BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Thinking of buying a used 3-series

I currently drive a 2004 Acura TSX, but I'm thinking of trading it for a pre-owned 3-series of 1997-2000 vintage. The exchange would leave me with some extra $$ to pay off our minivan and driving the BMW would keep me my patience somewhat under control until the 1 or 2 series is announced for North America.

Any advice on buying a used 3? Most of the 1997-2000s have roughly 100K to 170K kms on them, but generally seem fairly clean.

Any views would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think a used E46 is a great idea, its regarded as not only one of the best and well rounded 3 series ever, but in the car industry in general. Its not an acclaim that was given for the time.. it still holds true today. Great handling, great performance, great looks, great reliability, great engines, great all around. Can't go wrong. Any year is a good car, i'd go for the one with the fewest amount of miles and one with sports package which gives better tactile feel when driving from not only the stiffer suspension, but the steering wheel and seats which give a nicer cabin aura for sure
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Agreed w. Freak. E46's are pretty much bullet-proof. Very solid.
And maybe one of BMW's best interiors- business-like and ergonomic.
E46-coupe's were particularly sweet.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks. A friend recently picked up a '97 E46 Coupe (328is). Quite clean and solid for under $10,000CAD. He's really happy with it so far.

The minor annoyances are having to get an aftermarket stereo if you want in-dash CD and, if you've got baby seats (like in do), the standardized restraint anchors aren't there. Benefits seem to outweigh the annoyances, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
lebowski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330ci M-sport (past)

re:

Spudwest, not sure if you're still checking this thread now, but it appears we're in a similar situation. I've had my 2004 TSX 6-speed for just under 2 years, and it has been a great car, but I have found that it lacks the sporty character I'm looking for - fwd, overly light steering, and the lack of torque being the main culprits here.

I have never owned a BMW but I am very much looking forward to the 2-series, as i'm looking for something slightly smaller, sportier, and more responsive than the acura. Perhaps a used E46 or E36 is the answer in the interim, but have you driven these yet? are they that much better than the acura in terms of handling, engine response, and steering feel? Is it worth making the jump?

Thanks in advance,

Lebowski
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Hi Lebowski,

We've had a few BMWs in the family - Dad has had two 5-series and Mom has a E46 320i. While the 320i is not powerful, the handling characteristics are superior to the TSX. Also, while it has less output than the TSX, the engine is more usable, particularly in the lower range. Overall it is more fun to drive, and rwd makes a big difference.

A friend recently bought an E36 328is (coupe) with 120,000kms and loves it. I drove it and can attest that it is a solid car and a lot of fun to drive.

I'm focussing on '99 E46 with 130,000kms and may purchase it tonight. They appear to be a great deal and trade-in on the TSX is quite good - dealer is offering $23K. So in exchange for my TSX, I'm walking away with a tax-free (because of trade-in) '99 323i and a check for $9,000. The dealer will list the TSX for about $25,000 and this saves me doing the e-test, certification, changing tires and touch-ups, in addition to having saved the taxes on the BMW.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Money-wise, you couldn't do better.

Your Acura is a real bargaining chip- popular car, great rep.
You could stand pat and look for something newer with a larger engine and less miles....or go with what sounds like a very good deal.
Tough decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

It has been a tough decision. But the cash will go towards paying off our newer vehicle: Honda Odyssey. The car nut in me would go for some of the subtle improvements on latter E46s and perhaps more engine (328 or 330). But the practical side of me (my wife actually) is keeping my eye on the ball. The goal is to cash in some of the remaining equity on the TSX and acquire a vehicle that I can enjoy for two or three years. At that point I'll be targetting a 1er, 2er or, failing their arrival, a 3er...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks all for your comments. I'm anticipating taking delivery within days of a very low milage E36 328is black on black. It is show room clean and has a very clean bill of health. Can't wait...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Congrats Spud!
Tell us more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Can't figure out how to post pictures (I don't have my own url...), but I have some if someone can let me know how...

I haven't seen it yet, other than in pictures, but it's got leather, upgraded sound and sunroof. Not sure if this means it had a Premium Package upgrade, because the seats are manual control. The only down sides are that it's automatic (really wanted standard) and it doesn't have the sport package. But, with my Dad as a scout, I chose to go with it on the basis of very low mileage (67,000 kilometres or about 42,000 miles) and because it's extremely clean and virtually unblemished.

A BMW dealer did a 75-point inspection. All that came up were two latent faults: one in the fuel sensor, the other in the one of the O2 sensors. And the trunk lock tumbler either needs to be lubricated or replaced... All three are being addressed pre-delivery. Apparently the sensors are fine, but I negotiated to have them replaced as a precaution.

The only changes I plan on making are to add a remote starter (good for Canadian winters, and I've become far too accustomed to keyless entry). And maybe some new alloys - I'll keep the BMW alloys for winter tires... But the standard wheels have a nice look (and I'm not really big on customizing), so I may just put my winters on steel rims and stay with the standard alloys. I may also look into firming up the suspension to sport package spec, but that's even less likely...

