BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-06-2021, 03:22 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

The all-new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer

The new 2er Active Tourer has been announced.

Quote:
Spatial functionality, hallmark BMW driving pleasure and an extremely progressive approach mark out the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. The second generation of the sporty all-rounder for the premium compact segment exudes visual dynamism and imposing presence through BMW’s clear design language. Its fundamentally redesigned interior combines a variety of usage possibilities with modern geometry and a BMW Curved Display in the style of the BMW iX. Added to which, the new 2 Series Active Tourer leads the way when it comes to powertrain, driver assistance, control/operation and connectivity innovations.

Its uncomplicated functionality, progressive character profile and range of standard equipment – which comfortably exceeds that of the predecessor model and stands out against its rivals – make the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer a particularly attractive proposition for active, lifestyle-oriented target groups. Four model variants with front-wheel drive and outputs ranging from 100 kW/136 hp to 160 kW/218 hp will be available at launch in February 2022. The new model will be built at BMW Group Plant Leipzig and its vehicle architecture is designed to accommodate both combustion engines and electrified drive systems. Two plug-in hybrid models will be added to the line-up a few months after launch.

Design: modern crossover character, striking front end, dynamically stretched proportions.

The exterior design of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer brings lifestyle attributes and aesthetic sophistication together into a modern crossover character profile. The clean, reduced surface treatment exudes sporting prowess and assured presence. At the front end of the car, these qualities are expressed most prominently by the striking BMW kidney grille, with its increased dimensions, and the slim contours of the headlights. The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer comes as standard with full-LED headlights. Adaptive LED Headlights with cornering light function, non-dazzling matrix high beam, urban lights, a motorway beam pattern and bad weather light are on the options list.

Much more heavily raked A-pillars compared to the predecessor model, a stretched side window graphic, flush-fitting door handles and slim C-pillars also play their part in the new car’s dynamic silhouette. The newly designed door shoulders around the A-pillars create much improved all-round visibility. With its broad shoulders and slim LED light units, the rear of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer cuts a particularly muscular figure. The exhaust tailpipes are integrated into the rear apron out of sight on all model variants.

Depending on the model variant, 16-inch or 17-inch light-alloy wheels are fitted as standard. Light-alloy wheels up to 19 inches in size are available as an option. The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer can also be ordered in Luxury Line trim or with an M Sport package as alternatives to basic specification. Two non-metallic and nine metallic paint finishes are available for the exterior.

Progressive premium ambience and wide-ranging interior functionality.

The size and versatility of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer’s interior are emphasised by the fundamental redesign introduced by the second-generation car. The cabin geometry and a host of details take their cues from the interior concept of the BMW iX technology flagship. This creates a progressive premium ambience, the key features of which include the slim instrument panel, the BMW Curved Display, the “floating” armrest with integrated control panel and an across-the-board reduction in the number of physical control elements.

The space underneath the armrest is used as a storage compartment, while the area in front of it houses generously sized cup holders and a newly designed smartphone slot. The phone remains visible to the driver and front passenger here and can be wirelessly charged as an option.

The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer offers occupants in its five seats noticeably better long-distance comfort that of its predecessor. The newly developed, multi-adjustable seats can also be ordered in optional Sensatec perforated or Vernasca leather. Also on the options list are sport seats with prominent bolsters and shoulder areas, electric seat adjustment (including memory function), lumbar support and a massage function. Acoustic comfort and occupant protection have been stepped up too. Indeed, a new interaction airbag between the driver and front passenger is added to the integrated passive safety concept.

An array of storage areas and the multi-adjustable rear seats also contribute to the car’s uncomplicated functionality in everyday use and on longer tips away. With the rear backrests in their cargo position, boot capacity increases by as much as 90 litres. The rear seats can also slide forwards by up to 13 centimetres. This and the 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear seat backrests present customers with a load compartment that can be used for a multitude of purposes. Boot capacity is 470 –1,455 litres in the BMW 218i Active Tourer and BMW 218d Active Tourer and 415 – 1,405 litres in the BMW 220i Active Tourer and BMW 223i Active Tourer. Automatic tailgate operation comes as standard, while an electrically operated trailer tow hitch can be ordered as an option.

Two-zone automatic climate control, sports steering wheel and BMW Maps as standard.

