08-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Tech Tradeoffs

Hi Folks,

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my LCI LBB in November ... and I'm totally looking forward to the experience. It'll be my third Beemer, but as my other two purchases were 4wd's (a 2001 3.0 X5 & a 2009 4.4 X6), it'll be quite a different drive.

When we were looking at the gadgets/options on the car, there were some that were disappointing to see were still not available ... and other stuff that I think is gimmicky that I'd be quite happy to forego if it meant I could get the stuff that I value

The three things that I'd really like to see on the car are:
1. Blind spot monitoring - its available in loads of cheaper cars now and I don't understand why BMW don't have this on their 1/2 series. In my view, this isn't a gimmick - its a clever technical solution to a problem I regularly experience (both as an offender, and a victim)
2. Front parking sensors - BMW invented this much copied technology, and it can't cost much more than $100 to add it into the car. It helps take out the minor scrapes on the front.
3. Radar cruise control / adaptive cruise control. This is great when doing freeway cruising.

Related to #2, I lament that the M2 doesn't have the 360 camera ... again, inexpensive tech.

The stuff that I think adds cost with little value:
1. Wireless charging - seems to steal space in the centre console and as an iPhone user, I can't take advantage of it.
2. Lane departure warning - hard to see the value in it (I've never used it before), maybe its worthwhile..? Anyway, I'd much rather have blind spot monitoring for this.
3. Speed recognition - I'd say this is quite expensive technology to develop, and I'm not clear on why this would be included and other better tech that is useful every day (like the 360 camera) is deleted.

I guess everyone's got their lists ... anyone else given this some thought..?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

They are trying to keep the cost down and not make a mini me version of the loaded luxury M4.....

I greatly appreciate the "keep the cost down thing."

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
JustChris17545.50
      08-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my LCI LBB in November ... and I'm totally looking forward to the experience. It'll be my third Beemer, but as my other two purchases were 4wd's (a 2001 3.0 X5 & a 2009 4.4 X6), it'll be quite a different drive.

When we were looking at the gadgets/options on the car, there were some that were disappointing to see were still not available ... and other stuff that I think is gimmicky that I'd be quite happy to forego if it meant I could get the stuff that I value

The three things that I'd really like to see on the car are:
1. Blind spot monitoring - its available in loads of cheaper cars now and I don't understand why BMW don't have this on their 1/2 series. In my view, this isn't a gimmick - its a clever technical solution to a problem I regularly experience (both as an offender, and a victim)
Agree, nice to have.

Quote:
2. Front parking sensors - BMW invented this much copied technology, and it can't cost much more than $100 to add it into the car. It helps take out the minor scrapes on the front.
I don't think this was a cost issue. BMW claims they couldn't mount the sensors properly on the M2's fancy bumper. Lots of discussion on this topic and one guy on here just added it himself. lol.

Quote:
3. Radar cruise control / adaptive cruise control. This is great when doing freeway cruising.
Agree.

Quote:
Related to #2, I lament that the M2 doesn't have the 360 camera ... again, inexpensive tech.
Agree. Top-down and side view are nice and don't really add weight. I wouldn't mind a HUD either.

Quote:
The stuff that I think adds cost with little value:
1. Wireless charging - seems to steal space in the centre console and as an iPhone user, I can't take advantage of it.
2. Lane departure warning - hard to see the value in it (I've never used it before), maybe its worthwhile..? Anyway, I'd much rather have blind spot monitoring for this.
3. Speed recognition - I'd say this is quite expensive technology to develop, and I'm not clear on why this would be included and other better tech that is useful every day (like the 360 camera) is deleted.
I don't think I have #1. #2 is useless. #3 I think is useful.

Quote:
I guess everyone's got their lists ... anyone else given this some thought..?
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1220860
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1352684
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1323137
Appreciate 2
V.Smurf164.00
      08-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I agree with the front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. Not necessary by any means and before I ever had either I'd say I real driver didn't need them, now I feel differently. The 360 camera is cool gee-whiz stuff but a HUD that gives us at least RPM's and speedo would have been my top choice.

Still love this car, best modern vehicle I have ever driven
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|DINAN Suspension|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner Stg 1|12/10mm MACHT SCHNELL Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|IND Painted reflectors|ACEXXON/IND Rear Reflectors
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf164.00
      08-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi zenmaster,
Thanks for these - some interesting reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcon View Post
I agree with the front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. Not necessary by any means and before I ever had either I'd say I real driver didn't need them, now I feel differently.
Ditto - it doesn't take anything away from driving, and this isn't expensive stuff to load into the car, and shouldn't increase the cost of the car if other low value items are removed.

