BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 10 Days with MR's BMW M2C DCT Vs M2 DCT Comparison

10-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

10 Days with MR's BMW M2C DCT Vs M2 DCT Comparison

Hi Guys.

I'm sorry its took so long, I've just either been too tired or not at my computer to finally write up this personal review on the M2C, as some of you know my good friend MR recently got his new M2C and due to big schedule clashes he couldn't actually complete the run in process, so I got a call asking if I wanted to run it in and then use it until he had to take it to Akrapovic ??, there isn't a person out there who would say no, especially since I own a 17' M2 I wanted to conduct a PERSONAL AND NON BIAS REVIEW AND B2B, so just to clarify I was not asked in anyway to either swing left or right.

Initial impression (Pre run-in)

Where to begin, I picked up the car on a cold morning in his garage, initial impressions were very good, he has spec'd it with the optional M sport brakes and seats which illuminate and being a total nerd for this stuff it really got me excited to drive the car, the front end looks sharper and the fins on the front are more angular and angry... that being said the rear of the car is uninspiring at best... but I’ll get to that later on.

With the rest of the car inside essentially being an M2 I proceeded to press the now red start button and left the door open for the cold start , you'd forgive me for thinking I forgot to press the button when I eventually did because I literally said out loud ''Is that it, BMW are you for real''. (BTW someone needs to create a facepalm emoji it would work perfect for this) I literally couldn't believe my ears, the noise was gone. Forgive me, I'm coming from a M2 with M Performance exhaust and a Akrapovic sport cat downpipe so when I start a car with an M badge and a 'real' M engine I expect theatre and not a weird washing machine sound with no real tone.

First drive

I know the current unfortunate situation in the EU which most of you Americans on this forum will never fully experience or understand the bureaucratic unelected morons that sit in Strasbourg and Brussels and find inventive ways to literally suck every single last bit of 'fun' out of what we love and know to be the automobile, it was fully clear to me that the big issue here was the OPF filter, this horrible big buzz killing parent and I say parent because just yesterday during a conversation with MR I said to him, think of the car being a party and the loud pops and bangs being the music at your own house party, the OPF is the guy who calls your parents and tells them that there is a party going on in your house to which your parents quickly turn up and SHUT YOU DOWN. it literally made absolutely no sound, for the first time in an M2 I could hear myself speak out loud while driving with the window down with passersby staring at me like a mad person has just stolen his parents car.

It just felt like another BMW around Prague, albeit the extra weight and stiffness made the ride feel a little harder, the gearbox fast yet not anywhere near engaging enough it was almost like a ZF which don't get me wrong is a great Gearbox but I don't want seamless shifts in a M2, I want engagement I want the car to talk to me which it wasn't doing and at this point I was 360km from home and missing my M2 .

Driving to the dealer and Leaving the dealer (Run-in service)

Sorry about the substantial jump in subjects there just wasn't much to write about, I drove the car the extra 800km for the run-in on motorway mostly for work the impression stayed the same as the above, I gave it a few pulls on the motorway but I just wanted to bide my time until the run-in.

Picked up the car after the run-in, and left it in comfort and the main reason I did this was to see if the supposed ''Unlock'' really did unlock the car in some way because in past experiences I believed it to be a placebo effect and I believed that if it really did make a difference when I would feel it straight away in the comfort mode...... drum roll please ...... I did.

I can't describe it to you, it’s literally like before the run-in the car was a different car, it now felt alive like someone let it out of a cage much to my amazement because I really did think the whole run in was just a trick to get you used to the car, the car itself already felt more torquey and pulls felt harder it started to talk to me it wanted to go and be let loose onto some B roads which is what I did since it was 16:00 and work was done.

First PROPER Drive.

OK with respect to my friend MR I did call him and ask him if it was ok to really go for it and do a few drifts to find out about the car to which I was told ''If you break it, you pay for it''. I think almost halfway through the voice note he left me, I dropped the phone and mashed the pedal to the floor like it was a rental (Ssorry MR ) it was almost like 800km of running in a boring car had infuriated me to the point I hated it and I wanted to show it why I hated it and that’s when it rewarded me.

