Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Karbonius Full Carbon CSL Style Intake Install and Sound Clip

Hey folks,

After ordering the Karbonius Full Carbon CSL Style Intake in mid-February, it finally arrived early last week. So let the install commence (hope you're ready for this photo overload):

Stock plenum/airbox removed:

It was Cinco de Mayo, so a margarita was necessary:

Blow by, what?!:

Dirty throttle bodies:

Removed and cleaned the ICV while it was accessible:

Clean throttle bodies!:

New Turner Motorsport throttle body boots installed:

ICV cleaned and reinstalled:

Swapped rubber mounts from stock box to the new Karb box:

Carbon Fiber sexiness:

Turner IAT kit supposedly fits all CSL intakes....EXCEPT the sensor they include 100% does not fit the Karbonius box:

THIS is the sensor I actually need. Waiting to hear back from Turner on whether or not they'll refund me for the incorrect sensor and swap with this one:

Needed to temporarily install the sensor somewhere until I get the correct one, so the tuner suggested putting it here for now:

Some fabrication (lol) work was required for the new intake to fit. Trimmed this plastic piece back about 1/4":

New CSL box installed:

Remote tuning time (courtesy of HTE Performance):

Along with the Alpha-N (CSL) tune (needed because I'm no longer running the factory MAF), I also opted for the cold start delete and a very mild burble (I was a bit skeptical, but he suggested I try it out and I am GLAD I did...it's so subtle, yet so perfect between shifts).

And tuned and all put back together:

I took a quick, little video of me merging onto the highway yesterday where you can get a decent sense of the induction noise. I'd like to setup my GoPro in the car soon with a mic placed under the hood, near the opening of the intake, to get a recording of some legit induction noise. Soon!

You can't really hear the burble tune (luckily), because it really is mild and is perfect. It causes the smallest of pops between shifts and letting off throttle after WOT. It's VERY subtle, but I dig it.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 2
JayR_e92225.00
Harroldv125.00
      05-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Fastburn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 BMW M3

Great sound

Installed a Karbonius intake couple years ago and agree on the sound - love it.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Great thread this is on my to-do list. Like the sound
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastburn View Post
Installed a Karbonius intake couple years ago and agree on the sound - love it.
Worth every penny!! Especially after seeing all the issues folks have had with the Turner CSL intake (which I was originally considering), it makes me appreciate the Karb box that much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
Great thread this is on my to-do list. Like the sound
Thanks! If you're curious, I have sort of an ongoing "build thread" for the M3 over at NAM3Forum: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ow-burn-e46-m3.

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #5
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

Nice!

Roughly what did it cost all said and done for the airbox, IAT, alpha n tune etc.?

It's tricky trying to gauge this just from reading what others have done online (MAF, IAT or CSL ECU etc). From what I gather it's about 4K total? Sometimes less, sometimes more
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_e92 View Post
Nice!

Roughly what did it cost all said and done for the airbox, IAT, alpha n tune etc.?

It's tricky trying to gauge this just from reading what others have done online (MAF, IAT or CSL ECU etc). From what I gather it's about 4K total? Sometimes less, sometimes more
Last night, I did what I should have done from the get go and opted for the CSL dipstick and dipstick tube from ECS Tuning, so that added a bit more cost.

So let's see, all in, I'm roughly at $3000, give or take a few bucks and change.

Hope that helps!

Appreciate 1
JayR_e92225.00
      06-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
Quote:
Nice!

Last night, I did what I should have done from the get go and opted for the CSL dipstick and dipstick tube from ECS Tuning, so that added a bit more cost.

So let's see, all in, I'm roughly at $3000, give or take a few bucks and change.

Hope that helps!
Nice! That's seem to be on the lower end of others I had asked before. That's great to hear 🤘🏽

Be sure to upload some more sound clips when you get a chance!

Thank you 🙌🏽
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice! That's seem to be on the lower end of others I had asked before. That's great to hear 🤘🏽

Be sure to upload some more sound clips when you get a chance!

Thank you 🙌🏽
Yeah I'm guessing that going with the Alpha N tune versus the CSL ECU/MAP conversion is probably where you'd save some money.

And you got it! I'd like to get some proper clips with a mic mounted underhood, but need to get the misfire situation sorted. I've already replaced the spark plugs, but need the CSL dipstick and tube to arrive (supposedly today) before I can button the car back up and take it out for a spin to see how she's running.

Stay tuned!

Appreciate 1
JayR_e92225.00
      06-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
aab010799
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

You don't want the CSL dipstick! You have to remove the whole 2nd section of the airbox every time you want to manually check oil level. I have it on mine and it's a major PIA. Going to bend my original factory dipstick and reinstall it sometime soon. People have different ways of mounting them or simply bending them to go around the CSL box so it's still readable without pulling pieces off.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab010799 View Post
You don't want the CSL dipstick! You have to remove the whole 2nd section of the airbox every time you want to manually check oil level. I have it on mine and it's a major PIA. Going to bend my original factory dipstick and reinstall it sometime soon. People have different ways of mounting them or simply bending them to go around the CSL box so it's still readable without pulling pieces off.
Yeah I did my research and not too worried about that (famous last words, am I right?). It's not like I need to check my oil all that often, anyway.

I'll probably eventually try my hand at bending another one, but until then, this'll do. Cheers!

Appreciate 0