Today, 04:44 AM   #8119
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
These are points I could absolutely agree with. It's known that supercharging/DC charging is way worse for the battery in the long term. Fast, hot charges are what kill usable storage quickly and deeply affect the resale value of the car.

And that's where I fall in line with y'all: range anxiety that's only alleviated by Level3 DC charging (which will incrementally degrade the battery), exacerbated by the fear of charging past 80% repeatedly at home, all to protect the value of a depreciating asset.

It's easy for me to consider a brand new EV, with a warranty, in sunny California where temperature doesn't have any effect on my supposed car. I could charge to 80% every night at home, nice and slow at 240V, for 24 cents a kWh.

But I can't imagine what I'd do if I was renting an apartment, still, and only had access to fast charging, which probably costs similar if not more than gas, while knowingly harming my car. Nor what I'd do if I were in Canada, watching my estimated range get nerfed for more than half the year. I don't hop in the Miata and romp on it until it's warmed up; can't expect the average consumer to not experience anxiety about knowingly (or blissfully ignoring) that they're slowly killing their capacity. All valid concerns. But we differ from where to go from there: I always think it makes more sense to continue to experience and see these issues as a form of progress; it's not a reason to stop here.
Back on page 361 I was chastised for stating I get my science information from science textbooks (written before the internet). The criticism was that the books are outdated and the science has advanced (meaning scientific understanding I guess Dan B was saying). My reply was not the fundamentals of science (which is what textbooks teach). That is relevant to your last sentence regarding progress. Some of the best engineering practice is to accept a level of advancement, meaning understanding what is "good enough".

Scale your battery charging observations (concerns) to the next level of automotive products, heavy trucks, construction, and mining equipment. These vehicles are single-purposed to perform heavy work. EV batteries do not scale well here. They can't be recharged while the operator sleeps at home all comfy in his bed. These vehicles are run constantly in some cases and operators are changed out. These vehicles use the same fuels as light-duty cars and pickup trucks. Taking away the gasoline fuel market for light-duty vehicles (where EV sort of works) effects the heavy-duty vehicle market because gasoline and diesel (and jet fuel) are refined at fixed ratios. That means diesel can't be produced without gasoline as an adjacent product of refining oil. These ratios are fixed by trillions of dollars of refinery hard infrastructure. So when you want to advance the state of the art of light-duty EV you are inadvertently creating a downstream effect on other parts of the economy that will raise the price of everyday items and limit the availability of products and services.

This is why I advocate to advance the more efficient combustion of gasoline and diesel. Batteries are limited and antiquated thinking.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; Today at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60357.50
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 05:25 AM   #8120
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
EV battery outgassing is so fast and lethal, you literally don't have time to pull over and get out. I suspect this is one reason why EV car fires kill more people than a 1971 shitbox Pinto. You can really see it in all the Chyna scooter in an apartment outgas ignition vids. Now imagine you have your kids strapped in their car seats, how horrible.

EV owner: ''That would never happen to me of course it wouldn't, they don't design for that to happen, how could that possibly happen to mine blowing out like that...Oh honey we're only charging the suv outside the garage from now on'
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1504.50
AmuroRay2298.50
      Today, 07:01 AM   #8121
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Montreal-area Tesla owner frustrated after accident using driving app

I will never park my G82 next to or close to those called smart cars. Don't worry, I will stay away from you guys

A colleague of mine, lead tech geek, Jason, back in 2019 was demonstrating his Model 3's fetch feature. We were standing at the front door of the building. The parking lot is in front of the building but separated by a road between the building and the parking lot, which is just two rows of spaces with a good 25 feet between them. After about 2 minutes, his Model 3 just got all confused trying to navigate to us. Jason had to hit the red abort button on the app to avoid his Model 3 from hitting another parked car. I said sarcastically, "Man we could have just walked over to your car in about 30 seconds". He just smiled. Beta testing...

