Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dry Ice Cleaning in Southeastern MA

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

Some of you may recognize my username, as I've been a forum member for many years. The reason for this thread is that I'm looking to potentially start a dry ice cleaning business (for automobiles), in hopes of pursuing my passion and leaving behind a dead-end desk job.

As this is a relatively new process in the automotive space (been around in commercial/industrial cleaning for decades), I'm not sure what the level of familiarity is with this process, but, honestly, it's amazing. If you are curious about learning about it, check out the Youtube pages for Scott Ales (the Dryce man) and R20 motorsports...bunch of great footage highlighting what this can do for vehicles.

And so I'm reaching out to potentially start building relationships and gauging interest from potential clients. I've been in IT for just about 15 years and as I near age 40 (turned 38 in March), I decided it was time for me to make a change in my life. I've got 2 young boys at home (5 and 3) and a wife who fully supports me, so back in April I started off on this venture and am hoping to see it to fruition, where I am (hopefully) able to soon open my own dry ice cleaning business in southeastern MA. Got a few more steps in the process before that happens, but I'd like to see what the interest level is from you guys (and perhaps any other friends/connections you have that you could share with me).

While I don't have a website yet (still trying to come up with a business name), check out the drycenation site in the meantime! I can answer (or at the very least, try to) any question(s) that may come up in terms of the process and what is involved.

It's certainly not a cheap one, nor is this for everybody, I am fully aware of that. And there are naysayers, which I get. But I've trained in this process and done it firsthand and it's simply incredible. I believe there is a market for this service and am hoping that this business takes off and becomes full-time, so I can leave my current IT job, where I've been fairly unhappy for a few years now.

So, in summary, I'm simply trying to network and hopefully build up some interest in my potential business so I don't lose my wife and/or house if it goes belly up! haha (but seriously!).

Here are some examples of before/after shots from some other colleagues:

Reach out and PM me if you've got any interest, questions, leads, etc. Thank you very much for your time! And if you aren't interested, feel free to ignore and continue living your life. That's totally fine, too!

-Shaun

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

I'm actually very interested in having my underside dry iced locally here in the pacific nw

How much does it run typically? Ball park
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_e92 View Post
I'm actually very interested in having my underside dry iced locally here in the pacific nw

How much does it run typically? Ball park
Thanks for reaching out!

There's no "set" price. Like most things, it depends on a variety of factors. Most guys in the country are charging anywhere from $250-300/hr, but in terms of the scope of the job, it really varies based on the condition of the vehicle in question. Obviously, something newer would theoretically be easier/quicker to clean. But was the car located near the ocean, driven in salt/snow, have any fluid leaks, etc etc.

I'd say on average, if I had to guess, you'd probably be looking at $2000, give or take. But it also comes down to how far down the rabbit hole the owner of the vehicle is willing to go. If you have a budget you want to stick to, make that clear from the very get go and the dry ice operator will (or at least, should) do their best to adhere to the expectations that were set from the start.

Hope that helps!

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
JayR_e92225.00
      09-18-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

Thanks man! I appreciate the advice and info
This is will be helpful going forward
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #5
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
An update for anyone interested/following along:

After months of waiting, we are finally in our building! Still lots of work ahead, but this was a huge step for @enticedgarage and I’m still hoping to open up shop sometime in Q1. Stay tuned for more updates!
#dryice #dryicecleaning #dryiceblasting #autodetailing #detailing #detailersofinstagram #dryce #drycenation #entICEDgarage @enticedgarage https://www.facebook.com/entICEDgarage/

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some big developments since I last posted. Lift was installed, electrical work was completed and the compressor system was setup and plumbed, so we've got air!!

We should have our first delivery of dry ice tomorrow. If you're interested and local, reach out and we'll get you on the schedule!

Not sure how to embed Flickr videos (I tried every option, couldn't get it to work), but here's a link to the compressor startup:

https://flic.kr/p/2n6Gmzv

My temporary workspace:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had our first client vehicle (1979 Mercedes Benz 300CD) in recently for engine bay, wheel well, undercarriage and some other miscellaneous cleaning.

BEFORE

DURING

Couldn't see these paint marks before! And originality is key for many clients...we don't want to knock off these sort of marks or stickers that are original to the vehicle if we can help it.

AFTER

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #8
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Promise I am coming in soon after some engine bay work with my e92. I want to bring it to a few C&C this year but need it sparkling clean and I need to redo my valve covers first.

See you soon, friend, and free bump!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 06:57 AM   #9
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
Promise I am coming in soon after some engine bay work with my e92. I want to bring it to a few C&C this year but need it sparkling clean and I need to redo my valve covers first.

See you soon, friend, and free bump!
Sounds good to me. Looking forward to it!!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #10
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some shop updates:

Took a new approach and stole this idea from another dry ice provider...using painters drop cloths (canvas) to take the brunt of the dirt-catching duties, rather than constantly dirty up my concrete floors. They're cheap enough so I can keep these in place until they get really dirty, then toss them in the dumpster and replace them with fresh ones. Rinse and repeat:

Top coat was put down in the parking lot at the shop at the end of May, and the parking spaces were striped and numbered:

In terms of business, had some cool developments. A local Porsche/McLaren mechanic dropped off a motor from an air-cooled Porsche to get cleaned up while it was out of the car:

Then, my shop neighbor talked one of his customers into getting his Ferrari Mondial cleaned up a bit in preparation for some custom exhaust work:

Had this Alfa Spider in for an engine bay detail early last month:

BEFORE

AFTER

Had a bunch of ice left over, so I got to cleaning. A client had dropped off a set of euro taillights for his E36 M3 that were pretty gunked up. They cleaned up very well and the dry ice brought the gaskets back to new:

Appreciate 0