BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

It depends on where you live and the actual dynamics you encounter.

Here, being able to start moving can be impossible with RWD, next to impossible with FWD at times. It's not snow, it's impacted ice, built up ice, uneven ice surfaces, uphill ice, etc. And it's hard to appreciate AWD until that time in the intersection when a vehicle was spinning towards me (against the signals) and I had to floor it to clear and not get T-boned while making a turn, not to mention the other stuff.

A lot of the time, people just use snow-tires to drive on pavement that is warmed by the sun, sometimes a bit of snow, but the plow comes and the snow doesn't build up into ice, because the sun actually comes out there. The road will often be well above freezing due to being dark in color and absorbing the light. The function of the snow-tires for them is maintaining grippy rubber at colder temps...not so much for driving on snow and ice.

There's always one person that claims they drive RWD all winter on frozen lakes with racing slicks and it's "just fine". AWD is sold as a gimmick and it is not needed a lot of the time...but then again, people are lazy and they don't put on proper snow tires either. AWD and 4WD are useful at times though and in some places, they do make a lot of sense.
      12-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
All this talk about AWD and traction to get you going. No thought around once you get going, you also have to stop at some point. AWD will do squat if your tires can't produce enough friction/traction to haul your tank to a stop.
Would love to see some of the talkers here get started in an uphill intersection on impacted ice.
      12-17-2020, 11:43 PM   #25
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
AWD is the single biggest piece f marketing fluff ever invented in the automotive world. It helps but it is not a miracle worker. It doesn't help you brake either
Well, actually, it does. The engine braking that is distributed more evenly is going to have less of a chance of breaking you loose, so when downshifting or letting off the gas, vs. doing the same thing with 2wd that may start you sliding. When traction is scarce, things like this start to matter more. It's not a huge effect, but it's there.
      12-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #26
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I’ve had 2 Volvo’s with AWD and my current ml320 cdi with AWD.
Absolute tanks in snow, Ice etc...and I love the traction.
I also like stopping. I have winter tires and never worry.

Current f10 m5 is a boatload of torque, and I can easily see why they went AWD with the current model, because you can’t put the power down.

This argument about RWD is good enough, is just the chest pounding for the pundits about how great their driving skills are...

I parked the M5 and bought a golf city with snows...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #27
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

AWD with snow tires is the best option but virtually everyone around here instead goes with AWD and All Seasons. I prefer Winter tires and RWD, mainly because of the negatives of the AWD system and how little it is really used throughout the year. I guess maximum acceleration in bad weather, not something that I care much about. I also live in a city, not Alaska, the Rocky Mountains or the frozen tundra of N. Dakota. Reality is a FWD with All Seasons works pretty well almost all of the time in the city I live in or staying on the major highways, another vehicle that I am not a huge fan of but by far the most practical.

I can never get random people to buy into the idea that my RWD with Winter tires will stop far better than their AWD with All Seasons in the snow/ice. Seems like I am suddenly speaking another language.
      12-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, actually, it does. The engine braking that is distributed more evenly is going to have less of a chance of breaking you loose, so when downshifting or letting off the gas, vs. doing the same thing with 2wd that may start you sliding. When traction is scarce, things like this start to matter more. It's not a huge effect, but it's there.
I am not saying AWD does absolutely nothing but for the vast majority of urban to semi urban drivers, a set of winters will do a far better job.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #29
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

No argument that RWD is the worst of the 3 in the snow all things being equal. It's like that playful dog that's always happy to see you no matter what mood you're in. Sometimes you just want a quiet brainless drive to work in the morning. Maybe I should stop turning off traction control all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #30
sycamore07
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i

What snow tires did you install? I'm currently looking for winter tires at 4WheelOnline. I've looking forward to trying out a dedicated set instead of using my all-season tires again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #31
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore07 View Post
What snow tires did you install? I'm currently looking for winter tires at 4WheelOnline. I've looking forward to trying out a dedicated set instead of using my all-season tires again.
Hopefully not for FL.

Blizzaks are still king.
      12-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #32
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I still think Michelin XIce is the better tyre in most urban, ploughed environments. It's not quite as good as the Blizzack in really nasty weather but it is close enough and it wears way slower, is far less noisy and feels better on dry roads than the Bridgestone.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #33
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Winter tires should be mandatory, without them you don't have control over your car, braking, changing lanes etc, regardless if your car is rwd, fwd or 4wd.
Best winter tire is Nokian hakapelita, you have control even on the ice. Depends on your climate area, they offer 6 types of winter tires.
      12-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Winter tires should be mandatory, without them you don't have control over your car, braking, changing lanes etc, regardless if your car is rwd, fwd or 4wd.
Best winter tire is Nokian hakapelita, you have control even on the ice. Depends on your climate area, they offer 6 types of winter tires.
lol, that's stretching it. This isn't magic, it's high silica content and tread design with siping.

Before you go off, I've owned the Hakas.

Non-studded winter tires have been tested against studded tires. The studded stop in less than half the distance. Most of the test was done on snow, not ice. The difference stopping and starting on ice is still dramatic. AWD makes a huge difference starting on ice with all tires. Studs make a huge difference with control, stopping, starting on ice.

The claim that "you even have control on ice" is a bit ridiculous. All of the serious non-studded winter tires do "ok" in some conditions on ice, they'll stop if you feather the brakes early on, you might get started depending on the slope and your traction control/weight bias, but the Hakas aren't dramatically different than the other top-tier non-studded tires.
      12-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #35
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore07 View Post
Performance tires such as Michelin Alpin/Perelli Sotozero are good for light snow and dry roads. They provide better handling than Michelin X-ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks which are better for deep snow while sacrificing dry handling and noise. If you drive in the Southeast US, definitely go with winter performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #36
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Performance tires such as Michelin Alpin/Perelli Sotozero are good for light snow and dry roads. They provide better handling than Michelin X-ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks which are better for deep snow while sacrificing dry handling and noise. If you drive in the Southeast US, definitely go with winter performance tires.
No they're shit, absolute shit. Tried them, just not good enough with even moderate snow accumulation and god help you on ice. Waste of money IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #37
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
No they're shit, absolute shit. Tried them, just not good enough with even moderate snow accumulation and god help you on ice. Waste of money IMHO.
I can't speak to the Alpine, but I've found the Sottozero 3 to be a wonderful winter tire for Colorado where we certainly get moderate snow accumulation and ice.

Every bit as good as the Blizzaks I had previously (although they were a generation older).
      12-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #38
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
+1

Just mounted up a new set of the R3s. They're quieter than the R2s at freeway speeds and don't feel quite as squishy. Haven't had any snow to play in them with, unfortunately.
      12-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #39
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
The Perelli's? Read my original post as proof they are quite capable (for now with almost all tread remaining) in packed snow. On ice, I've yet to try but even the best winter tire is over-matched. That said, if Alpin/x-ice/Blizzaks were available in my size, I would've opted for either of those.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #40
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
What's the ideal tire choice for someone in Montreal isn't necessarily ideal for someone in Maryland, or Mississippi. There's countless factors at play including driver skill and usage pattern. Sadly people can't seem to look past themselves and consider other lifestyles might dictate a different solution, so I'll just leave my contribution here at that.