VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
In our case I believe it was a trim piece based on discussions on the iX forum. Wasn’t a big deal for us as my wife was happy with her existing car.
I remember that one. I was overly active on that forum for almost a year. Lot of good people over there.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2024, 05:02 PM   #24
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XM, M4c F82, F30 320d

Bmw XM break system recall in the UK

Hello guys, I have just purchased a Bmw XM about 3 weeks ago and my BMW dealer has informed me that the car is with stop sale as of breaking system. As it has already been 3 weeks and i have not received any update regarding the time that this recall repair can take i am wondering if i am entitled to a substitute car until the XM gets repaired? Also has anyone got this issue, if so did it get resolved and how long did it take to get resolved? Based in the United Kingdom.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:10 PM   #25
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor2000 View Post
Hello guys, I have just purchased a Bmw XM about 3 weeks ago and my BMW dealer has informed me that the car is with stop sale as of breaking system. As it has already been 3 weeks and i have not received any update regarding the time that this recall repair can take i am wondering if i am entitled to a substitute car until the XM gets repaired? Also has anyone got this issue, if so did it get resolved and how long did it take to get resolved? Based in the United Kingdom.
Vehicles with a production date through mid-September are impacted by the recall which means that some of the earliest 2024 models would be included, but none of the Labels since those didn’t start production until Early October. Regarding the loaner vehicle, since you haven’t taken delivery yet, it will be up to the dealer to provide a loaner vehicle if they choose to do so. They will not get reimbursed by BMW since you don’t own it yet, so probably not. On the other hand, had you already taken ownership of the vehicle and you took it in for service, a loaner vehicle would be provided until the recall is completed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #26
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Vehicles with a production date through mid-September are impacted by the recall which means that some of the earliest 2024 models would be included, but none of the Labels since those didn’t start production until Early October. Regarding the loaner vehicle, since you haven’t taken delivery yet, it will be up to the dealer to provide a loaner vehicle if they choose to do so. They will not get reimbursed by BMW since you don’t own it yet, so probably not. On the other hand, had you already taken ownership of the vehicle and you took it in for service, a loaner vehicle would be provided until the recall is completed.

The vehicle i have purchased is pre used - 2023 and when I completed a check on the vin and reg number it shows that there are no current recalls on the vehicle it has already done 5000 miles in the hands of one of the directors at BMW, so i am not sure why is it now that they have sale stopped it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:28 PM   #27
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The vehicle i have purchased is pre used - 2023 and when I completed a check on the vin and reg number it shows that there are no current recalls on the vehicle it has already done 5000 miles in the hands of one of the directors at BMW, so i am not sure why is it now that they have sale stopped it.
All 2023’s are affected because it was built before September 2023. The 2024s started production in August for the XM base model. If you look up your VIN on the following website, I’m willing to bet you’ll see a defect code.

Note that this is an open source tool and is not owned or supported by BMW; however it does query their APIs:

https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:37 PM   #28
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
All 2023’s are affected because it was built before September 2023. The 2024s started production in August for the XM base model. If you look up your VIN on the following website, I’m willing to bet you’ll see a defect code.

Note that this is an open source tool and is not owned or supported by BMW; however it does query their APIs:

https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app
There is a defect code 0061500700 but it says it is closed and no open recall. Anyways, is there any info on how long would it take for my vehicle to get released as i am starting to get frustrated with the waiting?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:45 PM   #29
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is a defect code 0061500700 but it says it is closed and no open recall. Anyways, is there any info on how long would it take for my vehicle to get released as i am starting to get frustrated with the waiting?
This is really no different than any of the airbag recalls on so many vehicles. They’re probably waiting on parts and when they get them, they’ll be distributed to the VPCs first (although there shouldn’t be any impacted vehicles still sitting at the VPCs) followed by the dealerships to process new vehicles so they can start being cleared. Then they’ll open it up for people to bring in their existing vehicles or used vehicles. The dealerships are not allowed to sell them if they are impacted just for liability reasons.

Unfortunately, it may take a while. Last year’s airbag recall that was on several BMW vehicle platforms took six months to get parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:48 PM   #30
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is really no different than any of the airbag recalls on so many vehicles. They’re probably waiting on parts and when they get them, they’ll be distributed to the VPCs first (although there shouldn’t be any impacted vehicles still sitting at the VPCs) followed by the dealerships to process new vehicles so they can start being cleared. Then they’ll open it up for people to bring in their existing vehicles or used vehicles. The dealerships are not allowed to sell them if they are impacted just for liability reasons.

Unfortunately, it may take a while. Last year’s airbag recall that was on several BMW vehicle platforms took six months to get parts.
Thank you for the info, your reply confirmed my suspicion that this could take months so i will be trying to get some type of compensation and a car for the time being.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2024, 05:54 PM   #31
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the info, your reply confirmed my suspicion that this could take months so i will be trying to get some type of compensation and a car for the time being.
You’re welcome. Sorry man, I know it’s frustrating. Remember that these cars have hundreds of suppliers, so it’s not necessarily BMW’s fault. Aside from the stamping of the actual chassis & body panels, almost everything is provided from a third-party supplier. If you elect to continue moving forward with the vehicle, I would use it as leverage to get a discount.

