BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Display location

03-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Isolde
Private
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Display location

Has anyone figured out a way to relocate the ugly wart on the dash aka the display, to a lower location by the ashtray area? Cannot fathom why they signed off on this poor design? At least with Audi this retracts when you don't want it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

Buy an Audi
Appreciate 1
Seagull290.50
      03-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Isolde
Private
Rep

Is this supposed to be amusing?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Almost all car manufacturers have bought into the ugly stick on dash tablet look, not just BMW.

Of the new Audi's, I'm assuming all models 2018 and going forward will look like the 2018 A4/S4/A5/S5 like below. It's NOT retractable. I think only 2016 A3/S3 and 2016 A7/S7 have the retractable.
Attached Images

Last edited by hshot_rooke; 03-31-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Have to agree, always thought this looked terrible. Like no effort put into design of it.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

It really does break the lines of the dash, so a retraction option would be nice (if it didn't take a crap 14 minutes out of warranty).
The placement DOES make sense as it's in the line of sight of where you should be looking when you're driving. It helps keep your eyes a lot closer to the road than if it was console mounted.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

It is a requirement! The rear backup camera display has to be active in some short time period required by the Queen of All Nannies, the US government. So the higher end cars will have FAST retracting and appearing screens and the rest will have fixed screens. I suspect there is a location requirement also.

But by far the worst, which looks like an after thought, is the BM model (CLA45 and it's siblings). Those look like an IPAD held on with hot glue.

Oh well.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Almost all car manufacturers have bought into the ugly stick on dash tablet look, not just BMW.

Of the new Audi's, I'm assuming all models 2018 and going forward will look something like below. It's NOT retractable. I think only 2016 A3/S3 and 2016 A7/S7 have the retractable.
Looks are subjective. I think modern interiors are beautiful. They've never been higher quality or more ergonomic than they are today. During what era of the automobile do you think interiors were of higher quality or more aesthetically pleasing? I can't think of one. Let's file this under "amateur hour gripes".
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
It is a requirement! The rear backup camera display has to be active in some short time period required by the Queen of All Nannies, the US government. So the higher end cars will have FAST retracting and appearing screens and the rest will have fixed screens. I suspect there is a location requirement also.

But by far the worst, which looks like an after thought, is the BM model (CLA45 and it's siblings). Those look like an IPAD held on with hot glue.

Oh well.

Mike
The NHTSA deadline for manufacturers to install backup cameras in all US vehicles is May 2018. That is one reason it is still an option on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Have to agree, always thought this looked terrible. Like no effort put into design of it.
Yeah, looks terrible, terrible...how the majority of car manufacturers decided to follow this is weird...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Looks are subjective. I think modern interiors are beautiful. They've never been higher quality or more ergonomic than they are today. During what era of the automobile do you think interiors were of higher quality or more aesthetically pleasing? I can't think of one. Let's file this under "amateur hour gripes".
I agree with you, interiors of cars have never looked better. My comments are directed at the stick on tablet.

For example, MB has the nicest finishes and most aesthetically appealing interiors, EXCEPT the glued on TABLET. That in my opinion is UGLY. Everything else inside the MB, I agree is beautiful.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Well at least it looks somewhat integrated instead of being stuck on with superglue (cough mercedes cough)

Edit:

Quote:

For example, MB has the nicest finishes and most aesthetically appealing interiors, EXCEPT the glued on TABLET. That in my opinion is UGLY. Everything else inside the MB, I agree is beautiful.
You beat me to it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
seanhaus
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I'm fairly certain a ton of design time and consideration goes into the placement of these screens.

If I were to guess, it might have something to do with scan-ability and general eye movement. When the screen is on the 'horizon' of the dash, you effectively are able to see the surrounding windshield. Whereas when the screens are lower, your eye drops down and focuses on the screen and the surrounding interior elements.

While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, if it prevents a single accident, I would consider it a successful design.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Before I had the car I was worried that display up there all the time would be annoying, but it really has not been. I've grown to appreciate having it in a convenient location. It would be nice if it retracted but I get why that's not possible. I don't know that I would want it to be located in a lower location since I'm not sure I would want to move the vents or the radio from where they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you, interiors of cars have never looked better. My comments are directed at the stick on tablet.

I think the screens look great. The last thing I'd want is that embedded into the dash taking up real estate. To me the current designs are great. People used to whine about the E92 double hump too. What vehicle has the screen integrated into the dash that you can point to that you think is superior?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
Isolde
Private
Rep

Alfa Romeo Giulia for one. Porsche for two.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Isolde
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're the amateur in this discussion. You've missed the point entirely. Not criticizing the interior as a whole. Just the afterthought look to the display.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #18
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolde View Post
Quote:
You're the amateur in this discussion. You've missed the point entirely. Not criticizing the interior as a whole. Just the afterthought look to the display.
Yeah you're right German engineers are idiots. They make key design decisions as afterthoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #19
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolde View Post
Unfortunately mate, you can't criticize the M2 around here or you just get called an idiot and told to go buy another car. Personally I agree with you, I think the Guilia's implementation is on point. Having said that I think the M2s is better than say the A45's which looks more like it's just tacked on.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:39 AM   #20
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

If all cars had headup displays that could show all information there would be no need for the screens. I can see the screens being like the Audi TT and head up display and no stuck on screen. In the end it's all about not looking down and taking your eyes off the road. Isolde, yes I was
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #21
Isolde
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you're right German engineers are idiots. They make key design decisions as afterthoughts.
You're right! They are all brilliant. Let's see how much is Volkswagen paying at the moment for their brilliance??

Hahahaha well bottom line is it looks like nobody has relocated their display which is what I was interested in.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #22
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

A lot of the BMW displays have a non-integrated look to them these days.
They stuck an iPad mini on that new Audi dash apparently.
Appreciate 0