E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Voice Command "lockup" (no-navi/idrive;yes-assist)

01-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
ss42
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Voice Command "lockup" (no-navi/idrive;yes-assist)

Thanks to the guidance in this forum, pairing my Verizon V3C Razr with my `06 E90/330xi was a breeze. I have no navi/idrive, but I do have BMW assist.

I haven't been able to find any specific doc on precisely how my telephone and voice features are supposed to work, but pretty much everything "just worked" as expected. In fact its really, really cool!

The car correctly displays, on the console UI, all the contents of my phone's phone book. But when I used the voice command "say phonebook", the voice replied "empty". So I said "save foobar" and the console UI displayed "voice input". Even though there was a "quit" softkey, it was unreponsive. The radio power buttons, cycling the car through off, radio-ready, running. Nothing would clear the display! After a mini-panic that I may have wedged some vehicle sub-system, I thumbed through a few keys (i think the voice and telephone buttons on the wheel) and finally regained control. Phew!

Q1: Is there are clear description of the (voice and phone) functions that are suported and how they are inteded to be used for my no-navi yes-assist configuration.

Q2: Any idea what caused my "wedge" and how I may have accidently cleared it.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The phonebook (pb) for your car and the pb for your phone are seperate and distinct. Though your car might display your phone's pb, the voicecommand pb must be input seperately. There is a guide you should have been given when you purchased your car.

BRIEF INSTRUCTIONS:
After you phone and car pair up, you press the phone button on the steering when and after the tone you say " save name". It prompts you for name you'd like to save. It then prompts you to repeat it. Then it prompts you to say the number. Don't be afraid to spit out all the numbers at once for the designated name. It will repeat the numbers back to you. Finally, when it finishes repeating the numbers, it will ask you next. This is when you say "save" and that's it you're done.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
ss42
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Thanks Gilbert!

Your brief instructions worked fine. Except when you said "press the phone button" I assume you meant "press the voice buttton".

I'll hit up my dealer for the manual I suspect I never received.

One interesting behavior I noticed is that when I actually do press the phone button (not the voice button) on the steering wheel, the car immediately initates a call to what (I think) is the last number I called. I should probably just RTFM and not ask these noodling qustions in the forum.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0