I'll let you know more once I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

I think Harold can post pics...or tell you how.
I use
http://dropload.com to send large files.
It's free and easy to use.

The car sounds sweet. I think you were wise to get one with low mileage.
You may wish it had manual, but when it comes time to sell it- auto will add to the price and curb appeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Your right on the resale - auto is something to be thankful for when it comes time to sell. I'm regarding this car as my warm-up for the 2er, when it comes - then, of course, I fit up the car to my own spec. :thumbup:

The mileage is shockingly low for the Ontario market. Almost all other examples between 1996 and 2000 were well above 100,000kms.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Brookside
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=spudwest;1421] I'm regarding this car as my warm-up for the 2er, when it comes - then, of course, I fit up the car to my own spec. :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan!
I'm not seeing the image!!
:iono:
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Tried to upload a file, but it appears it didn't work. Not sure how... :mad:
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Bad news. The unscrupulous Toronto dealer from whom my dealer was brokering the car sold it out from under us. My broker was too slow... So I'm on the hunt again...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #17
Brookside
Major
Rep

Too bad Spud, sounded like a good car.
But, for me when I'm shopping, half the fun is in the chase-
hunting the right car down, negotiating. All the stuff that most people find excruciating...I really like doing.

I'm putting off deciding what to do with my Z4. It's been an extravagance.
A totally frivilous car. But I love it. My wife has her eyes on a used Subaru Forester...the antithesis of the bimmer.
Practical car...low payments- Ha! What do women know?

We lease- because we negotiated a very good price and put down a significant amount on deposit our buy-out is very attractive.
I could buy it when the lease is up in July - hold onto the car another year - and sell it
for what could be as much as a 3-4k profit. (What is owed on the car vs. what you sell it for)
There's a point in the life of the car when it no longer returns a significant margin so my timing on the turnaround is crucial.
I've financed two cars this way and it works....assuming that the car you're selling is desirable.
I'm also thinking about another option-turning my car in and upgrading it for a used Z4 3.0 with a sports package.

I don't want to think about it too much right now (even tho I've blabbed away here)
because I know it will consume a lot of my time this spring when I have to make a final decision.

By the way, I'll be taking a 3-series coupe (the 2.8) out as a loaner in the coming weeks when I get the Z a scheduled service.
My dealer is hot to get us into a coupe.
I'm looking forward to driving it and seeing what my impressions are. But again, I'll see what kind of a deal is available-
the financing options on some models can be almost penalizing because of their popularity...as you know.

In the long run- BMW's timing on the 2-series coupe is really hurting my plans.
I'd love to simply turn my car in this summer and drive off in a little 2-coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

I can see we have a similar push-pull relationship with the "co-owner" of our car collections... Fortunately for me (and perhaps for you) my wife does appreciate that finer things exist in the automotive world and experiences flashes of enthusiasm for them that, of course, I try to capitalize on. While the current trade I'm considering is more attractive to her because we are liquidating some equity in the Acura (for which our enthusiasm has dampened in the last year or so - not that it's not a good car...), I'm fortunate that she appreciates the novelty of having a BMW in the garage to offset the extreme sensibility of the Oddysey.

My motivation is part for having the extra cash, but more out of recognition that any good 3-series will be a satisfying driving experience, and I need to get far, far away from the front-drive, understeering, torque-lacking, 4-banger of an Acura I currently drive.

Subaru aside (not that there's anything wrong with that), I envy you for the choices you're faced with. I would jump at a new 3-series in a second and the Z4 3.0 would be sweet... But as much as I love the 3-series, I'm hopeful for you that enough info will become available on the 2er before the Spring when you have to start mulling options in earnest. Perhaps some clearer info in the next few months would inspire an interim car purchase to tide you over to the availability of the 2? you know as well as I that it's going to be sweet...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep

Auuggghhhh!
Bad news for me.
My BMW dealership has changed hands...slightly but significantly.
The 1/3 partner in the business just sold out his share to the other two parties.
He cut me a sweet deal on my last car....one that I won't be able to match
again without his influence and good will.
That doesn't mean I'm out of BMW...it means that I've joined the ranks of those who pay (much) more than they should.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Ugg, definitely sucks to lose a connection like that. I think I'll have one at a fairly local dealer. That is one of my concerns though. I'll pay full MSRP, as I imagine these are going to be pretty hot when they come out, but I'm not giving business to anybody trying to screw me for some bogus "market adjustment".
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #21
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

I'll certainly be wainting for the excitement to settle down. There's no way I'm getting gouged... It would be good to have an "in" and the local BMW store... My condolences, Brookside...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #22
Brookside
Major
Rep

It was good while it lasted.
I hate the mega-dealerships where you're never talking to anyone who has even slightest power to negotiate.
Having an independently owned dealership is so much better for the consumer rather than having to shop at places that are part of a conglomerate or network.
Anyway, thanks for the condolences Spud.
I'll still get what I want...but it'll end up costing me more.
Appreciate 0