BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections DIY and Maintenance

10-31-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
kevinlindemann
Rep
Drives: F13 M6, F80 M3, E92 M3, E36 M3

E46 M3 oil service frequency advice

I'm selling my brother-in-law's early 2005 E46 convertible. It's done 27K miles and is in brilliant condition. I had one prospective buyer contact me asking for the oil service history – stating he'd been told that E46's needed to be changed every year or every two years regardless of mileage (to be honest, can't recall if he said one or two, I think it was two). My brother-in-law's oil was changed mainly between 2.5 and 3 years, with one oil change being 5 years. The car of course had done limited mileage in that period. The prospective buyer has come back with a very low offer, saying he'd insist the rod bearings be replaced considering the oil service history (the car doesn't knock, makes no odd sounds, and is in top condition).

I'm not an E46 expert, but does anyone have insight on this? Is this legit, or just a very particular buyer? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
Jacob88
Banned
Rep
Drives: Golf, Citroën, Ranger

Hello, from what I know, the oil change of an M3 E46 is done either every year or every 10,000 miles so if your car does not have excessive mileage, I think it is within the norm. afterwards, there are guys who look for the little negative points and think that we will give them the car for free.
Appreciate 0