I took it just a few kilometers outside where I live on three separate routes (I had MDM on S3 Gearbox S+ Steering S+ Engine ), the first being medium swooping bends with lots of room to accelerate (and brake) where I pushed the thing right to the limit in terms of revving the head of it, the turn-in and corner exit is on another planet compared to my M2 now it’s amazing, the understeer is more or less gone unless you're a complete goof and overcook it, and the corner exit now is now way beyond of the OG M2 which always tries to kick the back end out and won't stay planted, the second and 3rd parts of the drive (There was a refuel in the middle of this drive since it is thirstier then the OG M2 for sure or at least it feels that way) was tight twisties and hairpins with uphill accelerations where again the turn-in was crucial and the car was superb, the brakes superb and the overall handling superb, the only thing missing was the soundtrack which was there (supposedly) but I couldn't hear a thing out of the cabin literally nothing except ASD.

I fiddled with it a little and found if you keep everything S+ except the engine so that means changing it to Efficiency mode you lose 90% of the ASD so when you attack the bends in the high rev range you can actually hear the M4ness of the engine! which was probably the only good thing in terms of sound.

Back to the driving, naturally on the twisties and hairpins of course there where some corner exits where I really pushed it out the corner and the back end gave in but it was a moment of magic, the MDM software which now allows so much more room for play literally gave me the ability to more or less powerslide out of the corner without cutting in like in the M2 and this is probably the best thing about the whole car ( literally felt like Ken Block at this point), this was the moment the M Smile crawled out from all that anger, This was the moment I laughed out loud and said ''This is * Awesome''. the car with its new software is more or less offering what you can also do with DSC OFF in the OG M2 but with a safety net which will cut in when it really does think you'd fudged up! which for me it never did! it was so rewarding to drive the harder you drove it the more it spoke to me and made me laugh and smile. well done BMW for improving most of the aspects of the M2 especially the MDM which is now a world beater.

Negative impressions.....

Ok so back to the normal day to day driving, the car now more or less feels like a smaller m4 in most aspects of driving there's no point in going into fine details, it is what it is.
I touched on the rear end in my initial paragraph of first impressions, the rear end back box is hideous it looks like a double chin or even worse like a fat man wearing a t-shirt two sizes smaller then he should and his belly is hanging out, it literally made me feel self-conscious driving it and I kept worrying what people behind me were thinking its ugly and I presume it has something to do with the OPF but the US version having it too then I feel sorry for you guys, there was a guy who painted it black and it looks a bit better. The M Sport Seats are fantastic they really now hold you in place and my back isn't in pieces (I am 25) after driving for 1 hour like in my car.

The gearbox has completely lost its aggressiveness, even in its sport plus mode, the kick in the back in more or less gone, you get a small push in the back in S+ from gears 1-3 then it completely stops and becomes a ZF again I'm sure this can be fixed but for people who don't want to install different gearbox software it’s a big minus. It’s not at all engaging its uninspiring at best, yeah sure it’s fast but is that what I want when I'm driving through twisties? No I want to feel connected to the car and with this software I don't feel that I feel like the car is shifting and not me, yeah sure you'll all cry ''get a manual then'' but I was informed by my dear friend who drove the manual on track that it’s not better if somewhat probably worse... which brings me finally to my summary of the car. (Sorry it’s been quite long)

Summary and MY opinion

Okay, I’ll try and keep this plain and simple, I really liked the car it was at times fun to drive and at times it felt too much like an M4, the main issue I have with it is that in order to have that 'fun', unless you're drifting it round every single junction or set of lights (Sorry MR I did this a few times ) then the only time I really smiled was when I was pushing the car to the limit, and this is the fundamental issue I have with the car, at low speeds and normal driving it felt too normal for me it didn't really feel special whereas the OG M2 feels fun at all speeds I mean that car makes me smile at 30mph as well as 100mph and I’m always smiling from ear to ear, where as in the M2C I wasn't. Its got 100% to do with the emotion of the car I just feel like the M2C is too well rounded off, the lack of kick in the gear changes makes it too seamless and the lack of noise is just awful. It just doesn’t pull my heart or tickle me in the right places. I was never excited to go drive it again, which for me was the deal breaker. To me it was just another really good BMW not the little rebel I fell in love with

I have no doubts that for someone who isn't such a knit picker like me the car is fantastic, and I would recommend to any first time buyer to buy it. It really is a good package but I feel like its lost its soul and some of its charm.

