BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

11-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Smart Watches

I realize this will probably be a dark topic amongst the serious real watches in this forum, but they are still watches, right?

I've been considering a smart watch for a variety of reasons, but I'm really not interested in the shape of the Apple. I much prefer a round watch. I really like the look of the Garmin Fenix line.

That said, I have an iPhone (and probably always will as long as I continue to work at my company - iPhones are mandatory for our software uses), so would I be locked into using an Apple Watch? If no, what other options are on the table?

For me, my phone is typically in my pocket, and I find my hands are preoccupied more than not. I can see the benefit of glancing down at my watch to see who is calling or texting to determine if I need to stop what I'm doing and answer. Sounds very 21st century, and believe me, I'm against this type of stuff. But if it can be beneficial and make me more efficient, why not?

Further, my hobbies generally include outside. Camping, hiking, "overlanding" as it's called now, cycling and mountain biking... The Garmin looks to be in tune with a lot of my stuff, but I'm concerned that it won't fully work with Apple (seems to be geared towards Android?).

So what's everyone using out there? What do you like, what don't you like?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
I am a big mechanical watch addict, but I have owned an Apple watch since it was launched. It is definitely great for the things you mentioned. For me the additional benefits of the smart watch are - workouts and sports. For example, Apple Watch (and others may also do the same, but I have not experience) allows you to sync music from your phone so that when you are at the gym (or anywhere) you can leave your phone in your locker and play music from your watch onto bluetooth headphones. I also use it for Golf. I have an app that gives me yardage on the golf course so that I can easily glance at my watch without needing the phone. These are just some of the benefits. I am sure others will chime in. Hope this helps in your decision.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

The Samsung Galaxy watches are compatible with iOS 9.0 and above, iPhone 5 and above. The are round faced and look pretty sharp too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
The Samsung Galaxy watches are compatible with iOS 9.0 and above, iPhone 5 and above. The are round faced and look pretty sharp too.
You have my attention. I hadn't even considered looking at Samsung as I automatically assumed it wouldn't work with an iPhone. That is a great looking watch.

Do you have any experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I have the Samsung Watch. I believe it is the third version. I upgraded from a Frontier S3. I kept the S3 and wear it when working in the yard, running, etc. I have a nice leather band on the new one.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/we...m-r800nzsaxar/

I have had this less than 2 years, but the new one looks tempting with the trade in discount. I love these watches. I have not had one problem except that the battery life started getting short on the Frontier. I wear the new one for days before I need a charge.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I have the Samsung Watch. I believe it is the third version. I upgraded from a Frontier S3. I kept the S3 and wear it when working in the yard, running, etc. I have a nice leather band on the new one.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/we...m-r800nzsaxar/

I have had this less than 2 years, but the new one looks tempting with the trade in discount. I love these watches. I have not had one problem except that the battery life started getting short on the Frontier. I wear the new one for days before I need a charge.
I was looking at the same, but the 42mm. I prefer the aesthetic of this over the newer 3. I'd like the 46mm, but I'm a middle-of-the-bell-curve kind of guy at 5'10" / 175 lbs. I think a 46mm face would just be too much as much as I like the shape and extra battery life.

Thanks for the tip. I've been chasing around looking and came up empty handed brushing Samsung aside assuming it wouldn't be iOS compatible. This may be the ticket. I see they are compliant with Strava, too
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have a Garmin 830 and it works great with my iPhone. Text messages appear on the screen while I am riding.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

I have an Apple Watch as my daily watch. Love that I can just leave my phone and do most of what I need on the watch if I want to. Use it for sports/activity tracking and as mentioned great for golf for yardage and score keeping. Previously I had a garmin and switched to the Apple for more useable phone features (responding to texts, answering calls when the phone isn’t handy etc.)

My wife has a garmin vivoactive and loves it. Gives her all the notifications she wants and decides if she needs to answer on her phone or not. She also uses it to track activity and golf. I find the gps on the garmin is more accurate than on the Apple Watch.

The only thing I hate about the Apple Watch is the battery life. I usually get 1.5 days, much less if you use the gps. Some say, just charge it every night, but I like to track my sleep and heart rate etc. The garmin she gets anywhere from 4-7 days on a charge depending on activity and it charges much faster then the Apple.

Last edited by Bongoxxx; 12-01-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have a collection of high end watches and stopped wearing them once I got the Samsung Galaxy Frontier S3 smartwatch. It syncs up perfectly with the Samsung phones. It will work with the iPhone platform, but some of the functions won't be available. You'll have to look it up. I like it best for paying for things without having to use a physical card. I uploaded the two debit cards I mostly use and that's it. I also like being able to switch faces and there are ton available.
      12-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I just ordered the Samsung Galaxy Watch (the first, not the 3 - prefer the styling of the original) with Bluetooth only and in 42mm size. I estimate my wrist circumference to be about 18.4 - 18.7 cm and think the 46mm would be just a little too big. I've got a 45mm mechanical that I never wear because, while it really does seem like it fits well, it just looks out of place.

