BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #4665
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Their choice of propaganda programming surely is affecting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
I can fix it for them free of charge, here-go the opposite direction of woke. It'll be like magic.
I respectfully disagree with that assessment. I know it's en vogue these days to inject politics - whether directly or tangentially - into every facet of life; however, that's not what's happening here. The content streaming space hit peak saturation and Netflix, the largest streaming platform by active subscribers is getting squeezed. Paramount+, Disney+, AppleTV+, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, HBO Max, Hulu, Discovery+, Shudder, Peacock, Freevee, and the two dozen I didn't list are all taking a piece of the market that Netflix had long dominated. This is not about politics or "woke programming", this is business, full stop.
wdb4732.00
CamasM3e933165.50
      07-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #4666
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Quote:
Their choice of propaganda programming surely is affecting them.
Quote:
I can fix it for them free of charge, here-go the opposite direction of woke. It'll be like magic.
I respectfully disagree with that assessment. I know it's en vogue these days to inject politics - whether directly or tangentially - into every facet of life; however, that's not what's happening here. The content streaming space hit peak saturation and Netflix, the largest streaming platform by active subscribers is getting squeezed. Paramount+, Disney+, AppleTV+, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, HBO Max, Hulu, Discovery+, Shudder, Peacock, Freevee, and the two dozen I didn't list are all taking a piece of the market that Netflix had long dominated. This is not about politics or "woke programming", this is business, full stop.
Your assessment is correct, but so is ours. Anecdotally speaking, I know of many, many people who have canceled Netflix, Disney+, etc. because of the programming. It's not "en vogue". It is the truth. I'm sure many people here know of others who have canceled subscriptions for that very reason as well. Not everybody wants their kids watching cartoons about transgender characters and not everybody wants BLM/trans/etc. subject matter stuffed down their throats. Full stop! See, I can do that too.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2022, 08:35 AM   #4667
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Just got an email of another Netflix price increase. Enough already. I think it’s time to cancel and just jump back in once in a while. Maybe we’ll alternate between Netflix and Hulu for a few months at a time. These streaming services have some good programming but not enough to justify perpetual subscriptions. At least there is the option to cancel and re-subscribe easily with streaming vs. cable / satellite packages.
Wait, you're referencing a 2 month old email as though it's new?

We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and I think Discovery. Prime of course comes with the shipping subscription since we purchase a fair amount from there.

But Netflix, Hulu+ Live, and Discovery combined are less than one going out for a decent dinner which we do a few times a month. So the $1.50/month price increase is like over the course of the year isn't even a 12-pack of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #4668
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Your assessment is correct, but so is ours. Anecdotally speaking, I know of many, many people who have canceled Netflix, Disney+, etc. because of the programming. It's not "en vogue". It is the truth. I'm sure many people here know of others who have canceled subscriptions for that very reason as well. Not everybody wants their kids watching cartoons about transgender characters and not everybody wants BLM/trans/etc. subject matter stuffed down their throats. Full stop! See, I can do that too.
Because you know of many people who have canceled Netflix, Disney+, etc. that's the basis for your position? Really? So how many people are we talking about? 30 people? Maybe 50 people? Or do you know 9.5 million people who have canceled for the reasons you listed? The few people you know are hardly representative of the population at large.

The problem with that logic is all of the streaming services are doing it. Every single streaming platform is housing content with "BLM/trans/etc." elements and largely to the same degree. Is every streaming platform experiencing material attrition in its subscriber base? No, no they are not.
      07-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #4669
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Wait, you're referencing a 2 month old email as though it's new?

We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and I think Discovery. Prime of course comes with the shipping subscription since we purchase a fair amount from there.

But Netflix, Hulu+ Live, and Discovery combined are less than one going out for a decent dinner which we do a few times a month. So the $1.50/month price increase is like over the course of the year isn't even a 12-pack of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.
I received an email about a price increase this morning to $19.99/mo. for 4 screens and 4K.

It’s not really about the 2 bucks in isolation. It’s about the 2 bucks on top of all the other increases and the relative value of the subscription relative to time watching it and other options out there. Combined with the ability to cancel and re-subscribe to watch their content periodically, what is the point of paying monthly if we aren’t watching it all that much?

Not sure why going to dinner is a relevant comparison. I think cost of other TV options is most relevant. I pay 2 grand for football season tickets. Just because it’s entertainment doesn’t make it relevant to cost of TV subscriptions.
Clark_Kent2227.50
      07-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #4670
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because you know of many people who have canceled Netflix, Disney+, etc. that's the basis for your position? Really? So how many people are we talking about? 30 people? Maybe 50 people? Or do you know 9.5 million people who have canceled for the reasons you listed? The few people you know are hardly representative of the population at large.