The whole thing felt uncomfortable to me, like watching someone's home movie of his little kids running around naked in the back yard.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60357.50
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 08:27 AM   #8122
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Scale your battery charging observations (concerns) to the next level of automotive products, heavy trucks, construction, and mining equipment. These vehicles are single-purposed to perform heavy work. EV batteries do not scale well here.
That will be enough common sense and clear thinking from you, mister. Please return to our regular emotionally driven drivel masking as facts.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 08:56 AM   #8123
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
That will be enough common sense and clear thinking from you, mister. Please return to our regular emotionally driven drivel masking as facts.
Cell phones are great! See how far they've advanced in 25 years? EV will happen the same way.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:46 AM   #8124
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Back on page 361 I was chastised for stating I get my science information from science textbooks (written before the internet). The criticism was that the books are outdated and the science has advanced (meaning scientific understanding I guess Dan B was saying). My reply was not the fundamentals of science (which is what textbooks teach). That is relevant to your last sentence regarding progress. Some of the best engineering practice is to accept a level of advancement, meaning understanding what is "good enough".

Scale your battery charging observations (concerns) to the next level of automotive products, heavy trucks, construction, and mining equipment. These vehicles are single-purposed to perform heavy work. EV batteries do not scale well here. They can't be recharged while the operator sleeps at home all comfy in his bed. These vehicles are run constantly in some cases and operators are changed out. These vehicles use the same fuels as light-duty cars and pickup trucks. Taking away the gasoline fuel market for light-duty vehicles (where EV sort of works) effects the heavy-duty vehicle market because gasoline and diesel (and jet fuel) are refined at fixed ratios. That means diesel can't be produced without gasoline as an adjacent product of refining oil. These ratios are fixed by trillions of dollars of refinery hard infrastructure. So when you want to advance the state of the art of light-duty EV you are inadvertently creating a downstream effect on other parts of the economy that will raise the price of everyday items and limit the availability of products and services.

This is why I advocate to advance the more efficient combustion of gasoline and diesel. Batteries are limited and antiquated thinking.
This is the kind of conversation the world needs to be having; I've never actually thought about this. I'll admit I don't know much about crude oil refining; just that certain temps generate certain products but without a full top to bottom flow, a lot of the crude is wasted. We can't just make Jet Fuel and Diesel and not make Gasoline and all the other lubricatives.

In your example, the thing that scares me most is the downstream, like you mentioned. I don't see a single negative to every delivery truck being an EV; mail, packages, shelf-stocking, logistics. However, reserving oil-products/diesel for exclusively-heavy lifters would be horrendous: I'm trying to imagine how much it'd cost to excavate and prep land for a residential build if the larger machines were the main and only consumers of fuel. As if housing prices aren't high enough now!

I think I disagree with the refinery/infrastructure POV, though. Plenty of previously-booming infrastructure and business has dried up; when's the last time you went into a vacuum repair store? (Obviously a low-brow example, but a just one.) How much longer will the car dealership model continue to be a smart real estate investment as more and more manufacturers move to partial online sale offerings? Growing pains are growing pains but the world's still spinning.

I think we all know how it's going to go. Promised, "hard" deadlines that get pushed further and further to the right every 5 years; but it's these looming, truthfully soft deadlines that drive innovation toward better battery technology, range improvements, EV tire technology, etc; one might argue that without a deadline (even a fake one), no one would push the envelope without huge financial benefits, which EVs are not, currently.
      Today, 10:06 AM   #8125
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Reality sets in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 11:51 AM   #8126
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Reality sets in.
Layoffs of the supercharger team and new product team (new products? what?).
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:26 PM   #8127
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
We aren't getting the full picture on their cash flow trajectory, but they are pulling all the levers to maximize it.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 12:31 PM   #8128
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Charging in TX might get exciting this Summer. The Green Insanity rolls on, even in TX.

August power prices for Dallas have jumped to $168.70 a megawatt-hour, the highest level in five years for this time of the year, and an 82% premium versus a year earlier. Gee, I wonder why.

https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/sta...5Es1_&ref_url=
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 12:52 PM   #8129
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
New product is robotaxi, when the big man has claimed the August 8 date... times a ticking to keep his genius rolling...

