02-07-2024, 12:23 PM   #23
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
A giant among giants. The best M3 (besides the holy Grail) ever produced IMO....Thanks for sharing this.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #24
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
What’s your total cost of ownership over the 15 years? 100k?
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #25
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Fantastic!

Thank you for sharing!

While most "car guys" would keep it collecting dust as a stationary object and brag about 30k mile garage queen, your 190k+ miles demonstrate the true passion for the car. It is a moving object and is meant to be driven. And given the array of cars between which you've split your driving life, the high miles on this one also speak the message loudly: you put your right foot where your mouth is. 😉👏👍
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2024, 01:29 PM   #26
My M3
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X Drive

Happy birthday The E46 M3 is a great car Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 01:52 PM   #27
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a great post. Appreciation should easily exceed triple digits. I made my contribution.

What struck me ...

- Some cars are worth keeping. Yours is one of them!
- Good maintenance practices are a must. Wishing you another 200K miles and 2 new batteries

The color is just phenomenal.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #28
skinnyroots
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Great read. Funnily it was a good friend and his 325i that really got me to appreciate Bimmers. He's def part of the reason I own my F87 today.

How'd you keep the paint looking so fresh? Curious if it's ever been resprayed or if you have PPF.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 02:18 PM   #29
cehrl7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2022 X3MC  [10.00]
You had me with the first picture of the Hot G.. I mean car.
Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 02:23 PM   #30
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

This is front page material!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 02:23 PM   #31
My M3
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X Drive

Was there something I missed 😀
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 02:41 PM   #32
Supercar Ace
Jedi Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3 Coupe LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickcz View Post
This is amazing.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80got6speed View Post
That’s wild! The F80 is my 1st M3 and 2 years later I still love it! Let’s see if we make it to 15 😅
F80's a great! I hope you get to the 15 year mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
This was the model that made fall in-love with BMW M…
Once I saw the color for the first time, I knew I had to have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawawa View Post
Good stuff. My 2005 6MT TiAg/IR coupe has about 160k miles. It’d be interesting to see/know:

1. Total cost of ownership if you’ve tracked that.

2. Any issues with your seating? I have some stitching issues on driver’s seat as well as top center of rear seats.

3. How often you were changing oil before the spun bearing (mine went at 125k).

Thanks.
1. That's a really interesting question...I kinda want to know...but I kinda don't wanna know lol

2. As with any car that gets good use the interior is a bit worn on the high use areas, so the front seats are getting warn and have little tears on the sides. But hey it's 23 year old leather so it's natural.

3. I did full oil changes every 15k miles and usually had a few extra quarts to top it off added in there every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT888 View Post
have never driven a 458 but from what have heard they are worth the money lol
100%. If you ever get a chance, drive one. It's what supercars are all about, that car is pure magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPowered View Post
Beautiful Post Supercar Ace! I agree with just about everything you said. I've had my '06 Silver Gray/Black ZCP for 11 years now and cannot ever think of parting with it. I don't even know what I would buy. I recently picked up an IS500 for daily /dad duties and while it's fun, it's definitely not an E46 M3. I've also 'theory-crafted' a blank check build for my car, but I haven't won the lottery yet to drop the $100K+ it would take to do it lol.

I love lamborghini's as much as you do, but my dream would be a 2000 Diablo GT/2001 VT6.0SE.
Awesome, welcome to the decade+ ownership club! It really is hard to think what you could replace it with, and the only other options seems to be with another one haha. Also nice to meet a fellow Lambo guy. Diablo's are epic and I'd love to scoop up a 98 or 99 Diablo SV...but prices on those have gone so far up you might as well get an Aventador lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
love it! timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiFan13 View Post
Don't ever sell that car!!! Cars will NOT get better to drive. My 2nd fav BMW of all time...after the E30.
My family has adopted the car so they've forbidden me from selling it The E30 is a classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
“Other useless vanity metrics”… half-naked woman next to the car. Made me LOL.