The problem with that logic is all of the streaming services are doing it. Every single streaming platform is housing content with "BLM/trans/etc." and largely to the same degree. Is every streaming platform experiencing material attrition in its subscriber base? No, no they are not.
I knew that would be your retort. I can't put a figure to it……and you know that, so why even pose the question?!? I have no idea how many of the cancellations were due to programming, only that some of the cancellations were due to the programming choices. Why do you think I prefaced my statement with "anecdotally speaking"? For whatever the reason, Netflix and Disney+ seem to be the services that cause more concern for people than the other services (…and maybe that's because most people have those two along with Hulu; they are front and center). Respectfully disagree like you initially stated. It's your prerogative to do so. Nobody stated your assessment was without merit, so there is no need to attempt to prove why somebody else's perspective is wrong and yours is right. We all view things from a different vantage point and we all have different experiences.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #4671
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While I agree with wishing there were less programming, I expect there were more people cancelling Netflix for the opposite reason. People were pissed at Netflix for Dave Chappelle. They told employees to quit if they didn’t like it.
      07-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #4672
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
While I agree with wishing there were less programming, I expect there were more people cancelling Netflix for the opposite reason. People were pissed at Netflix for Dave Chappelle. They told employees to quit if they didn't like it.
Ok, but let's examine that. People wanted Chappelle canceled why?…..because he poked fun at the LBGTQXYZ123 community. It all circles back to identity politics once again. Everybody else can be targeted, but not them.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #4673
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, but let's examine that. People wanted Chappelle canceled why?…..because he poked fun at the LBGTQXYZ123 community. It all circles back to identity politics once again. Everybody else can be targeted, but not them.
Not sure I follow the point. [Paraphrasing] You said people cancelled because of woke programming. All I’m saying is it works both ways. Become “less sensitive” to those seeking such programming and different people will cancel. I know some people cancelled because they aired Chappelle, even though I found his special funny as hell.
      07-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #4674
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
People are cancelling for all kinds of reasons. I still have Netflix because it suits me, I don't watch all the Woke Social Justice programs and quickly shut them down when they go down that road regardless of the provider. If you don't like what's on, change the channel has been my view always. I get why folks take a stand against some providers if they get sick of it. I cancelled Disney when they fired Gina Carano. My view was that if they are going to fire her for a political view then I'm going to cancel the service. I would've cancelled Netflix if they had sided with the staff who wanted Chappelle cancelled. Just my two cents though.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25120.00
RickFLM410981.00
      07-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #4675
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
People are cancelling for all kinds of reasons. I still have Netflix because it suits me, I don't watch all the Woke Social Justice programs and quickly shut them down when they go down that road regardless of the provider. If you don't like what's on, change the channel has been my view always. I get why folks take a stand against some providers if they get sick of it. I cancelled Disney when they fired Gina Carano. My view was that if they are going to fire her for a political view then I'm going to cancel the service. I would've cancelled Netflix if they had sided with the staff who wanted Chappelle cancelled. Just my two cents though.
Ah, I see you cops stick together. Liking each other's posts, both driving Porsches...lol. All jokes aside, yeah, if you don't like what's on the screen, change the channel or cancel the service. It's good to be in a place where you have a choice. Different strokes for different folks. I'll still rock with Netflix until their content sucks. There are still too many shows on the platform I like. It also helps my mobile phone provider pays for the service.
      07-19-2022, 10:00 AM   #4676
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:

The problem with that logic is all of the streaming services are doing it. Every single streaming platform is housing content with "BLM/trans/etc." elements and largely to the same degree. Is every streaming platform experiencing material attrition in its subscriber base? No, no they are not.
I canceled all my streaming accounts, I didn't want to support the abhorrent content being produced to be able to see the programs I was interested l in. If the filth that disgusted me to the point of cancellation went away I'd sign up again. There are many people like me. To ignore this fact is to ignore a substantial portion of potential subs. Of course there are other, larger factors at play also. But to say we don't make a dent is pure business ignorance. The phrase go woke go broke didn't invent itself. There is, in fact, some truth to that statement. This isn't politics, it's reality. A large portion of this country simply doesn't want to see the normalization of certain lifestyles while watching a basketball game. The aforementioned fact isn't meant to be a comment as to wether or not those lifestyles are right or wrong.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      07-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #4677
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Ah, I see you cops stick together. Liking each other's posts, both driving Porsches...lol. All jokes aside, yeah, if you don't like what's on the screen, change the channel or cancel the service. It's good to be in a place where you have a choice. Different strokes for different folks. I'll still rock with Netflix until their content sucks. There are still too many shows on the platform I like. It also helps my mobile phone provider pays for the service.
Were all cut from the same cloth.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      07-19-2022, 10:56 AM   #4678
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
I canceled all my streaming accounts, I didn't want to support the abhorrent content being produced to be able to see the programs I was interested l in. If the filth that disgusted me to the point of cancellation went away I'd sign up again. There are many people like me. To ignore this fact is to ignore a substantial portion of potential subs. Of course there are other, larger factors at play also. But to say we don't make a dent is pure business ignorance. The phrase go woke go broke didn't invent itself. There is, in fact, some truth to that statement. This isn't politics, it's reality. A large portion of this country simply doesn't want to see the normalization of certain lifestyles while watching a basketball game. The aforementioned fact isn't meant to be a comment as to wether or not those lifestyles are right or wrong.
What, specifically are you so upset about. Examples would be great.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #4679
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
What, specifically are you so upset about. Examples would be great.
I provided examples already.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #4680
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Well yes, but I didn't ask you.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #4681
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That is true, but my answer remains. There are already examples presented.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #4682
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He has power of attorney for matters such as this.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede18032.00
      07-19-2022, 12:58 PM   #4683
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All your streaming accounts? That seems overly broad.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #4684
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All your streaming accounts? That seems overly broad.
Well I only had two. They won't miss me, I get it. But honestly, I don't miss them either. I still fund DIRECTV and all the stations they carry that I may disagree with. It is what it is, I drew the line where I drew it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      07-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #4685
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

It took four episodes, but Westworld has gone completely Westworld in perhaps one of their best and most satisfying jaw-dropping twists yet. All the clues are now making sense. I'm extremely interested to see how things will play out for the remainder of the season.
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      07-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #4686
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Better Call Saul was epic as usual. I'm still waiting for Walter White or Jessie to make an appearance. Only a few episodes left, damnit.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50