Thank you for reading

Kris.

Last edited by krizze; 10-07-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 14
cptobvious2531.50
SW192467.50
DanG10790.50
Hankdoll135.50
Nkc1602.50
StLuis51458.50
TF24.50
ChrisK4454.00
izzyM2734.50
hz101171.00
Tornado1M1220.00
      10-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Sooooo you don't like the ultra restrictive Eu mandated exhaust filter. Make it sound like they put it on by choice. The lack of low end punch I find helps put down the power. Having the us 6sp model a aa mid pipe should fix up the exhaust. Can tell that BMW has been a working away between the exgaust/throttle mapping. I took down a 16 mustang with close to 500 bph and a auto. So hard to argue when the S55 keeps pulling where the n55wpild have fallen on its face
Appreciate 1
Phound0.00
      10-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I wonder if it sounded better and was louder if you would feel different. Pitty about the gear box, others have said they didn't notice a difference, wonder if it's just variation between cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I wonder if it sounded better and was louder if you would feel different. Pitty about the gear box, others have said they didn't notice a difference, wonder if it's just variation between cars?
I wonder this too, I'm sure when @MR is done with it and it has an Akrapovic system it will improve the feeling and emotion of the car, as for the gearbox I honestly tried both back to back and it was like water and oil , the M2 more aggressive and more jumpy and the M2C a lot more smooth and seamless but nowhere near as engaging or exciting. If they update the software and meet somewhere in the middle then it should be problem solved! These were the 2 big issues for me other then that I enjoyed the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Engaging and exciting sounds like you need 3 pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
I feel the same as the op. Had a chance to get a M2C and passed. It sounded terrible compared to my LCI with MPE. But, the M2C is by far the best current production M car.
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      10-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Crap - seems like my instinct to walk away from my M2c order is correct - Just love the low-end torque feel on the m2

Does US M2c have detuned low end torque too ?
Appreciate 1
DanG10790.50
      10-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboen View Post
Crap - seems like my instinct to walk away from my M2c order is correct - Just love the low-end torque feel on the m2

Yes, the OG M2 has more low end torque. The M2C kills the M2 from 40 to 100 mph. 0 to 60 mph they are almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Is it possible to have 2 tunes...like can you easily switch tunes when you want. I would love to be able to have more low end torque daily/street, but then switch to another when/if going to the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Is it possible to have 2 tunes...like can you easily switch tunes when you want. I would love to be able to have more low end torque daily/street, but then switch to another when/if going to the track.
I believe the BM3 platform now lets you flash the tunes with your phone in less than 5 minutes.
Appreciate 2
nomoracin761.00
Poochie9107.50
      10-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Can someone pass the popcorn please?

Last edited by devo; 10-07-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8734.00
ChrisK4454.00
BlkSVT388.50
      10-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I'll chime in here at least.
The OPF must have a dramatic effect. My car in efficient is damn quiet. Much quieter than the OG. But it's cool. It's like stealth mode to roll into the neighborhood, like switching a P1 to electric mode.
However, in S+ the car is loud. Louder than the OG by a fair margin. Loud, like children will run for their mommies from the sidewalk loud. Full throttle in second or third and let off the throttle turns heads everywhere. Personally, I prefer ACCELERATION loud, not this decel cracks and burbles, but that's what you get these days. Personally also will really look for the M exhaust to give us that. Poor disappointed EU friends, it's not the case for the US model. Oh, I revved directly next to an M4 Comp. No surprise, the cars sounded very similar! And I would say that the M4 Comp got the S55 exhaust note pretty close to correct.