I had the e46 M3 manual transmission as new. Great car. After a couple years it was just OK. Liked my e93 better, but that’s just me.
Gotta know how to advertise My best friend has an E92 and he prefers that car over the E46...the best part is that there's no wrong answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Great story and an absolutely beautiful machine. This is the exact car down to the color and trans that began my passion for BMW and M cars specifically. I remember my college chem profesor had a LSB on black manual E46 and I got a chance to ride in it a few times and I've been hooked ever since. Thank you for the review and I agree don't ever sell it. A legendary vehicle!!
Thank you! I have a lot of great memories with this machine and hopefully many more to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
well this is a forum post like the good old days.
Bringing it back old school style. I used to be way more active on here setting up meetups and drives, but social media platforms have replaced a lot of what the forums do. However, there's beyond too much knowledge on here on everything you need to know about these cars so I'm happy to see they are still alive and well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickcz View Post
This is amazing.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resoelg View Post
A giant among giants. The best M3 (besides the holy Grail) ever produced IMO....Thanks for sharing this.
My pleasure I love sharing my passion and enthusiasm with people who can appreciate these awesome machines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
What’s your total cost of ownership over the 15 years? 100k?
That is a really really good question...I have all the service records so I suppose I actually could add it all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Fantastic!

Thank you for sharing!

While most "car guys" would keep it collecting dust as a stationary object and brag about 30k mile garage queen, your 190k+ miles demonstrate the true passion for the car. It is a moving object and is meant to be driven. And given the array of cars between which you've split your driving life, the high miles on this one also speak the message loudly: you put your right foot where your mouth is. 😉👏👍
Exactly, I completely agree. these machines have souls and are meant to be driven and shared with the world, not hidden away to never feel the fresh air, warm road and the thrill of speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by My M3 View Post
Happy birthday The E46 M3 is a great car Thanks for sharing
Many thanks and it was my pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What a great post. Appreciation should easily exceed triple digits. I made my contribution.

What struck me ...

- Some cars are worth keeping. Yours is one of them!
- Good maintenance practices are a must. Wishing you another 200K miles and 2 new batteries

The color is just phenomenal.
Thank you so much and yes, with some good upkeep these cars will last. It does shock me how I managed to average about 8 years of battery life with each battery...seem this car is more efficient than a lot of EV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyroots View Post
Great read. Funnily it was a good friend and his 325i that really got me to appreciate Bimmers. He's def part of the reason I own my F87 today.

How'd you keep the paint looking so fresh? Curious if it's ever been resprayed or if you have PPF.
Honestly I just wash it regularly and wax it every now and again. Keeping it garaged has also been a huge help. The paint is all factory original except for the front bumper (which was replaced after a lot of rock chips), the hood and rear bumper, which where resprayed. I think after my next respray I'll actually clear bra the whole car, but honestly the paint has held up really really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehrl7 View Post
You had me with the first picture of the Hot G.. I mean car.
I know how to get attention

Appreciate 4
cfm56d7b5886.00
eljay1443.50
alphawawa190.00
      02-07-2024, 02:49 PM   #33
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer84 View Post
Beautiful car man, I’ve always wanted a Laguna Seca E46 M3. The car that sparked my interest in the brand as a kid. Maybe one day.
Same here man, what a great car! I still love em till this day, especially a Laguna Seca Blue E46; my mouth drops to the ground when I see one on the road, beautiful bmws.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 03:10 PM   #34
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Congrats on the milestone OP! So refreshing to read such a story.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 03:25 PM   #35
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Great read!

I've owned my E46 M3 since 2016 when it had 60k miles, and I continue to drive it every day. It now has 170k miles, and I simply can't stop driving it. You're correct; many people don't keep their cars long enough to truly understand them. I intend to keep mine until the wheels fall off, and I'm even considering refreshing the car with EAG.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 04:45 PM   #36
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Ultimate write up on an Ulimate M3
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 04:49 PM   #37
Supercar Ace
Jedi Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Same here man, what a great car! I still love em till this day, especially a Laguna Seca Blue E46; my mouth drops to the ground when I see one on the road, beautiful bmws.
Same...funny how I'll spot another LSB when I'm in another car...but those rare times when I'm in mine and see another...🔥🔥🔥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGRITY View Post
Congrats on the milestone OP! So refreshing to read such a story.
Thanks! I love sharing my experiences as much as I love hear about them from others

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Great read!