The progressive premium character of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is also underscored by its extensive standard specification. Fitted as standard alongside the BMW Maps navigation system are four USB-C ports and a 12V power socket in both the centre console and the boot, intelligent two-zone automatic climate control, a Sport leather steering wheel, a rain sensor with windscreen wiper control and automatic headlight activation, a much larger number of driver assistance systems compared with the predecessor model, and Park Assist with Reversing Assist Camera.

Newly structured equipment packages enable extremely specific individualisation of the car. Customers can order high-quality interior trim strips, as well as Sensatec surfaces for the instrument panel and front door shoulders with eye-catching contrast stitching. Other contributors to the premium feel include a mirror package, ambient lighting, a panoramic glass sunroof and a Harman Kardon Sound System.

BMW 2 Series Active Tourer: setting the pace in innovative powertrain technology.

The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is also at the vanguard of powertrain technology. The extensively updated combustion engines increase driving pleasure while reducing fuel consumption and emissions, and the latest generation of the seven-speed Steptronic dual-clutch transmission – now standard for all model variants – is likewise extremely efficient. A new version of 48V mild hybrid technology is making its debut in the BMW 223i Active Tourer (fuel consumption: 6.6 – 6.0 litres/100 km [42.8 – 47.1 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 149 – 137 g/km in the WLTP test cycle) and BMW 220i Active Tourer (fuel consumption: 6.5 – 5.9 litres/100 km [43.5 – 47.9 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 148 – 133 g/km in the WLTP test cycle). The electric motor integrated into the automatic transmission supplements the combustion engine with a power boost now increased to 14 kW/19 hp.

The new BMW 223i Active Tourer has an output of 160 kW/218 hp (generated jointly by the 150 kW/204 hp combustion engine and 14 kW/19 hp electric drive system), and the BMW 220i Active Tourer develops 125 kW/170 hp (generated jointly by the 115 kW/156 hp combustion engine and the 14 kW/19 hp electric drive system). Also available from launch is the 100 kW/136 hp BMW 218i Active Tourer (fuel consumption: 6.8 – 6.2 litres/100 km [41.5 – 45.6 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 154 – 140 g/km in the WLTP test cycle).

All the petrol engines feature a new combustion process and a dual injection system. The diesel engine powering the new BMW 218d Active Tourer (fuel consumption: 5.3 – 4.8 litres/100 km [53.3 – 58.9 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 138 – 125 g/km in the WLTP test cycle) employs low-friction pistons and two-stage turbocharging with increased efficiency. Maximum output is 110 kW/150 hp.

The line-up will expand further in summer 2022 with the addition of two plug-in hybrid models. These will feature fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology for the first time, enhancing dynamism and giving them a significantly longer electric range.

Sportiness and long-distance comfort in perfect harmony.
The chassis technology in the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer has been engineered to deliver the brand’s customary sporting flair combined with impressive levels of ride comfort in every situation. With a body construction that reduces weight while increasing rigidity, a long wheelbase, and wider tracks than its predecessor, the car’s basic design provides the ideal blueprint for the job at hand.

Steering precision and agility have been enhanced by targeted updates for the single-joint spring strut axle at the front and the three-link rear axle. The near-actuator wheel slip limitation function included as standard improves both traction and directional stability. The integrated braking system is another new feature, as is the extra, lift-related damping for the front axle. The optional adaptive M suspension includes frequency-selective damping, sport steering and a 15-millimetre drop in ride height.

A fresh variety of systems for automated driving and parking.
The largest selection of systems for automated driving and parking yet offered for a BMW compact-segment model are available for the new edition of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. Standard specification includes Cruise Control with brake function, Lane Departure Warning, the Evasion Assistant and front-collision warning. The latter now also reacts to oncoming traffic when turning left and to pedestrians and cyclists and when turning right (in countries where vehicles drive on the right). The Parking Assistant including Reversing Assist Camera and Reversing Assistant also comes as standard. Options include the Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function, Active Navigation, the exit warning function, the BMW Head-Up Display and the Surround View, Remote 3D View, BMW Drive Recorder and Remote Theft Recorder functions.

Existing functions can be improved or expanded by means of Remote Software Upgrades, and customers can also use Functions on Demand to select and import a range of functions at a later stage, such as Driving Assistant Plus including Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function (availability depends on the hardware fitted in the vehicle and the market conditions).

The new BMW iDrive makes its debut in the premium compact segment.

