Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We just got issued AXON 3 body worn cameras and Samsung Galaxy cellular phones. The AXON software installed on the phones allow us to review video from our cameras on the fly and add metadata. I really didn't want cams, but at least the department purchased good equipment.
I have mixed feelings about the body cams, at first I was strongly against them and mostly because of bureaucratic BS issues that my old department would pull with stuff like this but given the footage that they capture they can often clear things up for officers involved in all kinds of things that would end up in a public outcry....still often does but at least they provide good evidence for court, you racist cops are still going to get hammered in the court of public opinion though.....it's good to be retired.
Your final point hammers home my sentiment as well. We've already seen the cameras help (...e.g....a deputy was involved in a TC and the camera recorded the green light, so it really helped him out) and we've already seen the cameras hurt (...e.g. Sgts looking for stuff to ding deputies and administer days off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson.e88 View Post
If you were to pull over two people in the same situation for speeding (10, 15mph over) would you be more likely to give a ticket to the person with the radar detector?
Not at all. Demeanor, attitude, etc. weighs more heavily than anything else.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #1146
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Axon coming soon here too

UNFORTUNATELY nobody involved IT in the decision so they have no idea where/how the docking station will connect to the interwebz
vreihen1614883.50
Murf99314114.00
      10-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #1147
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Axon coming soon here too

UNFORTUNATELY nobody involved IT in the decision so they have no idea where/how the docking station will connect to the interwebz
Damn! You would think IT would've been the first group consulted.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      10-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #1148
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And the new cameras in the parks? Well, what computer in Dispatch are you going to mount the PTZ controller? Oh, you have no idea? And just where is that camera station going to connect, and what bandwidth are you using to get the data back to Dispatch?

Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      10-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #1149
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I understand one of the huge issues is storing and cataloguing all the video. Toronto Police for example is about 5500 members, so 2000 or so front line uniform.....imagine how much video get's shot every 24 hours. And how long does it have to be retained. Here in Canada they are talking 7 years minimum.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
      10-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #1150
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@Sedan_Clan how ya been? How's everything with work going?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #1151
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson.e88 View Post
If you were to pull over two people in the same situation for speeding (10, 15mph over) would you be more likely to give a ticket to the person with the radar detector?
You shouldn't mount the detector where they can see it. You're doing it wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #1152
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And the new cameras in the parks? Well, what computer in Dispatch are you going to mount the PTZ controller? Oh, you have no idea? And just where is that camera station going to connect, and what bandwidth are you using to get the data back to Dispatch?

Your frustration is apparent. Haha!

Quote:
Quote:
I understand one of the huge issues is storing and cataloguing all the video. Toronto Police for example is about 5500 members, so 2000 or so front line uniform.....imagine how much video get's shot every 24 hours. And how long does it have to be retained. Here in Canada they are talking 7 years minimum.
AXON retains our videos on their servers. We have over 10,000 sworn so the rollout is in five station increments. My station was/is one of the first five stations to be outfitted with the cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
@Sedan_Clan how ya been? How's everything with work going?
I'm doing well. I'm counting my days until I can leave patrol and go to a more relaxing spot in the county. How are you?
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614883.50
rebekahb3128.50
      10-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #1153
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
What would change for you if anything if you were told that you can't have a gun on the job?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #1154
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Current +2 years is our retention schedule. They can't possibly be doing that with a Synology rack station for the park cameras, but the new PIO who is putting it all together (yes, PIO, not IT) is planning on 30 days
      10-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #1155
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Current +2 years is our retention schedule. They can't possibly be doing that with a Synology rack station for the park cameras, but the new PIO who is putting it all together (yes, PIO, not IT) is planning on 30 days
Jeff Bezos will be getting richer as the video files grow. Gotta love Amazon S3 for giving the world unlimited disk storage...for about $25/TB/month. Buy AMZN for your retirement portfolio.....
      10-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #1156
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
One would think that lawyers and politicians would dictate retention periods, not IT or end users. Lord knows that I have 5 outstanding litigation holds for "everything, forever" right now...and I work in private academia!
      10-24-2020, 02:59 AM   #1157
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
What would change for you if anything if you were told that you can't have a gun on the job?
That wouldn't happen in the U.S., but I'll play. I would happily quit. Our criminals here are heavily armed.
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
Chapperss488.50
      10-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #1158
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
That wouldn't happen in the U.S., but I'll play. I would happily quit. Our criminals here are heavily armed.
Thanks for playing. That's a big leap of logic from "our criminals are armed" to "I'll quit". From pro gun arguments I gather that criminals are always armed independently of gun laws. You have experience of being attacked by an armed criminal and helped by having a gun yourself and that's why you'd quit or ...?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #1159
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for playing. That's a big leap of logic from "our criminals are armed" to "I'll quit". From pro gun arguments I gather that criminals are always armed independently of gun laws. You have experience of being attacked by an armed criminal and helped by having a gun yourself and that's why you'd quit or ...?
It's not a big leap of logic at all. We pull illegal guns off of criminals EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes it's near misses on being shot. Why would I continue to do this job when they can shoot, but I can't shoot back?!?! That would be beyond stupid.
Appreciate 5
Chapperss488.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614883.50
ntg442887.50
      10-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #1160
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
You what? Seems very logical to me - You expect an officer to confront the worse of the worse in a country where guns are legal (so you have loads of them) and they would quit if you took their force multiplier away.