Last year’s airbag recall was a mess because it impacted three years worth of X1’s and two years of iX’s. People started canceling their orders which caused all of those incredible lease incentives after it was over. Since this recall is on a much smaller scale, perhaps it won’t take as long.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:52 AM   #32
kennybb
Private
Rep
Drives: XM

I bought a new XM I’ve been waiting since January there no info on the problem like America has in England they have given me a curtasy car and said they will heavily compensate me when I collect my car mines just sat at the garage unregistered I reckon April before they wil have a fix they have to sort out 80 thousand vehicles
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:07 PM   #33
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybb View Post
I bought a new XM I’ve been waiting since January there no info on the problem like America has in England they have given me a curtasy car and said they will heavily compensate me when I collect my car mines just sat at the garage unregistered I reckon April before they wil have a fix they have to sort out 80 thousand vehicles
Hello buddy, mine is also staying at the preparation garage they have and I have not been given any timeframe for the repairs. What would they consider as heavily compensating you, as i am in the process of asking for some sort of compensation as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #34
kennybb
Private
Rep

Will not tell me that’s all they say but my idea of heavily compensate and there idea are probley massively a part they will probley try giving me a free coffee cup and key ring lol the garage called me today and said bmw uk called them said they will have a answer and a solution Monday but they said that 3 weeks ago and never happened
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:17 PM   #35
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Will not tell me that’s all they say but my idea of heavily compensate and there idea are probley massively a part they will probley try giving me a free coffee cup and key ring lol the garage called me today and said bmw uk called them said they will have a answer and a solution Monday but they said that 3 weeks ago and never happened
I would try to get a discount on the car for sure as it depreciates while i am waiting for it to be released to me. I have only put a deposit down and have been approved for the finance as well as i have signed the contracts for the finance, so i will be trying to get a courtesy car too as i have just sold my M4 as i was thinking i will be picking up the XM 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:20 PM   #36
kennybb
Private
Rep

I’m a bit up and down paid 141800 for mine but 6 months old 1000 miles there online at £115-120000 massive loss I defo want a couple grand and services paid for was promised car 8 weeks ago was only went to be in a curtasy car 2 days
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:25 PM   #37
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

I have got mine for 115k with 5k miles with all options except from the m drivers pack, so I am happy with the deal but the delay in collecting is really getting on my nerves and the thing that the recall was already on when i agreed on purchasing the vehicle on 9th of Feb and nobody told me about it was again frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:21 PM   #38
kennybb
Private
Rep

They don’t seem to tell any one just want your deposite and then tell you last min then play dumb with you they said it’s was put on the day I collect was a lie when it was on 3 weeks before is yours black I think I seen your car on auto trader hopefully will be sorted next week my whole buying experience has to been the best I’ve had 30 cars never had this in my life if it was not a business car I would of walked away but I don’t want a Range Rover and with me having a curtasy car I’ve put over 3500 miles on there car
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:34 PM   #39
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They don’t seem to tell any one just want your deposite and then tell you last min then play dumb with you they said it’s was put on the day I collect was a lie when it was on 3 weeks before is yours black I think I seen your car on auto trader hopefully will be sorted next week my whole buying experience has to been the best I’ve had 30 cars never had this in my life if it was not a business car I would of walked away but I don’t want a Range Rover and with me having a curtasy car I’ve put over 3500 miles on there car
You’ve mentioned your issue no less than two dozen dimes on this forum. The dealer is not owned or operated by BMW, as they just resell their cars and service them. They are not allowed to sell a car that has an active safety recall. It’s that simple. The dealership has very little control over what’s going on right now, but you should definitely use it as leverage to get a bigger discount.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2024, 01:49 PM   #40
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is cape york green with the blue and brown interior, i fell in love with the thing. It was on autotrader for 3/4 days and then they removed it. So it wasn’t advertised anywhere and when i went to test an M8 gran coupe i asked about the XM and they said they still have it but removed it only because they were thinking not to sell it but pass it to one of the staff there and i think that is the moment they were dishonest with me and they might have removed it because of the recall so they don’t have to deal with a complaining client, they still sold it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #41
kennybb
Private
Rep

Don’t stress I keep u informed what they let me no Monday pal hopefully should only be a couple weeks as your is waiting at the dealers lovely car be worth the wait
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 02:19 AM   #42
Viktor2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don’t stress I keep u informed what they let me no Monday pal hopefully should only be a couple weeks as your is waiting at the dealers lovely car be worth the wait
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #43
kennybb
Private
Rep

Bit of an update today from bmw car has to have a visual inspection then after that if needed parts will be ordered so might not need parts ? They said they keep me informed
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #44
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Bit of an update today from bmw car has to have a visual inspection then after that if needed parts will be ordered so might not need parts ? They said they keep me informed
Sounds like you’re getting close!
Appreciate 0