I'll reference my other fellow forum member and say that we both found the steering dramatically improved. Again, no comment here. The electronic steering in the C is way improved. Much better return to center feel. Lighter in the middle, with increasing weight as you turn, just like hydraulic power steering. I'm really surprised when others don't mention it. This is not even an additional feature of the car like the motor, seats, or LEDs, but is one of the biggest improvements.

The car pulls noticeably harder. And seems more connected. I could mash the throttle in the OG and get the traction light (in Traction Mode, limited intervention) in first or second gear every time. I'm not seeing the traction control light yet. I'm running in MDM only. I'll give this time, but there's a chance BMW has done a better job of sorting out their traction control - for the first time in my experience.

Shun the C? That's a mistake.
Appreciate 6
devo755.00
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6575.00
ChrisK4454.00
BlkSVT388.50
Phound0.00
      10-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #13
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Really?
      10-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I'll chime in here at least.
The OPF must have a dramatic effect. My car in efficient is damn quiet. Much quieter than the OG. But it's cool. It's like stealth mode to roll into the neighborhood, like switching a P1 to electric mode.
However, in S+ the car is loud. Louder than the OG by a fair margin. Loud, like children will run for their mommies from the sidewalk loud. Full throttle in second or third and let off the throttle turns heads everywhere. Personally, I prefer ACCELERATION loud, not this decel cracks and burbles, but that's what you get these days. Personally also will really look for the M exhaust to give us that. Poor disappointed EU friends, it's not the case for the US model. Oh, I revved directly next to an M4 Comp. No surprise, the cars sounded very similar! And I would say that the M4 Comp got the S55 exhaust note pretty close to correct.

I'll reference my other fellow forum member and say that we both found the steering dramatically improved. Again, no comment here. The electronic steering in the C is way improved. Much better return to center feel. Lighter in the middle, with increasing weight as you turn, just like hydraulic power steering. I'm really surprised when others don't mention it. This is not even an additional feature of the car like the motor, seats, or LEDs, but is one of the biggest improvements.

The car pulls noticeably harder. And seems more connected. I could mash the throttle in the OG and get the traction light (in Traction Mode, limited intervention) in first or second gear every time. I'm not seeing the traction control light yet. I'm running in MDM only. I'll give this time, but there's a chance BMW has done a better job of sorting out their traction control - for the first time in my experience.

Shun the C? That's a mistake.
Agreed...

The M2C feels like the proper evolution of the original M2; an improvement in every category. My LCI felt to me as though it was a crude example, fun but crude nonetheless. (Let us not confuse crude with raw). People complaining about any perceived missing low end torque below 2200+/- rpms should be looking for a Prius.

Sorry, but the OP's review lacks real objectivity although his verbiage suggests otherwise.

Last edited by devo; 10-07-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 10
cptobvious2531.50
COChris888.50
ryem31042.00
M-Pilot4861.50
Davil6575.00
Craig335d152.50
MDuckie96.00
ChrisK4454.00
BlkSVT388.50
Phound0.00
      10-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Agreed...

The M2C feels like the proper evolution of the original M2; an improvement in every category. My LCI felt to me as though it was a crude example, fun but crude nonetheless. (Let us not confuse crude with raw). People complaining about any perceived missing low end torque below 2200+/- rpms should be looking for a Prius.

Sorry, but the OP's review lacks real objectivity although his verbiage suggests otherwise.
Thanks.

Oh forgot about that response. Yes, might have a little less torque, but my car comes on HARD at 3000 RPM. Feels like turbo lag to me, but perhaps this response will change and become more linear. I kinda like it. The car FEELS like it pulls way harder than the OG car.

Also, forgot to address the transmission comments. What is the OP talking about? You want some gear shift slam??? What for? So the car will slide in a turn when you shift? Drive a McLaren. No shift slam in those cars. Linear shifting is what you want, smooth and in control yet quick. You mention it's quick, so I don't get the problem. Is it more like a slush box? Maybe, but it isn't. I haven't redlined the car, so I don't know what those shifts are like. Certainly better not to lose time to wheelspin. If that's your game, that's okay, but I'm not really into it.

