BMW E46 M3 - Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

08-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

I’m being gifted an (I think) E21 323i in need of repairs - any tips?

Hey guys,

I have a family member that's giving of his E21 323i, I believe. He hasn't told me exactly what car it is but that's what it seems like. The interior is garbage, with AC/heater that doesn't work. It's going to be a project car and I'm very excited about it.

Is there anything I should check first to figure out what works and things to replace/fix immediately to make sure it stays in good working condition? I'm not currently in a place where I can do tons of work to it but I do want to keep it around and fix it up as time goes on.

And any tips on how to restore older cars or things to do to keep them maintained until major work can be done to them?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
A project car and you don’t have a place do work on it? Why are you doing this?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This seems to be a difficult question to weigh in on given that none of us, including you, even know what the car is. Maybe once you have the deets and pictures, people can start to help
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Good place to start:

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...w-e21-3-series
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
A project car and you don’t have a place do work on it? Why are you doing this?
Sorry, guess I should've worded it better: I have a place to work on it, I actually have 2, but time is a little tight sometimes, being in residency makes it tough to spare any time other than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
This seems to be a difficult question to weigh in on given that none of us, including you, even know what the car is. Maybe once you have the deets and pictures, people can start to help
Yeah, you're right. I guess I was a bit excited and jumped the gun on asking questions, haha. I just don't want the car to just fall apart between me getting time to work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Thanks so much! I'll read it over before I get the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Is the 323 running ?

First thing is to get it up on a lift.

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/...-services.html
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
If it is a E21 323i, it us not a US model, so I would be very surprised if it has A/C.

Everything engine and transmission related is different from the US models, so very few repair parts are stocked in the US. When I has a '79 323i I had to import things like the distributor cap, plug wires, fuel distribution pipes, but they look like they are more available now. I had to buy some special Bosch tools to work on the Bosch K-Jetronic injection.

When it was running well it was a blast to drive, and was 3 seconds faster 0-60 than the US version 320i. It also had rear disk brakes where the US versions had rear drums. Mine also had a limited slip differential.

As long as you understand the challenges of restoring and maintaining a gray market car, it will be worth the effort.
      08-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is the 323 running ?

First thing is to get it up on a lift.

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/...-services.html
It is running. The car is being daily driven right now, haha. They do maintenance on the car at regular intervals. I rode in it once, and it runs pretty well for the age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
If it is a E21 323i, it us not a US model, so I would be very surprised if it has A/C.

Everything engine and transmission related is different from the US models, so very few repair parts are stocked in the US. When I has a '79 323i I had to import things like the distributor cap, plug wires, fuel distribution pipes, but they look like they are more available now. I had to buy some special Bosch tools to work on the Bosch K-Jetronic injection.

When it was running well it was a blast to drive, and was 3 seconds faster 0-60 than the US version 320i. It also had rear disk brakes where the US versions had rear drums. Mine also had a limited slip differential.

As long as you understand the challenges of restoring and maintaining a gray market car, it will be worth the effort.
That's good to know! I didn't realize this car wasn't really available in the US. I know originally the car was bought by my cousin and he bought it to restore then got the engine in a running state and decided it wasn't worth it (he had a lot of life issues going on) and gave it to his dad as an extra car to help them get around. I guessed that it would be kind of challenging and expensive but I'm really excited about it and I can't wait to get my hands dirty again. This is also my first restoration car...so...I'm just kind of lost but incredibly excited!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
It is running. The car is being daily driven right now, haha. They do maintenance on the car at regular intervals. I rode in it once, and it runs pretty well for the age.

That's good to know! I didn't realize this car wasn't really available in the US. I know originally the car was bought by my cousin and he bought it to restore then got the engine in a running state and decided it wasn't worth it (he had a lot of life issues going on) and gave it to his dad as an extra car to help them get around. I guessed that it would be kind of challenging and expensive but I'm really excited about it and I can't wait to get my hands dirty again. This is also my first restoration car...so...I'm just kind of lost but incredibly excited!
hworang the first thing you should do is join the BMW Club of America.
There are regional sections.

There are some super nice roads in Northern Baltimore County where even at the speed limit a well sorted 323 would be a really nice drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
First thing is to find any literatures, photos of the model in order to get acquainted with the car. Second, like someone mentioned, BMWCCA has some plethora of information and people that are knowledgeable; therefore join the club. Third, get yourself some good jacks like ‘quickjack’, and good variety of tools.
Tackle any rust that you may find. Then start with routine maintenance. Cosmetics such as repainting or leather replacement should be left last.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
eBay!

sorry, I couldn’t resist. Good luck and enjoy if a project!
Appreciate 0