home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Importance of relationships (such as the one with your BMW Sales Advisor)

I was planning to send this weeks ago, but just never got around to it.

I thought it is a good idea to bring up the importance of relationships, even in places where they seem to be not that important... like buying a car. A person may think that squeezing a good deal out of BMW sales associate is a big win and that is all that is important.I may have thought like this for a short moment after I switched brands... Audi guy for 15 years... having a great relationship with my Audi SA. At that moment I thought that I would try to get a good deal out of the BMW SA... after all, I do not know him. I was then politely reminded of what I already knew from many life experiences, something I forgot in a momentary lack of judgement, i.e. relationships in life are very important.

6-7 years after I purchased my first BMW, my mother and I found my father a retirement present... 2020 X3MC. This was a result of a few autocross events from a couple of years back, when I started taking my dad with me and my daughter to the local Chicago BMW autocross chapter. At that time, we used my M550 and kept switching drivers. My father loved it so much that I knew that eventually we needed to get him his own autocross ready vehicle.

So about 3 weeks ago, my father came by my house and as he was pulling on my driveway I right away saw a huge screw in his front tire.... I walked around the car and saw another one in the rear tire. Both tires could not be fixed as screws were in the last part of the thread, right by the sidewall. All this happened on Friday night, right before Sunday’s autocross event that my dad was going to take his new, just broken in, car. I called Knauz BMW parts... tires are on backorder... called other dealers... same story... checked with Tire Rack... backordered... all this was a clear sign that we would not be going anywhere on Sunday.

Saturday morning I called my SA, Matt. What followed is a true testament to what relationships are about... Matt spoke with Knauz’s used car manager whose wife purchased X4MC and swapped factory Conti’s for all season tires. The Conti’s were stored at the dealership... Matt got their OK to give me 2 of their tires... Yes, I would reimburse them once I was able to purchase new ones. At the same time, a BMW tech, Sami, whom Matt recommended a while ago and someone I have been working with for the last 4-5 years, happened to be at Knauz working on his car. Sami paused working on his ride and clocked in to replace the tires. All this happened in a 2 hour time frame.
Next day my dad and I went to the Sears Center Arena and had a blast autocrossing.

To me, during current hard times, everything that happened makes it even more important/special.

Matt Pudlo is a true BMW enthusiast, true friend and someone any BMW owner can rely on... and I am glad to have met him along my life path.
Appreciate 7
allinon724892.00
cmyx6go15573.50
tdott3930.50
Soul_Glo13285.50
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Nothing really good or really bad to say about my sales rep. I've bought 3 new BMWs from him in 2019 and I don't even get a birthday card. I do appreciate that he's not pushy but I'm not getting the ass kissing I've come to expect from buying 3 new cars in one year. At least he's not a snob like the Porsche dealer to the north. However, the service advisors were great so far.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
relationships are a two way street. i am glad you found people at a dealer that cares like that. i wish it were more widespread
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

I agree completely - building and maintaining a good relationship in all sorts of walks of life is very important indeed. The sales chap I deal with myself has been absolutely first class - very responsive indeed and helps to sort things that are not really his job to get involved with. He's very likeable and provides very good advice. So much so that when my parents wanted a new car there was only one place they were going to go!

I try to put this sort of attitude into practice myself at all times - its not about being a pushover or anything, but being genuinely helpful to those around you is a quality that is sometimes in short supply... sadly...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I’d also add that a great relationship with your other SA (service advisor) is just as critical for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I rarely see or talk with a sales person as I do not buy vehicles all that often. However, IMHO a good relationship with a service advisor is more important.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I’d also add that a great relationship with your other SA (service advisor) is just as critical for the same reasons.
Absolutely agree, but BMW tech is even more important... he is the one who touches my car... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I agree. I had lots of issues with my previous 330e. But I had worked with my SA and the service manager and stayed friendly with them and let them know that my problem was with BMWNA, not them or the dealership.

finally, I walked into the dealership with two letters in my hand: one to the dealership General Manager and the other to BMWNA telling them that I was now invoking the Arizona lemon law.

the service manager told me that he agreed with me and asked me to give him one more chance to get BMWNA to agree to buy back the car. I agreed and BMWNA agreed and bought back my 330e.

If I had not stayed friendly with the service manager, he would have just let me go ahead and fight it out with BMWNA. Instead I had a good experience and was able to order my new 530e exactly as I wanted it and BMWNA agreed to wait for the buyback until the ordered car arrived.

So...yes...when one can it is good to stay friendly with the staff at the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
I rarely see or talk with a sales person as I do not buy vehicles all that often. However, IMHO a good relationship with a service advisor is more important.
Agreed... however, my sales associate, Matt, acts more like a quarterback... he is able to connect Sales, parts, service associate and BMW tech... my situation with tires is a perfect example of that... he is not just a person who sold me a car, he is there throughout the whole ownership period...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Great story, thanks for sharing. I wish we all had this type of experience with our dealerships.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      09-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

It's great when you can find real people at the dealership. Unfortunately, in my experience it is quite rare and like others have stated relationships are a two way street.

