triple7vsn
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330

Garage List
2021 bmw 330  [9.50]
Import questions

Hi was wondering if anyone has recently experienced on purchasing a car from Canada and importing to states(NY), if so what was your route on accomplishing this task

The vehicle in question is a f31 diesel wagon year of production is 2018 are these model fairly easy to import? Is it even worth the time or money I noticed a tax in Canada that is high 13% HST is refundable in any way thanks for the help and tips…..

have a great day
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:08 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple7vsn View Post
Hi was wondering if anyone has recently experienced on purchasing a car from Canada and importing to states(NY), if so what was your route on accomplishing this task

The vehicle in question is a f31 diesel wagon year of production is 2018 are these model fairly easy to import? Is it even worth the time or money I noticed a tax in Canada that is high 13% HST is refundable in any way thanks for the help and tips…..

have a great day
Start here:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:22 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You wouldn't pay the HST I believe. At the exchange rate right now you'd be nuts not to buy from here. It's dead easy or if reluctant, use a broker who looks after everything.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:39 AM   #4
triple7vsn
Registered
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2021 bmw 330  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You wouldn't pay the HST I believe. At the exchange rate right now you'd be nuts not to buy from here. It's dead easy or if reluctant, use a broker who looks after everything.
It seems I have too as every dealership in Ontario suggested just one of them mentioned about claiming on my taxes but can’t find detail information regarding that now if it’s private sale I believe I don’t have too, from what I was told.
Definitely the exchange rate is on my side but those taxes brings it back up or more then prices out here in states. Thanks for reply
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:05 PM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

dealers are idiots, go see a broker who do this all day, every day. Dealers in the US are buying CDN cars right now, in droves.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 04:12 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I'm curious why the interest in a diesel F31 (vs US non-diesel F31)?
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:23 PM   #7
triple7vsn
Registered
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2021 bmw 330  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm curious why the interest in a diesel F31 (vs US non-diesel F31)?
what I’m looking for is Msport chassis with track and handling package , it seem in U.S. the wagon market in those time was not wanted as much as a SUV per se,
so any well option built wagon are rare and it showing by how few are available to buy!

by accident I discovered a wagon but in Canada which lead me to search more and notice there are more wagons available then USA and mostly all are the Msport version, still the track and handling package is rare but I’m finding well built wagon(estates as they say) and notice a good spec’d 328d which I don’t mind since since I’m on the road a lot…..
Appreciate 0