E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

01-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #67
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4zoom View Post
Aww, look at all the BMW fanboys getting all butt-hurt because someone actually said something bad about the M3.

Can it be? The RS4 is actually a better car than the M3?

This should be a sticky:

Rule number 1: You shall not say ANYTHING remotely bad about the M3 in any shape or form, we here at M3post worship the car and cannot tolerate anything negative directed toward the M3.

We do NOT take criticism of any kind as we are unable to process the thought that our M3 is not perfect.

Seriously, you guys need to wake up and realize that the M3 is not sent from Heaven. The world does not revolve around the M3. I'm willing to bet everyone on here subscribes to Car and driver.
Like you would know ya tool, ya have one post (clearly signed up to flame the m3) and yes the m3 is from heaven and was engineered by jesus.

Go drive your srt-4 toolbag. Audi plays catch-up with BMW, bmw will always be a more respected car company among true drivers.

P.S. The new m3 is much much better then the rs4, the last m3 was barely slower despite its 100 hp differential with newer rs4 (which was clearly engineered to beat the m3) The new m3 which has similar power to the RS-4 destroys the audi.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #68
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart View Post
BMW is now trying to sell 100,000 M3's a year by their own words, and you can't do this without diluting ///M the brand.
Not to Flyingfart but to the author of the blog:

100k M3s a year?! Comeon check your facts before writing an article.

BMW sold about ~1.4 million cars in 2008, so the author is saying 1 in 14 cars will be and M3? Comeon... a kid can figure this out. What a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #69
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4zoom View Post
Aww, look at all the BMW fanboys getting all butt-hurt because someone actually said something bad about the M3.

Can it be? The RS4 is actually a better car than the M3?

This should be a sticky:

Rule number 1: You shall not say ANYTHING remotely bad about the M3 in any shape or form, we here at M3post worship the car and cannot tolerate anything negative directed toward the M3.

We do NOT take criticism of any kind as we are unable to process the thought that our M3 is not perfect.

Seriously, you guys need to wake up and realize that the M3 is not sent from Heaven. The world does not revolve around the M3. I'm willing to bet everyone on here subscribes to Car and driver.
I just Googled an SRT4 (we don't have them here):HA HA HA HA HA HA HA you crack me up man !
      02-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #70
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

RS4 is not better than M3 as far as performance goes. However RS4 is one of the only hot sedans with four wheel drive and thats the special thing about it. C63 and RS4 are good copies of M3 and each has their own market and attracts their own crowd of people. Yet almost everyone who is knowledgable about cars will admit that the M3 is the best performance car in its sector of the market.

Regarding the E92 being not as good as the E46 I have to say the E46 was very very good car but the E92 is even better on every aspect. However the E92 is not as enaging and interactive as the E46 but it is definitely a lot faster. Personally i do prefer the E46 but its just me.
      02-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #71
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Kind of a useless thread. What are buying the M3 for? If you are buying it to be a race car then you are retarded. This car brings balance between performance and luxury. Are you going to drive that GT-R as your daily driver? I highly doubt it unless you like getting your ass kicked all over the road. The GT-R is a track monster and is designed for that sole purpose, the M3 is not. As well, enough with this 335 garbage, I had one, guess what I did with it? People who say this obviously have not driven both the 335 and the M3. It doesn't compare with the M3 unless you think similar 0-60 times (vs. a chipped 335 of course) are everything (enjoy your blown turbos and limp modes btw). The M3 defeats the 335 everywhere else. To each their own but at the end of the day I want a car where I can relax and enjoy it for its luxury or press a button and bring a smile to my face with its performance.
More or less agreed, but I don't think the GT-R is a real track monster because it's actually too heavy...I used to have a 335i as well and as a DD the low end torque is very very handy/nice in traffic but it has no soul like the M3. imho.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #72
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I am also surprised why so many people are disappointed with the M3 because IT IS a much better car than before, the biggest problem the M3 has is that the competition has caught up and in one case far exceeded it.

I don't think the current RS4 is a better driver's car but it is a much better overall car if you don't value tail out entertainment as the number one priority. The same is true for the C63, it too is a better daily drive but falls apart when pushed to the same extremes as you can do with the M3. The only car which easily out classes the M3 is the mighty GTR but then it was never built to take on the M3, it had it's sights set on much bigger fish to fry but Nissan priced it so competitively that potential M3 customer also ended up as it's competition as well.

The problem is that some people's expectations were too high.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #73
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

@ footie why do you think the RS4 is a better overall car than a E9x M3?

A serious question because 'Quattro' alone won't do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #74
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
@ footie why do you think the RS4 is a better overall car than a E9x M3?