Quote:
The 360 camera is cool gee-whiz stuff but a HUD that gives us at least RPM's and speedo would have been my top choice.
I've got the HUD in my X6 ... it's a 2009 system, so fairly basic and the newer systems are no doubt much better. One limitation of the system is that when you are wearing polarised sunglasses, you can't see the HUD! In Australia, its very difficult to drive during the day without sunnies, so in my case, I mostly "consume" the HUD at night.

Quote:
Don't doubt this for a second - really looking forward to the experience. The taster I had during the test drive was certainly totally appealing.

Cheers,

Last edited by V.Smurf; 08-03-2017 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I agree with the front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. Not necessary by any means and before I ever had either I'd say I real driver didn't need them, now I feel differently. The 360 camera is cool gee-whiz stuff but a HUD that gives us at least RPM's and speedo would have been my top choice.

Are there any good aftermarket HUDs?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Are there any good aftermarket HUDs?
I found this, which shows it works with the 2 series but not necessarily the F87. I have also read somewhere that the windshields of HUD cars are polarized but don't know if that in fact is the case. Might be worth looking into and one of us can take the plunge and give it a go.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgJOd_D_BwE
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|DINAN Suspension|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner Stg 1|12/10mm MACHT SCHNELL Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|IND Painted reflectors|ACEXXON/IND Rear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

The product development team at BMW have spent a great deal of expensive and painstaking research so as to offer to their customers exactly those things the latter do NOT want while carefully depriving them of what they DO want. I think we should just accept and be grateful for their superior knowledge LOL.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I found this, which shows it works with the 2 series but not necessarily the F87. I have also read somewhere that the windshields of HUD cars are polarized but don't know if that in fact is the case. Might be worth looking into and one of us can take the plunge and give it a go.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgJOd_D_BwE
Maybe this one

https://gethudly.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Maybe this one

https://gethudly.com/
Look like it would do what we are looking for. Only problem I see is having the projection/receptor units (especially the projector) sticking out would drive my OCD tendencies crazy
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
I have also read somewhere that the windshields of HUD cars are polarized but don't know if that in fact is the case.
I don't know how that could be true, since it would be impossible to wear polarized sunglasses when driving the car - unless you rotate your head 90 degrees. However, many OEMs do laminate a small "reflective" panel on the lower left corner of the windshield to make the HUD readable.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Look like it would do what we are looking for. Only problem I see is having the projection/receptor units (especially the projector) sticking out would drive my OCD tendencies crazy
Yeah, it does appear to be an eye sore. And I hate leaving stuff in the car that looks like something that can be stolen. But it's a real HUD and it will show RPM unlike the other one and it's not too pricey.... $250 with a couple code.

It might show oil temp, and gear you're in, but not sure on that.

Last edited by akkando; 08-04-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi Guys,
Quote:
I have also read somewhere that the windshields of HUD cars are polarized but don't know if that in fact is the case.
I've got an X6 with an HUD ... I recently cracked the windscreen when washing it (I let go of the wiper blade) and it had to be replaced. The insurer was unable to use aftermarket windscreens as they needed one with the polarising film, which is inserted between layers of glass when the windscreen is manufactured. The installer explained that they have to use an OEM windscreen (which was 4x the price) as the film cannot be added on afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I don't know how that could be true, since it would be impossible to wear polarized sunglasses when driving the car - unless you rotate your head 90 degrees.
It is true, although it is still possible to wear sunglasses when driving without rotating your head 90 degrees ... it's just you can see the HUD

When I first drove the car, I thought that the HUD had failed (I had sunnies on). What made it not immediately obvious that the glasses were the problem was that the pair I'd put into the car were not polarised ... but I happened to wear another pair that was ... the HUD appeared to have failed! Easy fix was to leave the non-polarised glasses in the X6.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I recall reading somewhere if the polarity (?) of polarising can be changed (via coding) the HUD could work with polarised sunnies. I never really looked into it ... maybe someone on here knows...?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I knew I had read that info somewhere, glad Im not just hallucinating. At work I go thru the same issues when wearing polarized sunnies with the aircraft windscreen. It can give a rainbow like effect depending on the brand. Years ago I switched to Persol glasses which, while polarized, are made from mineral glass and don't seem to have that problem. Just wish they weren't $300 a pair
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

You can also get sunglasses that are polarized for different angles, say 45 degrees instead of 90, to help solve the problem of HUDs, dash gauges and phone screens going dark. The phone holder in my car rotates 360 degrees, so I just turn it for the brightest screen for Waze depending on which sunglasses I'm wearing.

For anyone who doesn't know what the heck we're talking about, check this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMopC...RRwAR&index=6.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

What really bothers me is why I can't spec the car with no nannies or driving assistance whatsoever including sensors, navigation, rev match, etc. I have zero desire for any of it.
      08-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #17
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Completely agree with 1 and 2 on the OP's list. I would also add HUD as my 3rd before radar cruise control.

