Technical Sections DIY and Maintenance

02-07-2024, 06:03 PM   #1
mayday
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Rav 4

Question e46 M3 SMG Doner car + rolling shell help with how to do it

Hi Everyone.

I need some advice regarding a "situation" I'm in my step son's dad recently passed and the two of them had a really good relationship.
I want to honor my son's dad and rebuild the car but i cannot do it in it's original shell. Mechanically the car is good shape kept up with all upkeeping and has 75K miles on it.

The e46 SMG convertible is beyond trashed on the inside and outside and has a cracked suspension mount on the rear driver side.

The only way i see this happening is if i find another car and swap the engine + transmission etc into it.

I have not done this before and i want to know usually how does the rolling shell work. If i find one what should I be looking for and also was potholes i might encounter.

how does swapping a new engine into a frame work do i need a title for the shell. I really have no idea about any of this and would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0