home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
toolfan
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i sedan

Gumball 3000

This is my new goal in life. I want to get an M5 and do the Gumball 3000. It looks like so much fun and it has to be a great rush racing through Europe and then ending at the Playboy mansion.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
toolfan
Banned
Rep

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=gumball+3000
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

+1

same here, that is one of my goals as well. be wealthy enough to purchase a supercar and enter the gumball rally.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
The entrance fee as far as I know is 10's of thousands if not more. You need a nice, fast car. Need to be able to get parts and stuff to each checkpoint (A lot of the people get their parts/tires air lifted to each checkpoint or by private jet). It's basically ridiculously expensive. But I also wish I can someday join.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Deep
The entrance fee as far as I know is 10's of thousands if not more. You need a nice, fast car. Need to be able to get parts and stuff to each checkpoint (A lot of the people get their parts/tires air lifted to each checkpoint or by private jet). It's basically ridiculously expensive. But I also wish I can someday join.
the entrance fee for next year's is about $40-$50k per main driver, and an additional $20k per additional passenger. Some entrants get their rides sponsored, and doesn't necessarily have to be a nice, nor fast car. One year a group entered with a trailer van that they got sponsored. And one of the past recent years, the "winners" were a pair that actually flew to the finish line, because they were arrested for speeding, and actually flew to the finish line in their prison garb.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
yeah, between the cost of the car, the parts, entrance fee, passenger fee, etc... it's going to be extremely expensive. I'd still love to do it if I have that kind of money.
I don't know if I'd want to put a supercar through that kind of abuse. Why not go with something like a modded STI? Though at the same time, what's the point in owning a car if you don't drive it. If I can afford a Lambo; you can bet I'm driving it every day.
      12-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
TommyBahama
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax
yeah, between the cost of the car, the parts, entrance fee, passenger fee, etc... it's going to be extremely expensive. I'd still love to do it if I have that kind of money.
I don't know if I'd want to put a supercar through that kind of abuse. Why not go with something like a modded STI? Though at the same time, what's the point in owning a car if you don't drive it. If I can afford a Lambo; you can bet I'm driving it every day.
inono once you get to the point where you can afford a Lambo or Ferrari some of its exotic appeal goes away, after a while the attention gets to you (unless you have a donald trump size ego). the only person i know who owns a ferrari is my aunt's bro, has owned many f-cars (even an F50) he doesnt use them as daily drivers because he finds it takes away the special nature of the car and for a man worth a couple hundred million the thrill of driving a car that cost 250k isnt there after more than 2 decades of ferrari ownership.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
toolfan
Banned
Rep

Its all about the experience. Its a party every night and the whole point is to go fast and have fun. When you have millions of dollars, its just like a cruise, but on land!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
This is my new goal in life. I want to get an M5 and do the Gumball 3000. It looks like so much fun and it has to be a great rush racing through Europe and then ending at the Playboy mansion.

My goal is to own the Playboy mansion.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Its all about the experience. Its a party every night and the whole point is to go fast and have fun. When you have millions of dollars, its just like a cruise, but on land!
Two of my dad's buddies have cigarette boats and belong to a group that does what they call "poker runs". Basically a group of guys get together a few times throughout the year (all over the U.S.) and race their boats, then spend the night drinking and playing poker.

The more money you have, the more expensive your ways of having fun are.