Coming from the UK - our cops are armed with Batons and I think these days they all have Pepper/CS spray as well - worst they can expect to come up upon (within a statically relevant percentage) is a knife - I would imagine a lot of the UK police force would quit also if you took away the baton!

Seems to me you have an agenda you want to push but can`t quite formulate your arguments correctly.... make me think it`s someone else`s agenda but then that`s me assuming something
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614883.50
      10-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #1161
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Quote:
You what? Seems very logical to me - You expect an officer to confront the worse of the worse in a country where guns are legal (so you have loads of them) and they would quit if you took their force multiplier away.

Coming from the UK - our cops are armed with Batons and I think these days they all have Pepper/CS spray as well - worst they can expect to come up upon (within a statically relevant percentage) is a knife - I would imagine a lot of the UK police force would quit also if you took away the baton!

Seems to me you have an agenda you want to push but can`t quite formulate your arguments correctly.... make me think it`s someone else`s agenda but then that`s me assuming something
I think there's an agenda here as well. Coupling that with an August 2020 join date increases my skepticism.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #1162
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Quote:
I think there's an agenda here as well. Coupling that with an August 2020 join date increases my skepticism.
I joined in August toooooooooooooo

FYI - Wrote my reply before you posted your comment (edit for spelling after) - didn`t think you needed standing up for but wanted to 'wade' in anyway.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #1163
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I joined in August toooooooooooooo

FYI - Wrote my reply before you posted your comment (edit for spelling after) - didn`t think you needed standing up for but wanted to 'wade' in anyway.
Haha! You're good.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #1164
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Quote:
Haha! You're good.

TY - didn`t notice previous - you tag yourself as Brazil.

Brazil seems particularly hardcore!

I watch a self protection guy on YT (ASP(if you know, you know)) and Brazil seems to be particularly unhinged (strong comment when dealing with the subject matter ASP deals with(which are all shootings and how to best survive them)).

Don`t feel that you need to comment dude as I asked no questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #1165
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha! You're good.

TY - didn`t notice previous - you tag yourself as Brazil.

Brazil seems particularly hardcore!

I watch a self protection guy on YT (ASP(if you know, you know)) and Brazil seems to be particularly unhinged (strong comment when dealing with the subject matter ASP deals with(which are all shootings and how to best survive them)).

Don`t feel that you need to comment dude as I asked no questions.
The Brazil thing is just my connection to the country through Capoeira (...and I speak the language). I'm a born and raised Californian. Lol!

Brazil is rough in certain parts; more so as a tourist if you are unaware of what neighborhood you're venturing into. Speaking the language makes things much easier, but it's still dangerous in certain areas. I used to go every two years, but I haven't been since 2015-2016.
Appreciate 1
Chapperss488.50
      10-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #1166
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

There are more and more armed coppers in the UK. Guns proliferate all criminal societies and knives should not in my opinion be dealt with armed with a whistle and a baton....sorry, the only acceptable weapon is a firearm......an armed officer could be supposed by one armed with a CEW or Baton round. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614883.50