11-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #67
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
I had no idea about this review. I swear!

Here is another one for you:

Car&Driver

1/4 mile 13.4 sec @ 106 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ffs-page3.html

S5
1/4 mile 13.4 @ 105 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...oad-page3.html

Once again the 335 has a higher trap speed, so its faster...

But then you already knew about this review and that is why you forgot to include it in you comments no doubt.
In fairness I didn't know of that one, but then again I am not American and live thousands of miles away. I was only posting US reviews to keep it relevant to you as European tests are placing the S5 as much as 1 second quicker to 200km/h (125mph), admitted not all the reviews but a few.

Might be the difference in surface being used during the test, I don't know but these tests are more relevant to me as are the US ones to you.

Either way it is something we will not agree on.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #68
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Sport-Auto is supposed to test the S5 around Nurburing, next issue. I'm curious to see how the S5 will perform.
      11-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Hi, I drive an Audi S5. They have complimentary SPA packages while you own the S5 with the full Aloe treatment.

LMAO!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #70
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sport-Auto is supposed to test the S5 around Nurburing, next issue. I'm curious to see how the S5 will perform.
What did they get with the 335i, was it not 8:25. That's a good time though to be fair the S5 should better that if the old S4 Avant is anything to go by, it did it in 8:29 and weights 150kgs more than the S5 and has 10 horses less, though weight balance is roughly the same due to the fact it's an estate.

I would be expecting something in the regions of 8:20 (E46 M3 figures) as they are roughly equal on power to weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #71
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
What did they get with the 335i, was it not 8:25. That's a good time though to be fair the S5 should better that if the old S4 Avant is anything to go by, it did it in 8:29 and weights 150kgs more than the S5 and has 10 horses less, though weight balance is roughly the same due to the fact it's an estate.

I would be expecting something in the regions of 8:20 (E46 M3 figures) as they are roughly equal on power to weight.
It's hard to judge power to weight ratio is this case, because AWD cars have higher drivetrain losses than RWD cars.

E46 M3 ran 8:22 around the Ring (Sport-Auto)
335i ran 8:26 around the Ring (Sport-Auto) (this is pretty good for a 1WD car without LSD)

I predict around 8:25 for the S5
      11-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #72
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I predict around 8:25 for the S5
It's an improvement over the old car but less than I would have hoped, you may be right but then again I never said the S5's strengths lay on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #73
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Thanks to this thread, I now realize why so many people hate BMW drivers.

Way to represent....jackasses.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #74
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

i got v-tec yo!
      11-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #75
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
OK. If you say so....I will leave this forum.

But only if you have something intelligent to say.
How ironic.... you talking about intelligent things to say
      11-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #76
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
from Edmunds:

335i
1/4 mile 13.3 @ 105.9 mph

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1

S5
1/4 mile 13.3 @ 104.6 mph

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...4/pageNumber=1

It looks like the 335 is actually a little faster.
JEEZ! Look at those numbers! That S5 is damn slow....way to make a horrible car Audi
      11-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #77
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan335 View Post
JEEZ! Look at those numbers! That S5 is damn slow....way to make a horrible car Audi
It is slow for a 60k car with AWD and 360 hp.

But what would you know about slow, Mr. 330i?
      11-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #78
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm sorry, you were right all along. I wish I was as cool as you with your 335.

If you will excuse me I am going to go because my car is so slow.
      11-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #79
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
In fairness I didn't know of that one, but then again I am not American and live thousands of miles away. I was only posting US reviews to keep it relevant to you as European tests are placing the S5 as much as 1 second quicker to 200km/h (125mph), admitted not all the reviews but a few.

Might be the difference in surface being used during the test, I don't know but these tests are more relevant to me as are the US ones to you.

Either way it is something we will not agree on.
Question is, "how often do you get up to 200km/h?" It's like having an M5..... I'll walk you if I'm driving on an empty airfield with no end in sight, but I'll lose at every stop light because I ain't got no TQ down low......
      11-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #80
///AFRO
Stage 1 Juice Box - Boosted'
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 07 AW E92-335i TT

Why are you guys bashing on Audi? You guys are retarted.

2007 335i -Coupe Alpine White
Mods: JB1 | Exposed Intercooler | Black Grills/Emblems | Golf-Tee Mod | Reflectors | 35% Tints
Next: Aero-Lip | H&R Race Srings | Dual Cone Intake | Straight-Pipes
Soon: 2006 ///M3 Coupe Imola Red - [CSL Project]
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #81
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

You really just can't help but laugh.

