E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Hiss/Buzz from AUX IN with nothing connected

03-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

Hiss/Buzz from AUX IN with nothing connected

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this problem before. '07 335i with Nav and Logic7.

I can switch to the AUX IN and there is background noise present with the car not running and nothing plugged in to the port. Plug in a Bluetooth adapter and the noise is still there. Start streaming and it finally goes away when the BT adapter is delivering a signal to the system. This is what seems so weird because my searching delivers others having the exact opposite problem (noise when a signal is connected and delivered).

I've tried cables, ground loop isolator, etc. to be thorough but because the noise is present without anything connected I am suspecting the problem is with the system or grounding in the car itself.

Is this a common problem? I've read about many others that seem to only have noise when trying to play music, and this for some odd reason isn't an issue (and some of them were able to remedy with the ground loop isolator). The problem is I often use my phone for navigation or pick random songs or playlists that will end. There will be silence for a short period, but once the BT adapter drops connection, ironically, there is this very distracting noise that is very aggravating and that I have never witnessed on any other car when using an AUX IN port.

Could there be a bad ground somewhere in the car?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Noquills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

First try a few different cables, then a different source. After that if the hiss persists try wiggling the plug in the socket. These direct inputs are very sensitive to connections, connctors. Also they are sensitive to electrical interference (like power cables and transformers) nearby. In the end it may be your socket.

Last edited by Noquills; 03-20-2016 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I've tried different cables, sources - whether with a cable plugged in or the socket completely empty the noise is still there.

Do you know if the socket comes out easily or does the entire console need to be dismantled to access it? I'd be game to check it out. While I'm thinking about it, too, I can check a similar car to see how it behaves as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, a bit disappointing as it seems to indicate something is wrong with the car in question. Checked another '07 335i with Nav and Logic7. That car is dead quiet with AUX selected and nothing plugged in, unlike the one in question.

So it looks like there is some type of problem that needs to be isolated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I suppose I should have posed more questions - such as how hard it is to access the AUX jack wiring or if anyone has had a jack go bad before.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Remove the aux in 15 secs