I've owned my E46 M3 since 2016 when it had 60k miles, and I continue to drive it every day. It now has 170k miles, and I simply can't stop driving it. You're correct; many people don't keep their cars long enough to truly understand them. I intend to keep mine until the wheels fall off, and I'm even considering refreshing the car with EAG.
Awesome, I love hearing stuff like this! I am considering a full blown "make it factory fresh" resto from a few places that specialize it, my only fear would be that it'd be so clean I'd not want to drive it any more...tough decisions to be made...

Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
s_ribs37.50
      02-07-2024, 06:51 PM   #38
TX552
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 21 X3

I bet in 15 years NO ONE will say the same thing about any EVs.
Appreciate 3
mathys202.50
M5Rick60060.50
      02-07-2024, 11:36 PM   #39
Supercar Ace
Jedi Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
Ultimate write up on an Ulimate M3
Many humbled thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX552 View Post
I bet in 15 years NO ONE will say the same thing about any EVs.
I'm betting you won't be wrong...and I don't think we'll see the massive EV push we're seeing now. Hybrids are likely the better option for the future, but there will always be a need for proper, purity of joy driving machines so I'll also be excited in 15 years to see what else has been made.

Last edited by Supercar Ace; 02-08-2024 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:57 AM   #40
NotSharocks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm at 13 years with my 04.

It's a car that does everything decent for not crazy money in comparison.

I've been fortunate to spend time and own some other cars and there's nothing that would make me sell mine for something else.

It's always ADDING cars lol.

Nice to see there's some long term owners here, most of what's here is all about the new stuff.
sly1types431.50
      02-08-2024, 06:20 AM   #41
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Great post and review, your M3 (and other cars) are amazing.

I’ve had a ton of different fast cars (no exotics mind you but a lot of powerful/modified domestics like the CTS-V wagon with manual trans, ZL1 Camaro, 5th gen Corvette, SRT’s, modified STIs etc. and am on my fourth M car.)

My current ‘24 M4 Comp x-Drive is literally the best car I’ve owned. It’s like a super car with all weather capabilities, bottom 11 second quarter mile time at 123mph, 0-60 in 3.0 seconds on an unprepped surface, handles like it’s on rails. It’s just insane how capable it is. I love everything about it and even though I’m leasing it intend to buy it out at the end of the lease and keep it long term. Hoping it stays reliable and I can get 200K out of it as well.
      02-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #42
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Great post! This was "THE" car I drooled over in College, same color. Still an amazing color.
      02-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #43
Supercar Ace
Jedi Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSharocks View Post
I'm at 13 years with my 04.

It's a car that does everything decent for not crazy money in comparison.

I've been fortunate to spend time and own some other cars and there's nothing that would make me sell mine for something else.

It's always ADDING cars lol.

Nice to see there's some long term owners here, most of what's here is all about the new stuff.
Congrats on the decade+ ownership club! And you're right, some cars are just keepers so all you can do is ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Great post and review, your M3 (and other cars) are amazing.

I’ve had a ton of different fast cars (no exotics mind you but a lot of powerful/modified domestics like the CTS-V wagon with manual trans, ZL1 Camaro, 5th gen Corvette, SRT’s, modified STIs etc. and am on my fourth M car.)

My current ‘24 M4 Comp x-Drive is literally the best car I’ve owned. It’s like a super car with all weather capabilities, bottom 11 second quarter mile time at 123mph, 0-60 in 3.0 seconds on an unprepped surface, handles like it’s on rails. It’s just insane how capable it is. I love everything about it and even though I’m leasing it intend to buy it out at the end of the lease and keep it long term. Hoping it stays reliable and I can get 200K out of it as well.
That's a great list of cars you have under your belt! And yes, the new G platform cars are wildly insane with their speed, handling and most importantly...they finally got the interiors fully on point! I hope you get to 200k miles as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Great post! This was "THE" car I drooled over in College, same color. Still an amazing color.
Thank you

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:00 PM   #44
NB STIG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp G83

Garage List
Congrats from fellow m3 owner!

Thanks for sharing the love story for your Laguna Seca M3. I know there are "better" cars out there that are faster, more reliable, more capable, more luxurious, etc. BUT, there is something special about an M3 e46...I guess some would say it has a soul. I own a 2005 BMW M3 ZCP in Interlagos Blue and I absolutely love it. My car has currently 83K miles and it brings me joy every time I turn the key on and I hear the amazing S54. Again congrats and many more happy miles...
Appreciate 0