Unfortunately too many dealer salespeople and even some service advisors treat you like an adversary right out of the gate, or they take advantage of you when you treat them well. You can't just create a great relationship with anyone, it depends on the disposition of the other person.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I've bought 3 new BMWs from him in 2019 and I don't even get a birthday card. I do appreciate that he's not pushy but I'm not getting the ass kissing I've come to expect from buying 3 new cars in one year.
Having sold BMWs since 1976—when 2002 was a model and not a year—I have to say I've never once sent a birthday card. I have a business relationship of trust with my clients and I'll do anything I can for them in that respect. I've always felt the sending of birthday cards was a shallow response and I just can those from my insurance agents every year. It's much more important for me to be there when my customers need me, whether that's when they're replacing a car, or need help navigating other aspects of interaction with our store. I can help them understand their cars, loan them cars when there are no more loaners, interface when they can't get a contact for a service appointment, come to their house if they can't pair their garage doors, jump-start a car when they've left it in the garage too long, rescue them when stranded when BMW Roadside hasn't in several hours. You know, meaningful support that actually requires my expertise and contacts. If this turns into a personal relationship where we become friends, then maybe I'll remember their birthday and send them a text. I've had some families as BMW customers for three generations. That wasn't from mailing a card.

Does anyone actually think receiving a card from a sales advisor shows any real interest beyond the self-serving keeping-in-touch for future sales? Let me know and maybe I'll break out the card and envelope stash. I'd rather be available when they need me.
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      09-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post

Does anyone actually think receiving a card from a sales advisor shows any real interest beyond the self-serving keeping-in-touch for future sales? Let me know and maybe I'll break out the card and envelope stash. I'd rather be available when they need me.
I think your instinct is correct and you articulate very well why birthday cards are awkward. It's an attempt to court the customer on a more personal level and while the intent is appreciated - I think any nice message or card that doesn't try to exploit the birthday as a crutch would be more appreciated and better chance it's taken as genuine
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

I have a lot better luck with service advisors than sales advisors. Not making any judgments or assumptions as to why, it’s just my experience. They also tend to stick around longer. But either way I guard and cultivate those relationships like any valued business relationship. It’s paid off in them going to bat for me with HQ, looking the other way on mods, discounts, and freebies. Hope y’all find your SA ‘soulmates’ and never let them go.

My Porsche sales advisor has gone to bat for me on GT car allocations and come through, as well as basically made everything i want happen on other cars, special orders, invites to Porsche events with comps, etc. Our relationship has evolved from me squeezing him for every dollar, to me trusting that he’ll give me the best deal he can (he ends up competitive on normal Porsche cars and at-MSRP on the high-demand GT’s. I’m totally good with that). In return i am loyal to him and send him referral business. What i like is that i know I’m small potatoes compared to the ridiculous money floating around the area, but he still prioritizes me.

My Mclaren SA is a newer relationship, but it’s evolving the same way. This is why I’m going to look at these brands before the others. Yes, it’s partially because of the cars, but the relationship is a big part of it too.

I had a great BMW guy locally but lost touch with him. Unfortunately i don’t see myself buying a new BMW any time soon because i hate the direction they’re going in, but i hope i can find the right one if i come back to the franchise. Preferably someone with great legs
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      09-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Those of you that get to know your SAs, do you have a permanently assigned one? The dealer I go to rotates me through their entire staff, so I don't generally have an opportunity to get to know them

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You guys use the dealer? Oh. New cars.

On topic, just be nice to people and let them do their jobs well. I don't give gifts or expect any. Total silliness.
      09-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #17
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Honestly it’s about relationships in general. I try to treat people how I want to be treated even when they are poopyheads. Sometimes it works to my benefit, sometimes it doesn’t. I just realize people do what people do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
Those of you that get to know your SAs, do you have a permanently assigned one? The dealer I go to rotates me through their entire staff, so I don't generally have an opportunity to get to know them
With my local dealer before you can select an appointment time you click on your preferred SA and then it shows the available time slots.

If your dealer doesn't have that on their website (and you've had one that stood out from the others) then I would think you can phone them and say, "I would like to make a reservation with my favorite service advisor X".
Appreciate 1
kolosy1414.00
      09-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

My original SA left. My sales advisor recommended a replacement. Once I agreed she is my SA for any purpose. no rotation. Of course, if I were unhappy i could request a different advisor.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Every time I have gone back, my SA was gone. I developed a good relationship with the first two over two cars, each, but by the time of the third, it's "why bother"? Went to a completely different dealership for my last car. On the other hand, the service rep is consistent and a good person to have a relationship with.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #21
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
After an interaction or two I'll have the person's direct email and cell # anyway. So I email or text them directly, instead of making an appointment thru someone else. Once I feel like we have the rapport/repeat business comfort level going, of course

Also, typically the online reservation system will have a drop down menu that allows you to select the SA name. Sounds like your shop doesn't allow that option?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #22
pasta
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Great to hear. There's lots of good people in the industry who really do like to build relationships and help others, but for the ones that don't give a shit or try to rip you off, it's usually a result of the brand (and sometimes the company itself) who incentivize sales/service advisors to the point where they need take advantage of customers.

F82 ///M4 | Ducati 959 Panigale

Previous: E92 335i | E30 325i
Appreciate 0