true M2. The M-line regular BMWs are nice, but not the same as bonafide M.
trey1001125.00
      12-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Given the state of affairs in the US economy, option #1 seems smart. Stay nimble, stay flexible, no long-term commitments, hold onto liquidity, and you get back in a car you already know you like and which works for you. We're always seeing good deals on Swapalease, often BMW employee lease takeovers, so if you're patient it's a good bet that something sweet will fall into your lap.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      12-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

#2 - The M2 is awesome but nowhere near as practical as M3. Rent a small 2 door car for a week when you know you'll have deal with passengers to get that experience.
#3 - I'd hope you can get more than $22k for 5 year old M3.
#3 would be a 6 year old M3 with 70k miles. I know there are a lot selling for more but I assume on a private sale there will be some negotiating. Maybe $25k?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Quote:

I'm going to go further on his point.

The M340i is NOT a true M car in the handling feel arena and will not drive like one at all. When I went to look at 2 series. I drove each one. 230i MSport, M240i and M2. The former did not even feel anything like the true M2. The M-line regular BMWs are nice, but not the same as bonafide M.
I think the new one comes with the M diff standard though and a more rigid chassis?
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      12-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Anyone who thinks an M2 isn't a real M car would then have to say the 1M isn't a real M car. Either way anyone who thinks that doesn't matter anyway.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      12-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #12
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

The M2 has 4 seats, not 5. You mentioned you have 3 children, so that could be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:46 AM   #13
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Is this your only car? IDK how people could get by with just an M2 and a huge family of 3 kids.

if you have another car, I'd just get an M2 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:47 AM   #14
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

Buying it at the end of the Lease is the most expensive way possible to own a car. Buying a 6 year old fully maintained M3 for just $15k sounds like an absolute bargain. Have you considered this as an option, leaving you with the cash to buy something the family will fit in?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
The M2 has 4 seats, not 5. You mentioned you have 3 children, so that could be a deal breaker.
Oh I see that I wasn't clear. We have a kid hauler too. We don't pack 5 into the M3 now either but I would keep a car seat in the back for convenience. Weekends are hectic with kid activities so we often split kid duties. I would still say the car seat gets used in the M3 at least once a week.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #16
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry guys we absolutely have another SUV for when we go out as a family.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

Buying it at the end of the Lease is the most expensive way possible to own a car. Buying a 6 year old fully maintained M3 for just $15k sounds like an absolute bargain. Have you considered this as an option, leaving you with the cash to buy something the family will fit in?
Well depends on the residual. On the M3 the residuals were set pretty high (60% in my case), so buy out is $44k which is about where I see 2016 M3's will be around with 50k miles like mine. If the residual was set lower like they are in say the C63 with 50% residuals you would be challenged to find a similar car at a cheaper price than your buyout. In any case what is true is that the 3% residual difference between a lease with 15k per year and 10k per year is probably smaller that the actual depreciation effect in the market.

So that is why I most likely won't buy mine (starting at 50k miles) versus maybe buying someone else's 2016 with say 15k-20k miles for about the same money.

It allows me to drive the car for 3 years and still only have about 65k miles which is not bad when I go to sell versus hitting the magical 100k mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

What's the residual buyout and mileage of your current lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Based on your post, I would go with #1 and find a good lease to swap into.

As a second option, I like the used OG M2 idea. If you can pick one up in the $40k-$44k range with 20k miles, even in 3 years time with 70k miles it should still be worth at least $20k (...I hope).

I find the M2 the perfect sized DD, its small, nimble, and enjoyable to drive. My six year old is in it several times a week and I'll drive it everywhere. You don't need the power of the S55 as a daily in my opinion; while the N55 isn't as good on the track, I think its better around town with its low-end tq that is easily accessible and of course it sounds better.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      12-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #20
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
What's the residual buyout and mileage of your current lease?
I need to check but I recall $44k at time of return. Car will have about 47-48k miles by then.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
Based on your post, I would go with #1 and find a good lease to swap into.

As a second option, I like the used OG M2 idea. If you can pick one up in the $40k-$44k range with 20k miles, even in 3 years time with 70k miles it should still be worth at least $20k (...I hope).

I find the M2 the perfect sized DD, its small, nimble, and enjoyable to drive. My six year old is in it several times a week and I'll drive it everywhere. You don't need the power of the S55 as a daily in my opinion; while the N55 isn't as good on the track, I think its better around town with its low-end tq that is easily accessible and of course it sounds better.

Good luck!
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I feel you'll lose the least by purchasing an OG M2. You should be able to pick one up for around $40-42k when the time comes, and looking at recent M car depreciation trends, it'll probably be worth around $25k in 3 years. $15-17k over 3 years is well under your budget, but have you driven the car yet? I'd say that's the first step; see if you even like the car. I personally preferred the driving characteristics of the OG M2 over the F80/82, although the M3/M4 do have a little nicer interior and a smoother ride with the dynamic dampers.

Last edited by dubzz24; 12-11-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0