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:07 PM   #8130
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
This is the kind of conversation the world needs to be having; I've never actually thought about this. I'll admit I don't know much about crude oil refining; just that certain temps generate certain products but without a full top to bottom flow, a lot of the crude is wasted. We can't just make Jet Fuel and Diesel and not make Gasoline and all the other lubricatives.

In your example, the thing that scares me most is the downstream, like you mentioned. I don't see a single negative to every delivery truck being an EV; mail, packages, shelf-stocking, logistics. However, reserving oil-products/diesel for exclusively-heavy lifters would be horrendous: I'm trying to imagine how much it'd cost to excavate and prep land for a residential build if the larger machines were the main and only consumers of fuel. As if housing prices aren't high enough now!

I think I disagree with the refinery/infrastructure POV, though. Plenty of previously-booming infrastructure and business has dried up; when's the last time you went into a vacuum repair store? (Obviously a low-brow example, but a just one.) How much longer will the car dealership model continue to be a smart real estate investment as more and more manufacturers move to partial online sale offerings? Growing pains are growing pains but the world's still spinning.

I think we all know how it's going to go. Promised, "hard" deadlines that get pushed further and further to the right every 5 years; but it's these looming, truthfully soft deadlines that drive innovation toward better battery technology, range improvements, EV tire technology, etc; one might argue that without a deadline (even a fake one), no one would push the envelope without huge financial benefits, which EVs are not, currently.
The free market is the best force for creation of new and better products, not government mandates. That's how all this started, with CARB.
Appreciate 3
kyriian886.00
eugenebmw1504.50
      Today, 01:12 PM   #8131
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Agree. Not now, but up to 2022 I was in a business doing very large scale safety-of-life systems integration for the past 15 years. Software is nowhere near perfect and redundant hardware reliablibilty at a cost point that makes self driving anywhere near safe in a $40,000 automobile doesn't exist. The near autonomous Google pods that self-drive around Silicon Valley have goofy-ass-looking sensor suites that are impractical for private ownership and those cars still hit things, animals, and humans. The tech can probably get there eventually, but affordability is the real question.
I suspect we are going to need a major new technology to handle self driving - the LLMs such as ChatGPT, as clever as they are and despite the hype, are unlikely give you such as they don't understand anything as they are just statistical models, e.g. they have no comprehension about something being solid and that the car can't enter same space as another solid - they have just learnt they shouldn't cross that line and if the line looks different they may have not learnt not to cross it.

I suspect we are also going to need powerful computers on the car and currently those will take a lot of space and power.

Probably doesn't help with people like Musk thinking humans only need eyes to drive - so fixed cameras can work as well - no my eyes and head are mobile and neural net that's taken decades to train to comprehend the world.

I think This xkcd sums it up
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:22 PM   #8132
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
New product is robotaxi, when the big man has claimed the August 8 date... times a ticking to keep his genius rolling...
Sounds like construction frozen, even on projects in progress. You don't halt in progress jobs unless the cashflow is dire.

Tesla’s move this week to lay off much of the team responsible for creating the largest and most successful electric-vehicle charging network in the U.S. threw the industry into a state of shock and confusion.

The layoffs halted construction work at a dozen Supercharger sites in Texas. In New York, property owners in negotiations with Tesla were told the company was withdrawing from discussions about adding chargers to their sites.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:12 PM   #8133
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Ok.
If you are using the meter to check whether you have RF emissions, get an idea of the power and try to locate the sources, I sure it will do a good job especially if it is very directional – and if I was trying to trace source of interference I’d likely consider one (as I said trust it to show there is some RF).

Studies have found no evidence that low level RF energy has impact on peoples' health, so for almost everyone there is no issue or need to worry, but I don’t rule out people being sensitive to EMF as who knows what is buried in our DNA that is only active for a few people and some animals are able to detect electrical signals.
Appreciate 0