BMW E46 M3 - Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

07-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Home Security setup

Can anyone give me advise on a couple of systems:
The 2 I'm looking at are, 1400 is really more than I want to spend.
Do you think I can upgrade the camera's at a later date ?
Is the 2MP analogue really that bad ?

Thoughts

I'm really looking for a view from my house covering my drive, and the walkway, mainly to see any hit/run drivers, so be good to get a car and plate
also the back garden

Is it also good to advertise the fact that you have CCTV, in so far as, a deterrent ?

txs

OPTION 1
HIKVISION 8MP (4K) CCTV
4KIP Camera 1
4K IP Camera 2
4 Channel NVR
1 TB Storage
Cat5 Cable
Back Boxes
Connections/Material
Networking/Programing
Online Remote Access
Professional Installation
3 Years Warranty

Installation cost - $1,400+ tax
(Cash purchase price we can save you on the tax)

OPTION 2
OEM 2 ANALOG CCTV
2MP Camera 1
2MP Camera 2
4 Channel DVR
1TB Storage
Cat5 Cable
Back Boxes
Connections/Material
Networking/Programing
Online Remote Access
3 Years Warranty

Installation cost - $900+ tax
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I came across this video

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Having a surveillance system is great. But only if it works. I've seen many that are essentially worthless for retrieving usable footage after an event for numerous reasons.

My 2 cents:
Find a quality contractor with good references and the ability to demo a system for you showing both day and night.
OR
Go DIY with something like Wyze https://wyze.com/
Of course, you have to have some technical skills. And it's not even close to the quality you can get from better Dahua cameras. But it's very cost-effective.

I would only use IP/POE or HDCVI cameras.

I like the Dahua products. Especially the cameras with Starlight and integrated microphones. Like this https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?produc...dcvi-eyeball-2

Quality of image especially at night is more important than MP.

Unless the area is very well lit you'll want high-quality IR or if you have the budget Starlight-this allows for full color with very little artificial light.

Placement is critical. Most are placed too high and too far away from important areas. You end up with tops of heads that are unrecognizable.

If you live somewhere that gets very cold or hot make sure this is taken into consideration when choosing cameras.

For added convenience cameras and an NVR with the ability to detect people and cars vs just motion is key. With just motion, unless is really dialed in you're constantly getting notification. At some point it just becomes noise and you turn it off. It's great to get a notification with a package is delivered or when the pizza guy is here.

Make sure the mobile app and desktop app are user-friendly. Some are so hard to use that finding anything is impossible.

Being able to see the cameras, having a security sign in your yard, and stickers on the windows and doors are great deterrents.
I like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614900.00
      07-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

have read, but just dealing with something else, will come back, just wanted to say txs
BRB
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Can anyone give me advise on a couple of systems:
The 2 I'm looking at are, 1400 is really more than I want to spend.
Do you think I can upgrade the camera's at a later date ?
Is the 2MP analogue really that bad ?

Thoughts

I'm really looking for a view from my house covering my drive, and the walkway, mainly to see any hit/run drivers, so be good to get a car and plate
also the back garden

Is it also good to advertise the fact that you have CCTV, in so far as, a deterrent ?

txs

OPTION 1
HIKVISION 8MP (4K) CCTV
4KIP Camera 1
4K IP Camera 2
4 Channel NVR
1 TB Storage
Cat5 Cable
Back Boxes
Connections/Material
Networking/Programing
Online Remote Access
3 Years Warranty

Installation cost - $1,400+ tax

OPTION 2
OEM 2 ANALOG CCTV
2MP Camera 1
2MP Camera 2
4 Channel DVR
1TB Storage
Cat5 Cable
Back Boxes
Connections/Material
Networking/Programing
Online Remote Access
3 Years Warranty

Installation cost - $900+ tax

Neither. Anyone who says we can save you on the tax if you pay cash is crooked. I run two companies myself and hate when people ask for a discount for paying cash. I claim every dollar. The second you start ripping someone off (even the Gov) that tells me all I need to know about the person or company. I have clients who own companies that "need" to make cash disappear and I'll gladly take their cash but they know they are getting an invoice marked paid and paying sales tax.

Sorry for the rant but this is a huge issue that affects everyone more than they know. You never "save" on tax in the end.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614900.00
      07-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
I like the Dahua products. Especially the cameras with Starlight and integrated microphones. Like this https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?produc...dcvi-eyeball-2
My video system uses a re-branded Dahua NVR and cameras. The most important feature when dealing with more than two higher-resolution IP cameras is H.265 compression, which seems to be Dahua's niche.

I have four cameras outside to watch for deer/bears, one in the basement to watch for broken pipes and floods, and a PTZ one in a central part of the house that can see multiple rooms when we're not home.

I'm in the process of upgrading from an 8-camera 4-series NVR to a 16-camera 5-series. The 4-series only has a 100Mbps ethernet port, which is inadequate for a lot of 8MP cameras even with H.265 compression. Can't say that I'm a fan of the klunky web/app support or the choice of only using a USB mouse (with no keyboard support) to use the NVR with an HDMI monitor, but it works for the price and was easy enough to self-install as someone with a 40-year IT/networking background.

FWIW, a video export from one of my outdoor 8MP cameras went to our local police and the DA's office last month, as evidence in a possible homicide case. I also showed the video on my computer to three State Police detectives, and they remarked that it was the clearest footage that they have ever seen from a home video system.....
      07-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My video system uses a re-branded Dahua NVR and cameras. The most important feature when dealing with more than two higher-resolution IP cameras is H.265 compression, which seems to be Dahua's niche.