I was very on the fence about getting the car, but I am quickly becoming a believer, even before break in. Just so many advantages over the OG car. And I don't even bother talking about the TFT dash, the touch screen or the adaptive LED headlights.
Appreciate 3
VIERsr2623.00
devo755.00
Phound0.00
      10-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I respect others' opinion but here's my take on these reviews:

1) Never experienced M cars transforming after break-in service (both my cars and my friends' M2s, M3s, M4s). So don't believe in "after break-in transformation".

2) Really don't understand why people are so obsessed with shaper throttle response and loud exhaust in EFFICIENT mode. It's called efficient for a reason. Go drive an M3/M4 and you'll experience the same tamed throttle with quiet exhaust in Efficient. You want sharper response with aggresive exhaust sound? Then put it in Sport+, simple as that. First thing I used to do in my M4 before even starting the car every time was to hit the M1 button to set the throttle to Sport+ and turn off DSC fully. Believe me it's not that hard. After seeing videos of several stock M2Cs revving in Sport+, I also wouldn't call EU spec M2C with OPF quiet.

3) Before this "low end torque" topic emerged, this forum was full of OG M2 owners claiming OG M2 had the better linear power delivery compared to the high low end torque and abrupt power delivery of S55 M3/M4 (btw BMW fixed this issue in the past year with S55 DME software updates as it can be seen from dyno results). If you look at the M2vs M2C dyno results and various reviews, you'll see M2C has a very linear power delivery. Even many reviewers mentioned it's almost like driving a NA car. So what happened? I thought linear power delivery was the behavior you all wanted. Now all of a sudden the early peak torque of OG M2 is the new cool thing (!). Well good news is this is not a characteristic of either engine. It's all software and can be addressed by a tune if it bothers you that much.
Appreciate 11
devo755.00
COChris888.50
RyanBMW463.00
Poochie9107.50
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6575.00
ChrisK4454.00
BlkSVT388.50
Phound0.00
dmboone254972.00
TProfit81.50
      10-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
First thing I used to do in my M4 before even starting the car every time was to hit the M1 button to set the throttle to Sport+ and turn off DSC fully. Believe me it's not that hard.
my routine as well...
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4454.00
      10-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Really?
From all these reviews regarding the low end torque = yes

I love that instant power sensation I get in my M2 that I didn’t get on my F80 M3 in any settings. Top speed really means nothing to me since I don’t track my cars and I don’t really want to do anything illegal on public roads. Im in it just for daily driving and canyon runs on weekends
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
hz101171.00
      10-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #19
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

I love that instant power sensation I get in my M2 that I didn’t get on my F80 M3 in any settings. Top speed really means nothing to me since I don’t track my cars and I don’t really want to do anything illegal on public roads. Im in it just for daily driving and canyon runs on weekends
Believe me this car does not lack low end torque in any way shape or form. The only way someone could form this opinion is if their daily driver was a mini with a 20 litre Cummins diesel.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8734.00
      10-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:

Here is a man who knows his use case and has found a product that satisfies / optimizes for that use case. Bravo.

There will always be something with more HP, more torque, more this or that. But, if you find that one thing that suits your needs and your particular preferences, and it brings a smile to your face, that's awesome!
Appreciate 2
hz101171.00
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #21
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Seems no one can say anything about any M2 without getting upset.

Even own personal OPINIONS.

So much bickering over the "poor mans" M car.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9107.50
krizze928.00
      10-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #22
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
Seems no one can say anything about any M2 without getting upset.

Even own personal OPINIONS.

So much bickering over the "poor mans" M car.

1+

If the criticism is warranted and not just nitpicking; I welcome it.. It's how you separate the good from the bad..

If every new owner is just in Cloud Nine and just stroking their car or maybe scared to comment, then we'll never learn any of its faults..

For better or worst; let the people speak their mind..
Appreciate 0