For years, bmw's were ridiculously underpowered and slow. So, bmw fanatics used the "take it to the twisties argument." Their interiors were always stark and technologically inferior to their japanese and other german counterparts. The fanatics chalked it up to the interior being "driver oriented." But now, that bmw makes a few cars that are powerful, everyone is paying attention to 1/4 mile times and the like.

So, in being devils advocate, I propose the following logic.

An EVO can match/defeat a 335i in ANY performance comparison even though its 10 grand less but we discount it because A) It's rice, B) It's cheap inside, C) it's not a good DD.

A C6 can defeat/destroy a 335i in ANY performance comparison even though its 10 grand less but we discount it because A) It's american, B) It's cheap inside, C) it's not a good DD.

Well, a 335i can match/defeat a S5 in ANY performance comparison even though it's 5 grand less, but audi fans will discount it because A) the 335i is exceedingly plain looking when compared to the S5, B) MMI>Idrive, Audi Materials > BMW materials, Audi interior design > BMW interior design, C) 3's are too common and/or too primmadonna.

So here, bmw faithful, welcome to getting a taste of your own medicine.

Now, I have a 530i, and I completely respect those of you who buy non N54 3's so don't let this come across as arrogance (because my E39 530i is slow as ass), but the bmw faithful have made a history of excusing their pathetic straight line performance and the typical lack of power that is evident when you compare the bmw numbers to cars in its price segment.

The E46 330 defeated the G35 in mag comparos even though it was way out matched powerwise. So how did it win? Chalk it up to finesse and bmw driving dynamics.

2 years ago, before the N54 came out, you had E90 325 and 330i drivers completely dismissing TLs and G35s that could consistently match or surpass them in the 1/4, the 0-60, the 0-100, and on the dyno with ease and NO one paid attention. Mainly on the grounds that there was something special about the BMW that you couldn't get anywhere else (although, I've said many times that the E9x provides little of that same "special bmw" feel that you feel in older bmws.

Fast foward to 07.. bmw's don't drive like they used to. Make no doubt about that. So if an S5 can match the performance of a 335i, but provide a better experience inside and be more visually appealing, would that not make it the superior car? Price has NEVER played a role in a bmw argument for bmw fans.

So before you guys run off posting 1/4 times, remember that you're argument against japanese cars and the folks over at AMG has always been that a car isn't defined by numbers. Porsche's told that story time and time again.

So excuse audi fans for liking audi's latest creation for what it is. Not a track superstar, not the "ultimate driving machine" that bmw has led you to believe the 3er is, but a well-balanced, better appointed automobile.

I've never believed Audi was trying to compete with BMW in an all-out performance fashion. The RS4 is an exception, and when it first came out, it was better than its rivals. Yes, the M5board vids show the RS4 losing to pretty much everything, but it was racing M5s and M6s that it wasn't designed to compete against (isn't there a Turboed RS6 coming out for that). It was racing an M3 that was designed to beat it (and didn't that M3 lose to a tuned 3 series?). Take the race to the wet? It's a different story. Which interior would I rather be sitting in? I'll take the one with the fancy recaro seats, the leather dash, the silver RS4 badge on the dash, and the shift knob that seemed to be designed to fit in my hand. The attention to detail on the inside of the RS4 makes it a fantastic place to find yourself, even if you're seeing other cars pass you by.

The fact of the matter is that there's always someone out there better than you, but everyone in the game has something to offer. An M6 can do most of the things a 997 C2S can do, and could probably beat it in any straight line competition, but I know which car I would take, and I bet most of you would agree (especially judging from the BMW vs. Porsche thread). The M6 would probably show the CL63 a lesson on the track, but which one did a stunning majority of us say we would pick given the choice?

It's time to accept the fact that there are more reasons to buying a car than performance. It's a really fantastic thing to have in a car if thats what interests you, but if it meant as much to the bmw faithful as they make it seem in this argument, the bmw faithful would be outside protesting the soft turn BMW has taken, and/or driving elises, evos, m-coupes/roadsters instead.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #82
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
You really just can't help but laugh.

For years, bmw's were ridiculously underpowered and slow. So, bmw fanatics used the "take it to the twisties argument." Their interiors were always stark and technologically inferior to their japanese and other german counterparts. The fanatics chalked it up to the interior being "driver oriented." But now, that bmw makes a few cars that are powerful, everyone is paying attention to 1/4 mile times and the like.

