BMW E46 M3 - Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-27-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

car covered with salt after road trip, do I wash now or wait until heavy rain ends?

I went on a road trip earlier this week. roughly 1200 miles to the DC, NY and PA. my car did not actually experience snow because the snow had ended the day before I got to those areas. However, as the snow on the roads melted, the water and sale mixed together and my car got splashed with a lot of that liquid. When it dried up, my car was covered in white salty stuff.

my area never got any snow, so no salt or anything like that on the roads. It has been been getting a lot of HEAVY rain since yesterday. Rain is expected to last until Monday. I deliberately went out driving in the heavy rain because I figured it would wash off some of that salt. Is this a stupid idea? I don't really have time to give the car a good washing until Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:32 PM   #2
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
I generally don't wash until the roads are dry because the water on the road is a salt solution. I would compromise if the roads didn't dry out but in the area you and I are in that not likely. My ultimate protection for my M4CS is to leave it in the garage till spring.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 02:38 PM   #3
wb8164
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG 230i

I think driving in the rain like you did would help rinse the salt from the undercarriage.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2024, 04:07 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
I went on a road trip earlier this week. roughly 1200 miles to the DC, NY and PA. my car did not actually experience snow because the snow had ended the day before I got to those areas. However, as the snow on the roads melted, the water and sale mixed together and my car got splashed with a lot of that liquid. When it dried up, my car was covered in white salty stuff.

my area never got any snow, so no salt or anything like that on the roads. It has been been getting a lot of HEAVY rain since yesterday. Rain is expected to last until Monday. I deliberately went out driving in the heavy rain because I figured it would wash off some of that salt. Is this a stupid idea? I don't really have time to give the car a good washing until Wednesday.
Don’t get too stressed. Driving in the rain will wash some off, but salt is pretty sticky. Even if you wait a month for a really thorough cleaning it’s not really going to do any kind of meaningful harm to the painted surfaces or unpainted surfaces. You have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8164 View Post
I think driving in the rain like you did would help rinse the salt from the undercarriage.
Agreed. It will help to an extent.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I generally don't wash until the roads are dry because the water on the road is a salt solution. I would compromise if the roads didn't dry out but in the area you and I are in that not likely. My ultimate protection for my M4CS is to leave it in the garage till spring.
I have an uncle who does NOT drive when it rains because he wants his fancy Mercedes to be nice and dry inside his climate-controlled garage. If there's any hint of rain or snow, he takes uber or taxi.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:21 PM   #6
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

If it's dirty enough to where I feel the need to washing, I wash it. That much less grime to pile on top of what will end up getting onto the car despite incoming weather.
Appreciate 2
spazzz126.50
      01-28-2024, 07:57 AM   #7
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

In my area I could get a decent brushless car wash for $10-12, and it will make the car look so much better than being covered with salt. Why would you make this a big decision when it’s only about $10 and requires no physical work on your part?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #8
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
In salt country this is the way to go. It's not the top of the car I worry about.

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 01-28-2024 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

I recently used Bilt Hamber Touchless wash to remove salt and grime. The touchless foam did a great job with remove surface salt and a good amount grime. NOT all of it but a good amount. You definately need to do a contact wash but, it’s great for the winter time. Here’s a picture of the foam removing the surface contaminants. I posted more pics on another thread in this sub section.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2