A serious question because 'Quattro' alone won't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footie
I don't think the current RS4 is a better driver's car but it is a much better overall car if you don't value tail out entertainment as the number one priority. The same is true for the C63, it too is a better daily drive but falls apart when pushed to the same extremes as you can do with the M3.
I notice you only picked up on the RS4 comments and totally disregarded the ones about the C63.

You openly admit that entertainment is your top priority so anything I would write to explain that position would be irrelevant in your opinion. But you are right in thinking that part of it would be down to it having Quattro, in the same way as part of the reason for the same comments on the C63 is partly down to the fact of it's incredibly torquey engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #75
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Footie, a C63 is an excellent car, but I don't want an automatic transmission.
Otherwise I 'd have bought a C63.

The RS4 is not a better DD than a M3, because it's heavier, slower, less agile, and has a less responsive chassis. My 335i stock was almost as fast, only beyond 240kmh the RS4 was faster. The roadholding is ok, but a bit boring for such a car. Any more questions?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #76
ortontom
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 and e39 M5

having been lucky enough to drive an e92 M3 and an C63 (with performance pack) back to back last summer.

The C63 felt a more advanced package, like a touring car with a huge amount of torque.....

I love M3's and am currently E46 M3 owner.......

Saying that...

On a track the M3 (in fact previously someone mentioned an evo/sti/skyline would be a quicker track toy.....well not faster than a E92 M3...they are quick) would be quicker aroudn would whip the C63, but driving a C63 in anger around Italy going through concrete underpasses and kicking down producing the fab V8 noise....it was like nothing else....

The new E92 M3 hadnt felt as fast driving it day to day, and with the torq rolled off to make the engine rev higher for more BHP....it felt like a civic type R in its character....does that make sense??? High reving V8....it also hadnt felt a leap in development over the E46. Take the new GTR, thats where BMW should be near....leading the pack...

downside to the c63, yes the gearbox

RS4 looks like a 1.9 tdi dressed up

how did i get to italy from the UK?? - well in an M5 2001, so Im kind of biased to torq on that journey.......
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #77
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Footie, a C63 is an excellent car, but I don't want an automatic transmission.
Otherwise I 'd have bought a C63.

The RS4 is not a better DD than a M3, because it's heavier, slower, less agile, and has a less responsive chassis. My 335i stock was almost as fast, only beyond 240kmh the RS4 was faster. The roadholding is ok, but a bit boring for such a car. Any more questions?
That is a surprise that you would buy the C63 if it didn't have an automatic gearbox. I too looked at the C63 but in the end the gearbox and that mighty torque made my decision for me, I found it's ESP light to constantly flicker even in the dry/cold day and just knew that the slightest whiff of rain or frost would demand more respect than my wife would be able to give. Great car but only really for the accomplished driver.

I wouldn't agree that the RS4 is not a better DD than the M3, in the dry the M3 is easily the more rewarding to drive while in the wet the reverse is true with the RS4 offering more performance and ability to be still driven briskly. I can that a draw or at the very least a decision that depends on which you value more. There is area where the M3 excels and other where both the RS4 and C63 are better but each perform and excel at different disciplines, the M3 in it's entertainment, quality of chassis and excitement of pushing to the redline, the C63 with it's effortless speed, space and it's advantage/disadvantage of having a proper automatic, the RS4 has it's all weather ability, added traction and exclusivity.

But lets get back on topic and discuss this disappoint of the E9? M3. I don't know about you but I have spoke to many M3 owners and none have been disappointed with their purchase, myself included. I doubt there is too many if any would feel different than that on this or any forum which leds me to believe it's non E9? M3 drivers who are the ones complaining, probably 335 owners no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #78
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
...the RS4 has it's all weather ability, added traction and exclusivity.
IMHO doesn't that make it a better DD, exclusivity has nothing to do with a better DD, I don't live on the Northpole and don't have a gravel rallystage in my backyard you know.

Wintertyres> AWD.

Back ontopic
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #79
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IMHO doesn't that make it a better DD, exclusivity has nothing to do with a better DD, I don't live on the Northpole and don't have a gravel rallystage in my backyard you know.

Wintertyres> AWD.

Back ontopic
Wintertyres are for snow which is laying and at least 3~4 inches think minimum. Where I live and most of Europe where it rains at least 30~40% of the year the added advantage of decent traction from an awd system could be considered a benefit to daily driving.

At what point will do move back on to topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #80
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Wintertyres are for snow which is laying and at least 3~4 inches think minimum. Where I live and most of Europe where it rains at least 30~40% of the year the added advantage of decent traction from an awd system could be considered a benefit to daily driving.

At what point will do move back on to topic.
Agreed with the wintertyres-snow thing.(London atm....)The other thing:Whatever makes you feel better. I don't have any tractionproblems with my car unless I push it....and I make a benefit of those traction'problems' because of the fine M lsd

AWD in our part of EU is unnecessary and a bit boring imo.

