BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Limited boot space for nothing?

04-22-2024, 02:24 PM   #1
AndreiPopescu
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16 2016

Garage List
Limited boot space for nothing?

If BMW displays the battery being positioned in front of the rear differential, then why did they limit the boot space? Every car journalist says the boot is reduced to accomodate the battery, but it doesnt seem like the battery is underneath it.

Is this just to show the drivetrain in a more pleasant way or did they place the fuel tank underneath the boot?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tenac4566.50
      04-22-2024, 03:04 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I never put thought into that, but yeah looks like the battery from you image is where the typical BMW saddle tank is for fuel. Makes me wonder where they moved it too or are the fuel and battery that whole unit somehow?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:11 PM   #3
DallasCajun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Base

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Outside of not having storage under the cargo floor, I certainly don't feel as though the cargo space is limited at all. It would be nice to have a little space for the charging cables and other small tools but that's why they placed it all in a fancy XM bag.

I just took a look under the vehicle and only see suspension/drivetrain components in that area but the gas tank could be hidden from view. But given the battery is a) extremely heavy and b) a consistent weight regardless of charge it makes sense to place it in the middle while the gas tank sits behind it for handling/CoG purposes.

The gas tank is variable weight and probably not as heavy as the battery unless full.

2023 Ford Bronco Raptor, 2017 BMW 540i, 2016 BMW X5M, 2011 BMW M3, 2011 Carrera GTS, 2010 Panamera S, 2009 911 Carrera S, 2001 Boxster S - gone
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2024, 03:37 PM   #4
AndreiPopescu
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCajun View Post
Outside of not having storage under the cargo floor, I certainly don't feel as though the cargo space is limited at all. It would be nice to have a little space for the charging cables and other small tools but that's why they placed it all in a fancy XM bag.

I just took a look under the vehicle and only see suspension/drivetrain components in that area but the gas tank could be hidden from view. But given the battery is a) extremely heavy and b) a consistent weight regardless of charge it makes sense to place it in the middle while the gas tank sits behind it for handling/CoG purposes.

The gas tank is variable weight and probably not as heavy as the battery unless full.
Considering 70L (18.5 gal) of petrol weights 51kg or 112lbs, compared to the weight of a 30kwh battery which is about 250kg or 550lbs and takes well over 200l of space, for sure the fuel tank is located underneath the boot. Also look at the weight distribution, 49% front /51% rear. This would be messed up if a 250kg battery was at the very end. + it would've oversteered. The last place you want to have a lot of weight is at the very back
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPopescu View Post
If BMW displays the battery being positioned in front of the rear differential, then why did they limit the boot space? Every car journalist says the boot is reduced to accomodate the battery, but it doesnt seem like the battery is underneath it.

Is this just to show the drivetrain in a more pleasant way or did they place the fuel tank underneath the boot?
I would say other components where the battery is need to be shifted somewhere else. Additionally as others have stated the gas tank remains and the XM has rear steer so all that has to be stashed somewhere.

Look at any other hybrid vechile with a battery and boot space is reduced.
Appreciate 0