THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack TPMS (mostly) questions

06-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

TPMS (mostly) questions

I'm coming up on tire rotation time (just shy of 4000 miles, maybe I should've done it already) on my xDrive, and it's got me wondering about a couple of things regarding TPMS.

1) I'm running 33f/38r for pressure as directed, and I see that matches up on iDrive pressure/temp display showing lower pressure in the front tires than the rears. When I rotate fronts to rear and rears to opposite front, do I have to do something so that the iDrive display matches up the correct corner with the wheel I've just put there?

2) I'm considering a set of aftermarket wheels. I've leased my car and I figure I can have a set of summer wheels with MPSS on them and probably have a small enough amount of miles on the OEM wheels/tires that I won't have to buy a pricey set of RFT's before turn-in, so I get the best of both worlds with only a bit more cash outlay. If I get a second set of wheels, I'd get a second set of TPMS sensors. What will I have to do to get the car to read these? In previous TPMS'd vehicles I'd have to go get the TPMS system wheel ID's reprogrammed every time I'd do a seasonal wheel swap.

I'm hoping that TPMS reset in iDrive will take care of this stuff, is that the case?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
I'm coming up on tire rotation time (just shy of 4000 miles, maybe I should've done it already) on my xDrive, and it's got me wondering about a couple of things regarding TPMS.

1) I'm running 33f/38r for pressure as directed, and I see that matches up on iDrive pressure/temp display showing lower pressure in the front tires than the rears. When I rotate fronts to rear and rears to opposite front, do I have to do something so that the iDrive display matches up the correct corner with the wheel I've just put there?

2) I'm considering a set of aftermarket wheels. I've leased my car and I figure I can have a set of summer wheels with MPSS on them and probably have a small enough amount of miles on the OEM wheels/tires that I won't have to buy a pricey set of RFT's before turn-in, so I get the best of both worlds with only a bit more cash outlay. If I get a second set of wheels, I'd get a second set of TPMS sensors. What will I have to do to get the car to read these? In previous TPMS'd vehicles I'd have to go get the TPMS system wheel ID's reprogrammed every time I'd do a seasonal wheel swap.

I'm hoping that TPMS reset in iDrive will take care of this stuff, is that the case?
1) You don't have to do anything, but to adjust the pressure...if you leave 32 in the rear it will show 32

2)Just reset tpms on idrive
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

So the car just figures out on its own that the front wheels are now in the back, and vice versa? Nice.

Any idea if the aftermarket sensors TireRack (and I suppose others) sells support temperature as well as pressure, like the OEM ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
So the car just figures out on its own that the front wheels are now in the back, and vice versa? Nice.

Any idea if the aftermarket sensors TireRack (and I suppose others) sells support temperature as well as pressure, like the OEM ones?
well the receiver of the front suspension is still in the front suspension so it will read whatever wheel sensor is there.... that's how i think it works...

Yes they do... i have the tirerack ones on a separate wheel set and it shows temp too
Appreciate 0