The new generation of the control/operation system iDrive, included here in a compact-segment model from BMW for the first time, is based on BMW Operating System 8. It links up as standard with the BMW Curved Display – with its state-of-the-art graphics and menu structure – and the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant with expanded skills range. The BMW Curved Display fully digital screen grouping is formed by a 10.25-inch information display and a control display with a screen diagonal of 10.7 inches. The new BMW iDrive is built around intuitive touch control and voice control.

The new My Modes bring together individually selected vehicle settings with the relevant interior experience worlds. The cloud-based navigation system BMW Maps can be specified as an option with the Augmented View function on the control display. The interior camera allows those on board to take snapshots during a journey and send them to their smartphone. New BMW 2 Series Active Tourer customers can also make use of a Personal eSIM designed to work with the new 5G mobile technology, as well as the BMW ID for individualisation of the user experience and further improved smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Source: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-active-tourer

Configure yours here: https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/co...?expanded=true
Attached Images

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2021, 03:24 AM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

And some videos..

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
I'm currently not looking for such a form factor. But if I was, I'd seriously consider this. Apart from the usual visual stuff (kidney too big lol) I really like it, especially the interior. Pricing seems to be great as well, came out to 45k€, which is just 2k€ more than a comparable Golf Variant while having much better options.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

i hate that dashboard so much.
why are they against circular gauges?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
The U.S. didn't get the first 2-series Active Tourer, and hopefully we won't be getting this one, either. But then most of this design language will leak into every model at some point. That's why I'm keeping my E82 128i 6-speed M-sport forever.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1246.50
      10-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
So much for the stuby gear selector
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Did this replace the i3 or is that still being made?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'm surprised to see a brand new shifter design. Upscale-looking interior materials are a plus, but the blocky shapes bother me a bit.

That grill though
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

It does look a little like they took the grill of the X7 and stuck it right onto this

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
No one will see this, but another thing I noticed was they are adding preparation for multiple options, even if you don't order them. For example driving assistant pro, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc. This means they will be offering a digital upgrade for those options if you decide you want them, or if you buy it used. Not quite sure if I like this, but that's what they have communicated already, so it's not going to change.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
No one will see this, but another thing I noticed was they are adding preparation for multiple options, even if you don't order them. For example driving assistant pro, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc. This means they will be offering a digital upgrade for those options if you decide you want them, or if you buy it used. Not quite sure if I like this, but that's what they have communicated already, so it's not going to change.
Yes...it looks like BMW (and some other car makers) will be including a lot of features that are now optional extra cost and if the original buyer/lessor didn't select them, they become available subscription items.

I don't mind so long as BMW doesn't increase our costs to account for the added hardware.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      10-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #12
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

The last I had read was that BMW had abandoned the dual-clutch transmission. This appears to have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #13
nebrilon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82

The exterior looks nice except for the big kidney grille.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
coiedulci
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 ED

Looks great 11/10 !

Two questions:
- will not have a drive shaft to the rear, thus saving interior space; the xDrive versions will have an individual motor at the back, correct ?
- the rotary knob for iDrive is missing because is a low-entry class car, or they went crazy and they will remove it from all their future models ? also, i don't want to comment that the iDrive looks like a cheap Android navi-unit, and doesn't have the same unique, distinctive and premium feeling like all others iDrive systems had.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
tultoy
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

That physical head up display is a bummer

I really dont get it why they could not upgrade it to system that projects driving info directly to windshield.

But nice change is much more subtile front door window pillar. It is so big on older models and it takes so much away from view field....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:01 AM   #16
cdavis93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Why the huge kidney grilles...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #17
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis93 View Post
Why the huge kidney grilles...
Increased presence. Sheesh. Read the marketing text.

Who knows. Because branding, I guess.
Appreciate 1
cdavis93140.50
      10-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #18
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
I guess at some point BMW hired blind designers as part of the diversity program.

Just happy not to see this on North American roads.
      03-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #19
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
The last I had read was that BMW had abandoned the dual-clutch transmission. This appears to have it.
All UK versions of the new 2022 Active Tourer have a 7 speed DCT. I have it on my 2018 X1 and can’t really fault it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #20
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

What a turd. M Sport, LOL.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      03-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #21
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Ugly as hell.
Did somebody forget to add some style to this thing.
Ugly seats in there imo. Looks to much like many other cheaper cars.
No Thanks to that thing.
Yup these flat curved monitors on dash look like a cheap Samsung monitor on some outdated desk at my dentist office.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #22
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

I genuinely like the all-white exterior look.
Appreciate 0