E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

05-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
breakaway7
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

bike hitch

Recently started cycling. Have M3 2008 Sedan. Dont want roof rack---ugly, nor trunk rack, hurts finish of car. Would like to put trailer hitch to mount a bike rack. Anybody have any ideas? Does not seem to be commercially available.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
jcreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3, 2016 X1

I had a friend who had one. The subframe and exhaust of the car basically prevents a normal install. Essentially, they put a big plate in the floor of the trunk and that was what they welded the receiver to. I thought like you until i saw this.

Now I have a roof rack. I put it on and off as needed. It takes 3min 45s to put on. I have a THULE, but I would recomment the BMW base (it's better than THULE's stamped steel mounts - the plastic coating wears through and then you have exposed metal that you can scratch the roof with while you are trying to get it into the mounting ports - like i did). Thule, yakima, or rockymountain trays will attach to BMW's base if you like those better (I like THULE's trays best).
Appreciate 0