I have four cameras outside to watch for deer/bears, one in the basement to watch for broken pipes and floods, and a PTZ one in a central part of the house that can see multiple rooms when we're not home.

I'm in the process of upgrading from an 8-camera 4-series NVR to a 16-camera 5-series. The 4-series only has a 100Mbps ethernet port, which is inadequate for a lot of 8MP cameras even with H.265 compression. Can't say that I'm a fan of the klunky web/app support or the choice of only using a USB mouse (with no keyboard support) to use the NVR with an HDMI monitor, but it works for the price and was easy enough to self-install as someone with a 40-year IT/networking background.

FWIW, a video export from one of my outdoor 8MP cameras went to our local police and the DA's office last month, as evidence in a possible homicide case. I also showed the video on my computer to three State Police detectives, and they remarked that it was the clearest footage that they have ever seen from a home video system.....
I'm right there with you with over 30+ years IT/Network background. I setup and ran my own system as well. I have also setup about a dozen or so small business as well.

There was two incidents... I upgraded a system in a small construction company afterhours (in the early AM) for about 3 days, but I left the existing camera there as decoys. One of the guys was caught on video, supposedly, accidently bumping a video camera while moving some 2x4's.. .as it turns out, it was one of the decoy camera's that he hit... he didn't know that other cameras were installed and actually show's him looking up at the decoy camera to make sure it was out of view... and him stealing a generator..

Another incident was a restaurant that was broken into. They went into the back room and cut all of the cables and stole the DVR that I purposely left plugged in and put a label on saying "Security System, Do not touch"... The real one was above the ceiling tiles out of view.

I personally have a Hikvision bullet and Mini PTZ camera around my house. I run a dual system with an 8 port NVR that runs off of motion... and a custom built NVR running BlueIris that runs all of the other camera's. Two years ago my idiot neighbor though he was being funny and drove his car up my pristine lawn. I gave him two opportunities to admit what he had done... he told me he had no idea what I was talking about. I called the police, showed them the video, and to your point... he laughed and said.. that's clear as day. They arrested him on a few accounts and he had to pay $1000 in damages.. He then tried to file a complaint with the police stating that my security camera's invaded his privacy...LOL. The judge actually said to him... No, I looked at the video, it doesn't violate anything, you're just mad because you got caught...

Anyway... what I'm trying to say is... either design a good system yourself, or be a part of the design. Good Luck..!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614900.00
      07-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Honestly it has alot to do with your house design. A single story house with nice attic access is way easier to install cameras than a three story town house with no easy way to run wires.

The hardware is not expensive. I just bought a nice NVR system for my new offices for $500. At home I use wireless Ezviz cameras which work great. I tap USB power for the cameras from various lights around the house.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I'm not sure how this effects everyone ?

Both in the UK and in Canada I have found you can always barter the cost, true that some and mainly shopfronts will maybe throw in some parts, or give you a discount or something, but no tax taken off.

But almost EVERY (building) contractor either my wife has engaged or I dealt with in the UK, will do a cash price, will give a receipt and a written guarantee.

That is the rule and not the exception, only one contractor said they couldn't do a cash only.

In my dealings I haven't found cash only vendors to be dishonest or bad, in fact a vendor who DID charge tax, majorly screwed up a $25k basement project.

I used to be a Mobile DJ in the UK, and I did not do enough gigs to pay tax, even here I set up a company, but the amount of gig's I did was not worth being a sole proprietor or limited company. As such I did not charge any taxes.

When I was a freelance mobile DJ, the guy's who booked me I don't know if they charged tax or not, but when I went out as a paid employee I did the best job I could.

I think it's a stretch saying people who don't charge tax are crooked. As I said the majority if not all shopfronts ALWAYS charge tax and they are some of the worst people to deal with in some cases. And the majority of contractors/self-employed will give you the option of not paying tax and "some" are good.

I appreciate your post but it doesn't really help me from a technical perspective.

people who we've dealt with who've done tax free work (and been ok)

1> Car mechanics (uk and canada, at least 4 companies/individuals)
2> Car detailer (here in canada)
3> 2 electrician's (companies)
4> 2 building contractors
5> Numerous at least 10 quotes from contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Neither. Anyone who says we can save you on the tax if you pay cash is crooked. I run two companies myself and hate when people ask for a discount for paying cash. I claim every dollar. The second you start ripping someone off (even the Gov) that tells me all I need to know about the person or company. I have clients who own companies that "need" to make cash disappear and I'll gladly take their cash but they know they are getting an invoice marked paid and paying sales tax.

Sorry for the rant but this is a huge issue that affects everyone more than they know. You never "save" on tax in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

thanks all guy's

I have read with great interest your recommendations all though I have not replied individually.

It is mainly to get hit and run drivers, wife has been done twice, and 2ndly for theft or burglary etc.

I think I'm going to go with a 8mp system, I may look at some DIY systems, I'm in IT myself

feel free to add anything here I will always read your inputs and I may come back if I have any questions

THANK YOU ALL !!!!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614900.00
      07-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I have the simplisafe system (with cameras) at my daily place and have a few of the wyze units at my weekend place. I have great luck with both, but for the $ - I was astonished how good the Wyze units were and all the options you get even without the monthly monitoring package.

I have had the Simplisafe for 4-5 years and it has been top notch (Pay for the monthly service where cops are called and all that), but just bought a 2 for $30 deal on the wyze cams and have been very impressed with them and the app. I got some of their light controllers to that have a "vacation" mode that you click on when you leave and it randomly turns lights on and off like a time - only you just turn it on and off easy peasy. I probably have less than $50 in the items at the weekend place, but they give good peace of mind. Will even alert you if you have a smoke alarm or broken glass.

Happy with both if that helps at all.