12-05-2023, 11:26 PM   #1
msdss2
Registered
Rep
Drives: RX7, M3, Evo 9, X6M, M2C

Garage List
Vanos Pressure Regulator - Question

Part #: 11-36-7-838-080

I had my VANOS serviced by a shop in Dallas. They supposedly installed an all-new Beison Systems unit. This pressure regulator though looks crusty AF. So I have a few questions.

1) Is it common for this to get replaced when the entire system is refreshed? Or do you just leave it alone if it's working?

2) How hard is it to replace this, it's an eye sore, and I hate seeing it. I don't care about spending the money for a new one. I just really don't want to F with VANOS if it's going to be a pain in the ass, or if it's easy to screw something up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
NB STIG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp G83

Garage List
I understand your hesitation to replace/service the Vanos Pressure Regulator. However, the process to service/replace the regulator is quite simple. I would assume that the actual filter was replaced and the regulator was cleaned when they did the Vanos service, but if it wasn't, the attached picture has all the parts you will need to do it yourself. There are a couple of YouTube videos that shows the entire process. All you need is basic tools and the correct parts. If you ask me, I probably just clean/remove the rust and keep the part as-is. If you service the regulator and change the filter every 30K miles, it should outlast the car. I hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0