home
Technical Sections Engine / Transmission / Exhaust / Drivetrain

01-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #1
Skylinehead
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

E46 M3 vibration under load

Hey guys, just bought an E46 and did a 18-hour trip even with some dragon runs with no problem, however on the last few hours on the highway car started developing a noticeable vibration under load, as soon as I let off the gas it goes away, car has new engine and trans mounts, new clutch and big three just done. I have not yet have time to put it on lift, just wanna put up a discussion here, what could be causing this? Diff? Axle?

Last edited by Skylinehead; 01-20-2023 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:02 AM   #2
Angry As Hell
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

The bushing that centers the prop shaft where it bolts up behind the gearbox on your rig has packed it up. There is a “nose” this bushing inserts into. The symptom you describe is a classic symptom of this bushing requiring replacement. The part sells for $10 bux on ECS.

Next, because of this untimely centering bushing failure, the center support bearing has likely been exercised to the point of being damaged. The thin rubber “webbing” bridging the inner hoop to the outer bracket, it does not take much to damage it. Unfortunately, this is $133 bux. Get it, do not skimp on this. Lastly, when you remove the two-piece driveshaft, the location where the male splined end is in the female part, on the outer portion of the driveshaft, YOU MUST use soapstone or say a white-out pen to mark its original join-up location, because the driveshaft is balanced. When putting the driveshaft back together, because the center support bearing install requires this, you MUST reinstall the halves with the mating mark exactly how it was when you disassembled it. I’m not going to kid you, doing this job on your back sliding back and forth on cardboard is going to blow, and if you get weird about having a 3500 pound car inches away from your grill like me, you’ll quickly catch my drift. Good luck, hope his helps.

BMW Part #26117526611

Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...CABEgJnovD_BwE

Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...CABEgJTAvD_BwE

Last edited by Angry As Hell; 01-31-2023 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: The bane of my existence- auto spell.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
Skylinehead
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry As Hell View Post
The bushing that centers the prop shaft where it bolts up behind the gearbox on your rig has packed it up. There is a “nose” this bushing inserts into. The symptom you describe is a classic symptom of this bushing requiring replacement. The part sells for $10 bux on ECS.

Next, because of this untimely centering bushing failure, the center support bearing has likely been exercised to the point of being damaged. The thin rubber “webbing” bridging the inner hoop to the outer bracket, it does not take much to damage it. Unfortunately, this is $133 bux. Get it, do not skimp on this. Lastly, when you remove the two-piece driveshaft, the location where the male splined end is in the female part, on the outer portion of the driveshaft, YOU MUST use soapstone or say a white-out pen to mark its original join-up location, because the driveshaft is balanced. When putting the driveshaft back together, because the center support bearing install requires this, you MUST reinstall the halves with the mating mark exactly how it was when you disassembled it. I’m not going to kid you, doing this job on your back sliding back and forth on cardboard is going to blow, and if you get weird about having a 3500 pound car inches away from your grill like me, you’ll quickly catch my drift. Good luck, hope his helps.

BMW Part #26117526611

Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...CABEgJnovD_BwE

Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...CABEgJTAvD_BwE
Thank you very much for the very detailed reply, I will get those done when I have time.
Appreciate 0