The 42mm looks to be out of stock everywhere, but found it at Target for $220. Walmart had it for $160, but out of stock in black - Target price matched against the Rose Gold and should be here next week. Sure seems like a lot of watch for $160. Will be my first smart watch, and I'm still on the fence. Hope I like it.

Thanks again for the suggestions. The Galaxy really does look to be the best I've found for my needs. Completely overlooked them assuming they wouldn't be compatible with an iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Garmin 935 is what I use but I run a lot and enjoy the metrics it provides. I think it looks good too.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I just ordered the Samsung Galaxy Watch (the first, not the 3 - prefer the styling of the original) with Bluetooth only and in 42mm size. I estimate my wrist circumference to be about 18.4 - 18.7 cm and think the 46mm would be just a little too big. I've got a 45mm mechanical that I never wear because, while it really does seem like it fits well, it just looks out of place.

The 42mm looks to be out of stock everywhere, but found it at Target for $220. Walmart had it for $160, but out of stock in black - Target price matched against the Rose Gold and should be here next week. Sure seems like a lot of watch for $160. Will be my first smart watch, and I'm still on the fence. Hope I like it.

Thanks again for the suggestions. The Galaxy really does look to be the best I've found for my needs. Completely overlooked them assuming they wouldn't be compatible with an iPhone.
That's exactly the watch I have. The 42mm Galaxy watch. Download the Facer app to get a lot of cool free and buyable watch faces.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I am not a watch guy, I simply don’t like wearing anything on my wrist. But, I bought an Apple Watch so I can get feedback on my runs and it’s much easier than an iPhone in an armband.
      12-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
That's exactly the watch I have. The 42mm Galaxy watch. Download the Facer app to get a lot of cool free and buyable watch faces.
Nice! We can be Galaxy bros in Tally. I’m out on the east side in horse country towards Miccosukee.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #15
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I was once interested in Garmin Titanium Smart Watch but I thought it wouldn't be a smart way for me shelling out a hefty money spent on it lol
      12-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I had the Tag Connect for a while and it was cool for a bit, but I just felt like I looked at my watch way too much, might as well look at my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #17
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I have a Rolex GMT and an Omega Speedmaster but I'm also a fan of the Apple Watch. My latest one is a 42mm space grey stainless steel cellular. It's a waterproof phone/watch.

The first one I bought was a space grey aluminum. After about 2 years the glue on the crystal gave and the crystal just popped out.

The next one I want is 44mm gold stainless steel 6 series where the display is constantly on.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Nice! We can be Galaxy bros in Tally. I’m out on the east side in horse country towards Miccosukee.
Haha That's awesome! I'm closer to midtown near Thomasville road and the 4rivers bbq place.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #19
TKDbilly
Private (and reserved, existential)
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40i; 2001 Z3

Garage List
2001 Z3  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
One of my two Bremonts; both are tied to racing/cars; this one, the IONBird relates to Rolls-Royce
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #20
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

I have a brightling navitimer for a dress watch and wear an Apple Watch6 for my day-to-day activities. The Apple Watch recently saved me from a major health problem and maybe my life. I am 70 years old and in good shape, People constantly tell me I look 55. I was sitting watching TV with no symptoms, when my heart for no good reason went into afib. I couldn’t feel it, I couldn’t tell, but my watch started dinging like crazy and telling me I was in afib. Knowing afib can cause clots and stroke, I went down to the ER and indeed I was in Afib.They immediately admitted me to the cardiac wing and the next morning, I had a cardioversion shock treatment which put me back to normal, the cardiologist said he really believed in the watch, and believed it helped beat the stroke/damage. I’m a believer. Whatever smartwatch you buy, if you’re over 55, get one that monitors your health functions, they work.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-09-2021 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
Webb70113.00
vreihen1614883.50
DocL1922.50
      02-09-2021, 02:07 AM   #21
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I have a Hybrid Smart Watch from Skagen and I like it.

They just released a new Hybrid HR watch that I like too. Fully customizable, weather, activity tracker, heart rate monitor, multiple time zones, social media alerts and more.

I noticed in all of these watch posts I have never seen anyone mention Skagen. They are SUPER reasonable, classy and very clean designs and I love em
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #22
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

more review, is it worth it?

I dont have any watch, I mean no more. I had a Stuhrling one, beautiful, but -dead-on-arrival-, Stuhrling was charging me 50$usd to (paid 200$cad) ; send it, repair and reship. YES for a DOA article.Still arguing with them since 2019!!!!!! Still didnt received it.

Back to topic, saw this one, launching today, seems very nice for the price, 199$ cad.

wondering if its a gimmic, or can be useful based on real smart watch user

https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/product/oneplus-watch
Appreciate 0