So, in being devils advocate, I propose the following logic.

An EVO can match/defeat a 335i in ANY performance comparison even though its 10 grand less but we discount it because A) It's rice, B) It's cheap inside, C) it's not a good DD.

A C6 can defeat/destroy a 335i in ANY performance comparison even though its 10 grand less but we discount it because A) It's american, B) It's cheap inside, C) it's not a good DD.

Well, a 335i can match/defeat a S5 in ANY performance comparison even though it's 5 grand less, but audi fans will discount it because A) the 335i is exceedingly plain looking when compared to the S5, B) MMI>Idrive, Audi Materials > BMW materials, Audi interior design > BMW interior design, C) 3's are too common and/or too primmadonna.

So here, bmw faithful, welcome to getting a taste of your own medicine.

Now, I have a 530i, and I completely respect those of you who buy non N54 3's so don't let this come across as arrogance (because my E39 530i is slow as ass), but the bmw faithful have made a history of excusing their pathetic straight line performance and the typical lack of power that is evident when you compare the bmw numbers to cars in its price segment.

The E46 330 defeated the G35 in mag comparos even though it was way out matched powerwise. So how did it win? Chalk it up to finesse and bmw driving dynamics.

2 years ago, before the N54 came out, you had E90 325 and 330i drivers completely dismissing TLs and G35s that could consistently match or surpass them in the 1/4, the 0-60, the 0-100, and on the dyno with ease and NO one paid attention. Mainly on the grounds that there was something special about the BMW that you couldn't get anywhere else (although, I've said many times that the E9x provides little of that same "special bmw" feel that you feel in older bmws.

Fast foward to 07.. bmw's don't drive like they used to. Make no doubt about that. So if an S5 can match the performance of a 335i, but provide a better experience inside and be more visually appealing, would that not make it the superior car? Price has NEVER played a role in a bmw argument for bmw fans.

So before you guys run off posting 1/4 times, remember that you're argument against japanese cars and the folks over at AMG has always been that a car isn't defined by numbers. Porsche's told that story time and time again.

So excuse audi fans for liking audi's latest creation for what it is. Not a track superstar, not the "ultimate driving machine" that bmw has led you to believe the 3er is, but a well-balanced, better appointed automobile.

I've never believed Audi was trying to compete with BMW in an all-out performance fashion. The RS4 is an exception, and when it first came out, it was better than its rivals. Yes, the M5board vids show the RS4 losing to pretty much everything, but it was racing M5s and M6s that it wasn't designed to compete against (isn't there a Turboed RS6 coming out for that). It was racing an M3 that was designed to beat it (and didn't that M3 lose to a tuned 3 series?). Take the race to the wet? It's a different story. Which interior would I rather be sitting in? I'll take the one with the fancy recaro seats, the leather dash, the silver RS4 badge on the dash, and the shift knob that seemed to be designed to fit in my hand. The attention to detail on the inside of the RS4 makes it a fantastic place to find yourself, even if you're seeing other cars pass you by.

The fact of the matter is that there's always someone out there better than you, but everyone in the game has something to offer. An M6 can do most of the things a 997 C2S can do, and could probably beat it in any straight line competition, but I know which car I would take, and I bet most of you would agree (especially judging from the BMW vs. Porsche thread). The M6 would probably show the CL63 a lesson on the track, but which one did a stunning majority of us say we would pick given the choice?

It's time to accept the fact that there are more reasons to buying a car than performance. It's a really fantastic thing to have in a car if thats what interests you, but if it meant as much to the bmw faithful as they make it seem in this argument, the bmw faithful would be outside protesting the soft turn BMW has taken, and/or driving elises, evos, m-coupes/roadsters instead.
The best post in this thread, nicely worded!
      11-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #83
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Thanks to this thread, I now realize why so many people hate BMW drivers.

Way to represent....jackasses.

Cool. Thanks! Stop the self-hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daheechang View Post
+1

Also, i do not think Audi S5 or any Audi is a "metrosexual" car at all. I very much respect the RS and S lines and I'm aware of numerous members on this forum who own such cars.

The RS line is like a Metrosexual who works out at a gym but at the end of the day, still throws like a girl.

Attached Images

11-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #84
NaTuReB0Y