But we keep going around in circles(//M style), sorry about that.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #81
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed with the wintertyres-snow thing.(London atm....)The other thing:Whatever makes you feel better. I don't have any tractionproblems with my car unless I push it....and I make a benefit of those traction'problems' because of the fine M lsd

AWD in our part of EU is unnecessary and a bit boring imo.

But we keep going around in circles(//M style), sorry about that.

Cheers
Robin
Yes we do seem to be repeating ourselves. Point is which ever makes you happiest, seem people will curb the speed and prefer to take it easier in slippery conditions for the thrill of owning the M3 when the weather does take a turn for the better while others may take the view that the other (awd) provides 95% of the thrill when the weather is great but proves any less exciting when the rain falls.

I suppose coming so recently from the latter I am feeling the blues owning the M3, having all that ability and unable to use it. Hopefully the summer will cure me of my winter blues.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #82
unique
SiDeWaYz
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Taken from a blog so pls dont flame me but seek your opinion or personal analysis:

synosis:

The best two M3's were the first generation and the E46 M3. The reason why is at the time, they had absolutely no competitors for the price (at least in the USA, since the GT-R still destroyed M3's everywhere else). The E46 M3, when released in 2001 not only looked FAR better than all other E46's, it performed head and shoulders above them as well. They absolutely crushed all their competition at their price. But now, BMW has a huge problem. The first is internal. BMW is now trying to sell 100,000 M3's a year by their own words, and you can't do this without diluting ///M the brand. They had to soften it from the previous gen, and although its a great car, its a compromise between luxury and track performance. It absolutely is NOT a track car. Its just another car you can take to the track. Also, now you have other problems in that the Audi RS4 can go toe to toe with the M3, and the brand new Nissan GT-R absolutely destroys it at the same price on any field anywhere regardless of the test. The M3 has been dethroned. And this is coming from someone who has a E46 and E93. Face it, the legend of the M3 is just history now. BMW has resorting to allow the ///M to stand for MARKETING instead of motorsport now

your thoughts?

omg i have been saying this for the longest time everrrr...

i just get flamed for it everytime..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #83
emthree4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 e92

I find more and clean e46 M4 lately, seems like folks are getting these nostalgic beasts at a drastic reduced price

... Im tempted to get one myself for my DD
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #84
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

E90 and E92 are amazing machines... more versatile than the E46... I don't agree with the OP title.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #85
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

This guy is a jerk off...probably one of those guys who bases a car's performance on one trip around the block.

Not sure why so many love to hate on the M3...it's a bad ass car and outperforms 97% of the cars out there. Yes, the GTR outperforms an M3 in terms of performance...then again, a GTR also outperforms a $225,000 F430.

At the end of the day....the M3 will wipe the floors with almost any car out there, it looks amazing, the build quality is great and the luxury is awesome. I can take it to the track out of the box but also pick up a client or drive the boss to a meeting the very next day.

The only ones who talk $hit about the M3 are those who have never driven one or cannot afford one.

If I wanted an SRT4 or an STI I would buy one (or two, three)...actually I had an STI and a G35 and drove my brothers 350Z all the time. I've driven my buds 360 Modena and drove in many of 911TT...and yes, the M3 is badass.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #86
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Damn, the E92 M3 not the dentist's choice #1? I'm so disappointed...

Best regards, south
As a dentist I support the new M3 fully....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #87
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Taken from a blog so pls dont flame me but seek your opinion or personal analysis:

synosis:

The best two M3's were the first generation and the E46 M3. The reason why is at the time, they had absolutely no competitors for the price (at least in the USA, since the GT-R still destroyed M3's everywhere else). The E46 M3, when released in 2001 not only looked FAR better than all other E46's, it performed head and shoulders above them as well. They absolutely crushed all their competition at their price. But now, BMW has a huge problem. The first is internal. BMW is now trying to sell 100,000 M3's a year by their own words, and you can't do this without diluting ///M the brand. They had to soften it from the previous gen, and although its a great car, its a compromise between luxury and track performance. It absolutely is NOT a track car. Its just another car you can take to the track. Also, now you have other problems in that the Audi RS4 can go toe to toe with the M3, and the brand new Nissan GT-R absolutely destroys it at the same price on any field anywhere regardless of the test. The M3 has been dethroned. And this is coming from someone who has a E46 and E93. Face it, the legend of the M3 is just history now. BMW has resorting to allow the ///M to stand for MARKETING instead of motorsport now

your thoughts?
my thoughts just blew the doors off an e 46 with my m3 sedan any questions? this happened about 1 hour ago
Appreciate 0