Turned Lane departure warning off day 1 and never plan to put it back on.

I doubt that the lack of front parking sensors is related to the angles on the bumper but that the base 2 series didn't have the tech built in. Probably the same for the Blind Spot and HUD, if the 230 and 240 had them as options we would as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #18
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I knew I had read that info somewhere, glad Im not just hallucinating. At work I go thru the same issues when wearing polarized sunnies with the aircraft windscreen. It can give a rainbow like effect depending on the brand. Years ago I switched to Persol glasses which, while polarized, are made from mineral glass and don't seem to have that problem. Just wish they weren't $300 a pair
Thanks for the validation - I'll have a hunt around and see whether that's something that is possible (via coding). I'll stick something in the Bimmercode thread as I'm going to acquire that to fool around with the M2.

I'm going to check out the Persol glasses you mention: I have to wear glasses with lenses (I hate contacts) for driving. Its a fairly gentle prescription, but it means that there is a pretty limited choice of glass ... I actually tried to get some without polarising just so that I could see the HUD, and it wasn't possible here in AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
What really bothers me is why I can't spec the car with no nannies or driving assistance whatsoever including sensors, navigation, rev match, etc. I have zero desire for any of it.
I'd have thought that it was easy enough to offer a stripped down version of the car. In AU, there is a version called "Pure" which does away with several options and saves about $10k off the price. Wasn't there a driver's edition only available in White that stripped out even more..?

In relation to the navigation, that may be an issue with removing the screen as I understand many jurisdictions are legislating to make the technology mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Completely agree with 1 and 2 on the OP's list. I would also add HUD as my 3rd before radar cruise control.

Turned Lane departure warning off day 1 and never plan to put it back on.

I doubt that the lack of front parking sensors is related to the angles on the bumper but that the base 2 series didn't have the tech built in. Probably the same for the Blind Spot and HUD, if the 230 and 240 had them as options we would as well.
I enjoy the HUD I have in my X6, but with the problem of polarised glasses (refer above), there's limited benefit in it for me. It'd probably number 4 on my list though!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 02:01 AM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don't forget airbags and seatbelts.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992544.50
      08-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #20
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando
Quote:
Don't forget airbags and seatbelts.
You know, I feel like federally regulated safety mechanisms are fine. It's more that I don't need sensors to yell at me while parking, or a giant nav screen that's generally useless for navigation when you have gmaps or waze.
      08-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #21
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
You know, I feel like federally regulated safety mechanisms are fine. It's more that I don't need sensors to yell at me while parking, or a giant nav screen that's generally useless for navigation when you have gmaps or waze.
I was just in Germany and got stuck(Literally) with a newer Mercedes rental. Everything is tight over there, makes parking spots in the US look like a football field. Damn car was beeping at me all the time when parking. Drove me nuts.

The final melt down was when I had just checked out of a hotel and was given a paper stub for the parking lot exit gate. I pulled out of my parking spot and entered the gate area on an angle due to the proximity. Swiped the scanner and proceeded to drive out, but the car started beeping and wouldn't let me go forward. I had plenty of room on the front corner, but the car didn't like it. By the time I figured out I needed to reverse and realign the gate shut and I was stuck in the lot!

Now I'm pissed as I needed to get to Hamburg to catch a plane. I get out of the car and slam the door so hard I thought it was going to fall off, all this while screaming like a lunatic as I needed to go back inside for another ticket. And yes, I couldn't re-enter the hotel door without a pass so started to re-park the car so I could go around the building to the front desk. Luckily the front desk clerk saw me throwing a tantrum and opened the gate for me. F@*# the nannies!
Appreciate 1
stefan2360.00
      08-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula
Quote:
I was just in Germany and got stuck(Literally) with a newer Mercedes rental. Everything is tight over there, makes parking spots in the US look like a football field. Damn car was beeping at me all the time when parking. Drove me nuts.

The final melt down was when I had just checked out of a hotel and was given a paper stub for the parking lot exit gate. I pulled out of my parking spot and entered the gate area on an angle due to the proximity. Swiped the scanner and proceeded to drive out, but the car started beeping and wouldn't let me go forward. I had plenty of room on the front corner, but the car didn't like it. By the time I figured out I needed to reverse and realign the gate shut and I was stuck in the lot!

Now I'm pissed as I needed to get to Hamburg to catch a plane. I get out of the car and slam the door so hard I thought it was going to fall off, all this while screaming like a lunatic as I needed to go back inside for another ticket. And yes, I couldn't re-enter the hotel door without a pass so started to re-park the car so I could go around the building to the front desk. Luckily the front desk clerk saw me throwing a tantrum and opened the gate for me. F@*# the nannies!
Fair enough that sounds absolutely infuriating.