Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Concern with oem pads

I've noticed my stock brakes are feeling a little off lately. Squealing a bit and not biting as they should especially when I'm having those heavy footed days!

I bought some ebc yellowstuff pads as I'm in the uk and that's all I can find that fit. I've just had them fitted and fluid changed for motul rbf600 as I've got a track day this Friday.

I asked the garage to retain the old oem pads for refitting afterwards as they have loads of wear left but when I picked up the car they said DO NOT refit these pads as they look like theyve been killed off through overheating.

I went to a main dealer last week and they advised these pads had loads of life left although they didn't remove them so I don't expect them to see this when on the car.

Here's some pictures of the oem pads now they are off the car. 13,000 miles of wear. Daily driving (spirited) and one track day last summer.

Is this to be expected? You can see the chunks of pad missing from the face.

I thought I'd share in case this is an issue. If I wasn't going on track these would have been left for probably another 8000 miles at least going by the depth of pad left.
Attached Images

04-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

FWIW, I have similar chunks missing on two inner front pads (albeit they, at least for now, have noticeably fewer chunks than yours). My set has 2000 miles of daily driving on it. I am not liking this at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerzasty View Post
FWIW, I have similar chunks missing on two inner front pads (albeit they, at least for now, have noticeably fewer chunks than yours). My set has 2000 miles of daily driving on it. I am not liking this at all.
I'm in for an oil service tomorrow so was planning on asking them if this is normal but wary of getting fobbed off hence asking here.

if this is abnormal then ill see if i can swing a warranty replacement. i appreciate they are a consumable but when only half worn they surely shouldn't be doing this.