xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
Congrats!

I have been going through the same issues as you were...sadly I am still going through it! I think my area is just too far away from the tech fields, Administrative work is scarce upi here and I do NOT want to go back in to the wine industry. Keeping my head down and plugging away, your new position gives me hope! LoL
Thanks! And hang in there, man. Network as much as possible, and connect back to whomever you worked with in the past; who knows what they're up to, and one person will connect you to a million. This whole learning experience has really changed my mindset on just how powerful networking is and I'm leveraging it to the max.

On another note, I come to my fellow stranger-friends on a random forum for some more advice... This could also go in the "first-world-problems" thread, but...

So as you've seen above I've accepted another offer and am due to start this Monday. The V.P. in my current company threw a curveball at me yesterday (technically my last day there), saying they will really, REALLY miss me and if there is any chance to reconsider.

Here's where things get tricky. I'm again torn between head and heart. Long read warning, please bear with me.

It's obvious in my short 1.5 months there I've shown my potential, I love the kind of work they do, but there were a few too many red-flags that have contributed to my decision to switch companies:
  • There seems to not be enough work
  • There was a lot of downtime due to first bullet (I get bored easily)
  • Poor lack of communication (due to this being a secondary office)
  • One of the Principals there is a tough character (comes across as condescending)
  • The real kicker: they delayed payroll to entire staff

This last bullet is what triggered my decision. There was only 1 e-mail from the other Principal (not the condescending guy, actually this one is really nice), saying there would be a delay in payroll due to this and that, and yadda-yadda, don't matter, don't care; pay me.

According to other employees, this has happened before, and apparently will happen again next pay-period (which would be this Monday, the 1st). They claim to have filed for loans, and are constantly hounding delinquent clients, but bottom line is, I went a few weeks without pay, while still being expected to work. Not having reassurance of cashflow into my account is extremely concerning to say the least. According to the owners, this was a rare one-of-a-kind situation, and the next few months should be much smoother and more productive. They could just be saying that, but on my last day, another employee asked for a list of upcoming projects for scheduling reasons and they said they would compile a list...

However, this new company I'm going to couldn't be more different. The work will most likely not be in the graphics realm, which is what I really love, but it's an established company which will guarantee a regular salary with possibility of overtime (which is very unusual in my profession), so essentially this extremely long post could be summarized by two options:

Do I forget the cool work company because of their flaws and move onto a slightly less engaging but more secure position or do I reconsider staying and use this as leverage to "switch things up" within the first company, trying to improve their structure from within (running their Miami office, essentially)?

Still, the payment issue is not something I can disregard...
I feel this is selfish of me, but here's what I'm thinking: keep my word to company #2 and start this Monday, but still keep connections/bridges with comp.#1 just in case I don't quite enjoy it as much in comp.#2.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate your patience and time reading this. If you've been in a similar situation, or can think of some other angles I haven't yet considered or listed above, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks as always,
- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #24
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Run, don't walk. Avoid doing business with organizations that don't pay on time.

I have been in a similar situation, recently. Not the same as yours, but similar.

Don't do business with people that don't pay.
Appreciate 0